HOPING TO GET AN ELK BEFORE I AM DEAD

I live in the Northeast and only have experience hunting whitetails but have an Elk hunt in my bucket list. I have 6 significant challenges:

1. Time is not on my side: I am 56 and would like to to this in the next 5 to 6 years while I am still younger. I would love to do a DIY elk hunt (I love challenges), but this is not practical with my circumstances.
2. Limited Points. I only have 1 CO point and 1 WY point. Started this fantasy late in life...
3. NO EXPERIENCE with Elk hunting (I hunt whitetail).
4. Live in the Northeast -- so I will not get much opportunity to scout extensively in Elk Country.
5. Limited trips. I will only get to do one elk hunt in my life, maybe two. ( I am leaning towards and am willing to pay for a guided hunt because of this).
6. NO HUNTING PARTNER FOR THIS ELK HUNT: (My youngest son (25 years old) wants to deer and elk hunt with me, but he has not even taken the time to do a hunter's ed course yet (keeps promising). Who knows when that will happen because he is busy and has not made this a priority. (I will probably be dead when he finally gets his hunting license :).

I am willing to do a guided hunt-- whatever can tilt odds of success in my favor since I have only one or two possible trips in my life, and no experience hunting elk. I really prefer to get a bull, but will settle for a cow.

If I don't have a partner for spotting, ranging, packing, etc. is this feasible in a guided hunt? I was looking at NTO outfitters as a possibility but honestly I would go with recommendations. My fantasy would be a spot and stalk hunt vs timber hunt, but I know have to be prepared to take the opportunity if it happens under any hunting scenario. (I enjoy long range shooting, but I want to be ethical in my hunting approach by making sure I set myself up for the best kill under the scenario).

Is it unrealistic to plan a hunt without a partner? Tell it to me straight. Do guided hunt arrangements allow me to get help spotting/ranging/packing out like a partner would? Forgive my dumb questions but I have never been on a guided hunt. I cannot even plan what state to hunt, where to get points etc, without knowing who my partner is an where he has points to hunt the same hunt. I am also concerned with hunting with someone I have not hunted with before ( I have read the horror stories here about hunting with a new partner on an elk trip).

I don't have a set budget yet-- I will spend some decent money if need be, but the budget is not unlimited and will vary.

PS I won't underestimate the importance of getting in shape (high altitude), having the right equipment, and being prepared. I like to do things the right way, or not at all.

I really envy you guys that live in Elk country!!

I love this website thanks in advance guys!

Hoping to get an elk before I am dead. :)
You sound like me after that one big game animal of a lifetime. For me, it was the Bison male or female bison will do. I'm 64 than when I shot bull bison, and yes, it did cost me some bucks $2800 that was more than willing to pay for him. Many people here Alaska every year will put in for bison permit but most won't be chosen and those that are may still not get anything, I met both kinds, the ones that receive the ones who do but still can't find their dream bison. Do it while you can because of the older you, it does it harder hunt. By the way, the wife and I still have meat from the first bison bull I took in 2016. I am planning on another bison hunt next year. Good luck. Rudy F., Alaska.

You sound like me after that one big game animal of a lifetime. For me, it was the Bison male or female bison will do. I'm 64 than when I shot bull bison, and yes, it did cost me some bucks $2800 that was more than willing to pay for him. Many people here Alaska every year will put in for bison permit but most won't be chosen and those that are may still not get anything, I met both kinds, the ones that receive the ones who do but still can't find their dream bison. Do it while you can because of the older you, it does it harder hunt. By the way, the wife and I still have meat from the first bison bull I took in 2016. I am planning on another bison hunt next year. Good luck. Rudy F., Alaska.
Thanks brother! and that bison hunt sounds awesome!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.