First elk hunt

florida boy

Doing an OTC Colorado hunt this year. Going with a friend that went a few years back. During the second season it sounds like the elk will still be in higher elevations depending on weather of course. My question is: Is there anything we could do to adjust or be prepared for altitude? The guy that went with my friend before got sick and could not even hunt. I want to try and be prepared if possible. thanks.

Congrats on taking your first trip. Made mine last year. Had a blast, absolutely beautiful country. I too was worried about the altitude, had heard of several others having the same problem you described. Several people I know suggested the same thing. To just take it easy the first day or two and drink plenty of water until you get used to it. I walked several days a week with a weighted pack up and down hills to try to get ready. I live in WV at around 2000 ft elevation, and we hunted around 9000 ft. I had no problems. Hunted all week. My other advice is to prepare yourself, it's addictive, I'm planning this years trip now.

Fla, most I've seen including myself are fine after the first full day. Some Tylenol or Aleve helps also. Take it easy to start and you should be fine. Be in good cardio shape and do stair climbing. Have fun. Good luck

There are some meds you can get from your doc; they help oxygenate your blood. You take them several days before you go, while you are there & afterwards.
They always seemed to help me.
It always helps to sleep at lower elevations. When your breathing gets real shallow you can wake up thinking you are suffocating. Always hard to hike at night, even downhill. Unless you've got a cloudless full moon.
Good luck.

Hi Florida. My friend who runs ultra-marathons says the best replacement for altitude is training in heat and humidity. I put on my hunting pack with 75lbs and walk up and down creek banks and drainage ditches. Make sure to have one good pair of boots, and one descent pair of replacements. Take one regular(real) aspirin every day a week before the trip until the last day of the hunt. If you take aleve go easy because it ts hard on the kidneys, especially if you are dehydrated. Good luck

Get there a few days early and take it easy, drink a lot of water. Altitude sickness can be deadly! Get in the best shape you can.

Thanks for responses. It's plenty hot and humid here. Planning on working out on elliptical, stairs and walking with pack. I'll look into meds and aspirin makes sense.

I took a guy out from NC who did his training on a bike. Not good enough, and I only took him to about 6000' elevation. If you live in northern Fla, find some hills to climb. Buy a shoting stick, and use it for balance. If there are no hills around, find some tall buildings, and climb the stairways, both up and down. Walking on rough terrain is best. The training sessions should last at least 2 hrs. Do it as often as you can. Daily is best. Aspirin is a good idea. Wear your pack while training with at least 30 lbs in it. More if you'll be packing in to an area and setting up camp.

Get there as early as you can (a day or two if possible). The time at that altitude will help your body acclimate. Go easy, don't over exert yourself the first day or two. Drink plenty of water (avoid excessive alcohol), and drink even if you are not thirsty. If your urine is dark yellow, you are not drinking enough. A gallon per day is minimum. As suggested earlier, try to sleep at a lower altitude than you are hunting (make your camp lower, if possible).
I use Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and Recover (in a Camelbak) along with their Altitude Adjustment tablets. They do help me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts