Planning 1st Elk hunting trip....NEED HELP

601handryan

Ok guys, here it goes. I have made the decision to plan my first elk hunting trip. I dont know where to start. I would like to go to CO or WY. What would you experienced guys reccomend as far as units and/or outfitters or even public land? I know this is not something to plan overnight and I am aware that I may need prefrence points. If it takes me 3 years to plan this hunt, so be it. It'll take me some time to get in shape for it anyways. I've been hunting since I was just a little boy (33 now) but mainly in the South (Mississippi). Very experienced in hunting the elusive whitetail deer and Eastern Turkey. Besides that I'm ignorant. Just need to be pointed in the right direction. Maybe even chase after some speed goats while planning hunts. Oh yeah, first trip will be a rifle hunt and very capable and confident to 600-700 yards. If all goes well, perhaps the archery trip will be next. Thanks for reading and sorry for being so long winded.

When I went to Colorado for the forst time I was lucky enough to go with someone who had been going for almost 30 years. I hunted with him for 10+ years before he passed away, but he taught me everything he could, including all of his best hunting spots. The best suggestion I could give you is to find an existing group of guys that are going and try to tag along, or, go with an outfitter that hunts on public land. Choose an area you want to hunt for the type of land you want to hunt and for success.

While doing the outfitter chasing, think about how comfortable you are with horses. They are a useful tool in CO. We rent them, have some of our own tack, two trailers and have gotten expereince on the back of the animal.

When hunting Elk in high altitude, miles from anything, with weather that is unexpected at times, you will find yourself needing gear you never thought of. I fortunately have gotten to the point where I only have to buy basic stuff and reloading supplies. But I have several thousand dollars worth of gear.

I hunt unit 43, second season. This is the first year I was not successful, but that was sort of by choice, or should I say a poor choice.

It's an addiction. I am already dreaming of it.

Thanks Marble. I know of a couple of guys that go on public land group hunts. That's not a bad idea. As far as horses go, not a problem. I am very familiar with them. I've spent countless hours on trail rides with my horse. Havent' ridden in a while, but it's kinda like riding a bike. You dont forget. Thanks for your advice.

And as far as the weather, you ain't kidding. I spent two years in Wyoming working. I've actually seen snowfall every month in the calender. Freaking AMAZING!!!!

I have been to Colorado a few times and Wyoming three times. Wyoming is my favorite. I am 61 years young now and can't do DIY hunts anymore so I opt for the outiftter service.

With that said, I do like the wilderness experience which is why I go with Bill Perry with Hidden Creek Outfitters. Bill takes you in close to the Yellowstone border, which is about a 10 hour horse back trip in. It is a challenging hunt with some of the most beautiful country imagenable. Also, you will not have to worry about running into other hunting parties.

Season before last, I was able to take about a 340 - 350 bull. This last season I had a chance on a 370ish bull, but the stars were not aligned and so it goes.

If you are considering Wyoming, there is a draw and you must get into it now since the end date for the 2015 season application period is approaching soon.

Good luck and choose wisely with whatever option you take.

P.S. I am an old boy originally from Baton Rouge, La. and use to hunt lower Mississippi too.

I have been to Colorado a few times and Wyoming three times. Wyoming is my favorite. I am 61 years young now and can't do DIY hunts anymore so I opt for the outiftter service.

With that said, I do like the wilderness experience which is why I go with Bill Perry with Hidden Creek Outfitters. Bill takes you in close to the Yellowstone border, which is about a 10 hour horse back trip in. It is a challenging hunt with some of the most beautiful country imagenable. Also, you will not have to worry about running into other hunting parties.

Season before last, I was able to take about a 340 - 350 bull. This last season I had a chance on a 370ish bull, but the stars were not aligned and so it goes.

If you are considering Wyoming, there is a draw and you must get into it now since the end date for the 2015 season application period is approaching soon.

