Colorado unit 74 1st rifle season elk

Josie

Drew my first elk tag for unit 74 Co. I'm from Louisiana and this will be my first western hunt so any info on gear / tactics / or the area would greatly be appreciated. I will be hunting 1st season rifle on the Hermosa Creek Trail Head just above Durango. I've been reading and researching tons but this is a total diff. type of hunting as I mainly still hunt whitetail and duck hunt. Not sure what to expect so any and all advise will be greatful.

Due to the higher altitude, you should try to arrive a few days before opening day to get acclimated to the thinner air. You can use the time to do some scouting around. The weather typically is nice fall weather but you need to plan for a snowstorm because it can happen.

Between now and then get ahold of a topo map of the area and study it. Try to identify areas off the road and trail to investigate.

If it's anything like Idaho look for the worst possible place to pack an elk out of that's off the beaten path and look there. Also make sure your in the best shape you can be and learn to be patient, find good glassing spots and let spotting scopes do a lot of the walking for you. Not much help but I promise good glass will save a lot of tread on you hiking boots and you have a better chance of actually killing the elk you find then when you just stumble into them they smell you and disappear

So how did your hunt in 74 go? Considering this unit for 2016 any info would be appreciated.

It is beautiful country. Didn't see any elk one guy on our group killed a bull that was shot in muzzleloader season.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.