Help with 1st Elk trip - Colorado

I took two first timers out with me this year. One said he had a headache every day and a little blood in his mucus. The other guy got altitude sickness. He got to the severe symptoms with vomiting and fluid in the lungs. He had to leave after just half day of hunting. We were at 8000' camping and hunting around 10,000'.
Everyone will have some symptoms and some will not be able to handle certain altitudes.
I did learn one interesting fact though. Ever notice when you get up in altitude you have to urinate constantly like a cow ******* on a flat rock ? Found out that was the kidneys adjusting to the lack of CO2. I always thought it was my increased water intake.

Thanks everyone!

I've been running for a year anywhere from 2-4 miles daily with a few 5-7 mile runs in too. Sometimes with a backpack with weight. I have been lifting weights 3-5 days a week for about the last 4 months. Just need to push away from the table sooner :( and the holidays aren't helping. Hoping to be at fighting weight this spring though.

I've also been thinking more and more about the cow hunt. Kicking around the idea of a Wyoming Unit 7 late season hunt with some leftover lope doe tags on a nearby unit.

You are probably in the top 5-10% of hunters fitness wise. I could not run 7 miles if my life depended on it. I was challenged, but had no trouble on my successful diy trip, with no pack animals, and an otc tag.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.