Good luck and choose wisely with whatever option you take.

P.S. I am an old boy originally from Baton Rouge, La. and use to hunt lower Mississippi too.

+1 on the WY choice! Have no hands on experience but heard many good things, esp if speed goat is in the menu. WY by far has the healthiest herd.

Rick, this reminded me ... a few years ago I helped a friend recover his elk he shot the PM before. He's 62 at the time, he instructed me the whereabouts and gestured to move on and he'll catch up with me (I'm a young 52 now :D) as soon he catches his breath ... but every time I turn around and check up on him, he's got a cigarette lit while huffing and puffing. :cool:

The only thing I can think of at the time is that I hope he won't have a heart attack on me ... relieved when his friend finally showed up with a 4X4.

Cheers!

Thanks guys. Yeah I guess I'm kinda partial towards WY. Like I said, I worked up there for two years. I've seen the Red Desert and the mountains of Pinedale. Probably the most beautiful place I've been. I tell my wife all the time that if she gave me the option to move anywhere in the US it would be WY. And yes, they have a healthy heard of Antelope. As we say in the south, "More than you can shake a stick at!!!" Just so dadgum cold:rolleyes::rolleyes:... Coldest i've seen up there was -29F.

Either WY or CO has great hunting, the #1 thing I can recommend to get the most out of the hunt is be in shape. At 33 year young you don't have any excuses :) Don't worry about not living at altitude, if you're in shape, you're body will compensate no problem.

If you don't have any friends to take you out, then I think an outfitter is a must for your first elk hunt. Have you looked into the group hunt put on through this LRH forum? I'm pretty sure it was in Wyoming and the bulls they shot were all pretty darn big. At least it's an option for a place to start.

Good luck, lots of work to figure it all out for sure.

I had the same concerns, so when Len organized the hunt with non typical outfitters, I signed up. My experience is that you could not find a better outfitter. If you want an elk their guides will get you one. You may have to work like a convict but Robb and his crew will get you an elk. Great guys and I had the time of my life.

I signed up for nest years archery hunt.

I had the same concerns, so when Len organized the hunt with non typical outfitters, I signed up. My experience is that you could not find a better outfitter. If you want an elk their guides will get you one. You may have to work like a convict but Robb and his crew will get you an elk. Great guys and I had the time of my life.

I signed up for nest years archery hunt.

If I were in the market for an outfitter hunt I think Len's hunt with non typical outfitters would be the ticket.

601handryan,

I'm assuming you're after bull elk.

If you're going alone, you will almost assuredly need a guide. Elk are huge. You won't be able to move one by yourself.

Of the two states you've identified, I'd go Wyoming w/o question.

W/o bonus points, I can't imagine you're doing a rut hunt. That means that an OTC tag will be for after the rut in non-premium units. That means success rates will be low and hunting pressure high.

Here's what I'd suggest: figure out which states & provinces consistently produce the biggest bulls. Apply for the best areas in at least four states & provinces. You'll probably not be close to a tag for about 10 years. If you're drawn for a premium area, it might be your only chance for a legitimate trophy. Hire a guide. Do not forget to hire a guide. In case you've forgotten, hire a guide.

Trophy bull elk hunting is a very limited opportunity. It's darn near to the point where it's de facto once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. If you draw a premium tag, you won't want to blow what might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity by trying to do it yourself, especially if you don't know the area.

After 22 years, I was drawn for what many call the best bull elk unit in the country. After I was drawn, I hired a guide even though it's common to see many huge elk every single day of the rut hunt. However, it was worth the price of admission to have a consummate professional's knowledge of immediately assessing a bull for suitability for shooting. My guide could look a bull over for a few seconds and tell me with 5 points of where it'd score; hence, whether I ought to shoot.

If you're drawn in a premium area rut hunt and you hire a guide, you probably won't be doing long range shooting. My guide was almost 100% at getting hunters with 250 yards of trophies. He got me 130 yards from a HUGE 7x7. He weighed better than 900 pounds. It's in process of mounting.

You will hunt hard. Don't forget this: you will hunt hard. In case it's slipped your mind: you will hunt your butt off. Were I you, I'd be looking at lightweight rifles that are fast handling. Anything in the .308 Win class & up will work. Keep in mind that every year HUGE bulls are killed by arrows that fly around 300 FPS. My guide had a pronounced preference for the 7MM Rem Mag. And make sure you can shoot your rifle. a .308 Win that you can shoot will be a whole lot better than a .338 LAPUA that you can't. I killed my bull with a 160 grain Partition from my 7MM Rem Mag. Were I to buy a rifle for hunting all Rocky Mountain game including trophy bull elk, I'd buy a 22" barreled lightweight .280 Rem, put a VX-3 2.5x8 on it, & never look back.

Killing huge bulls gets in your blood. I can only pray for another opportunity. I'm going back to acquiring bonus points. In the meantime, I'm considering trying Wyoming. It might take a few years to get a tag there, but if I'm drawn & I hire a guide, I ought to be able to get a chance at a 340 bull.

BTW, the unit I hunted last year requires at least 20 bonus points before you can begin to think about getting lucky. With an OTC tag, you'll need prayers just to find a shooter bull, let alone a trophy. That's why I'd suggest saving money to hire a guide while applying and acquiring bonus points.

*Identify the best trophy units in the nation
*Acquire bonus points for them
*Save money for a guide
*Get in excellent shape, you will hunt hard
*Buy a lightweight, fast-handling rifle such as a .308 Win
*Practice with your rifle, especially jump shooting
*If you're drawn, it might be your only shot at a legitimate trophy

601handryan, I wish you the absolute best of luck.

I tend to think a little different than SansSouci. Here is my suggestion: pick a state and start accumulating points, but while doing that, HUNT IT! I don't know how Wyoming works, but in Colorado you can get a preference point and still get over the counter bull tags for a ton of different areas. For me, I would much rather hunt for 10+ years than sit around waiting to draw a trophy tag. Yes, it is difficult to shoot a big bull, but it isn't unheard of. People shoot 300+ bulls in Colorado every year with over the counter tags. So why not be out hunting and chasing elk? That is the best way to learn anyway!

cohunter14,

I would tend to agree with you with a few caveats. I try to hunt as much as I can but I can't hunt in premium areas without tags for them. Hunting the rut is a whole lot different than hunting October. Hence, that which is learned from hunting while waiting for a premium tag will assuredly have little applicability. I had huge bulls with a hundred yards of me during a rut hunt. That's very unlikely during an October hunt.

I do agree with you that hunting can be better than not hunting. However, one has to hunt smarter, not harder. Colorado has a lot of elk, as far as I know it still sells OTC tags, and has the most hunting pressure I've ever seen. Therefore, my choice would be to try for premium tag draws in at least 4 states. The chance of drawing the first half-dozen years won't be great. But eventually, odds get better of drawing in one of four states while still accumulating bonus points. I'd rather wait 10 years for a shot at a trophy bull than other options. But that's just me.

Without a plan for drawing a premium tag, it's far more luck than anything at a shot at a 300 bull. If hunters are satisfied with a 300 bull, I'm good. I would rather have units in least 4 states going where guides won't want you to pull a trigger on anything under 360.

It took me a few elk seasons to figure out the game plan. I knew that if I kept going with easy to get tags, success rate would remain low and quality of bulls would not be there. As trophy elk hunting is now, it is all about bonus points and long waits. And some hunters might never see a 360 bull in their lives while a select group of hunters will look over 360 bulls every day of their rut hunt.

I want to in midst of bugling bulls again, anticipating an appearance of a huge 7x7 bull, my guide glassing him and within seconds giving me thumbs up or we're looking for bigger. For me, I can only pray that that was not a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.