HOPING TO GET AN ELK BEFORE I AM DEAD

I live in the Northeast and only have experience hunting whitetails but have an Elk hunt in my bucket list. I have 6 significant challenges:

1. Time is not on my side: I am 56 and would like to to this in the next 5 to 6 years while I am still younger. I would love to do a DIY elk hunt (I love challenges), but this is not practical with my circumstances.
2. Limited Points. I only have 1 CO point and 1 WY point. Started this fantasy late in life...
3. NO EXPERIENCE with Elk hunting (I hunt whitetail).
4. Live in the Northeast -- so I will not get much opportunity to scout extensively in Elk Country.
5. Limited trips. I will only get to do one elk hunt in my life, maybe two. ( I am leaning towards and am willing to pay for a guided hunt because of this).
6. NO HUNTING PARTNER FOR THIS ELK HUNT: (My youngest son (25 years old) wants to deer and elk hunt with me, but he has not even taken the time to do a hunter's ed course yet (keeps promising). Who knows when that will happen because he is busy and has not made this a priority. (I will probably be dead when he finally gets his hunting license :).

I am willing to do a guided hunt-- whatever can tilt odds of success in my favor since I have only one or two possible trips in my life, and no experience hunting elk. I really prefer to get a bull, but will settle for a cow.

If I don't have a partner for spotting, ranging, packing, etc. is this feasible in a guided hunt? I was looking at NTO outfitters as a possibility but honestly I would go with recommendations. My fantasy would be a spot and stalk hunt vs timber hunt, but I know have to be prepared to take the opportunity if it happens under any hunting scenario. (I enjoy long range shooting, but I want to be ethical in my hunting approach by making sure I set myself up for the best kill under the scenario).

Is it unrealistic to plan a hunt without a partner? Tell it to me straight. Do guided hunt arrangements allow me to get help spotting/ranging/packing out like a partner would? Forgive my dumb questions but I have never been on a guided hunt. I cannot even plan what state to hunt, where to get points etc, without knowing who my partner is an where he has points to hunt the same hunt. I am also concerned with hunting with someone I have not hunted with before ( I have read the horror stories here about hunting with a new partner on an elk trip).

I don't have a set budget yet-- I will spend some decent money if need be, but the budget is not unlimited and will vary.

PS I won't underestimate the importance of getting in shape (high altitude), having the right equipment, and being prepared. I like to do things the right way, or not at all.

I really envy you guys that live in Elk country!!

I love this website thanks in advance guys!

Hoping to get an elk before I am dead. :)
I am in a similar position,as far as age and no hunting partner. However, I do go alone and hire an outfitter in Montana where the tags are readily accessible,but pricey, I have been to Colorado also. I would suggest you look into subscribing to RMEF magazine where they have a host of outfitters that can meet your preferences. An outfitter,guided hunt is not inexpensive. With lodging,meals, you can easily start at 5g, not counting airfare,processing and tips.

However,they are great experiences, I prefer stalking, horseback, etc. If you would like to talk more, and are willing to send me your number, you can email it to me at; [email protected]. I could always use a hunter partner.

A real experience....from one coast to the other...skip the Rockies...
Checkout SpoonCreekOutfitters in southwest Oregon....
I have known those guys for ever......they may be booked up for this season but I bet next season they have openings...hunting leased timber company lands...and leased private lands...tough to beat for a Roosevelt....
I saw them at FNAWS a few weeks ago.....they did really well with clients harvest percentage...and turned down bulls because of age class....they want you to get a nice mature animal....but it is ALWAYS the clients choice...
I would contact Ron Davis...as there are 3 or four actual licensed guides in this business.....

I posted earlier about Buffalo Horn Ranch near Meeker CO. We've hunted both mulies and elk there and it's world class. These are not ranched animals and it certainly isn't a canned hunt but a huge parcel of about 15+ sq miles bordered by landlocked BLM land.
Grant Edinger 970-878-4633

FYI I am looking for an outfitter in the west to book a hunt, elk, mule deer, antelope, something along those lines. When I read what you wrote about Buffalo Horn Ranch, I found an article that stated that the ranch is up for auction to the highest bidder.

www.craigdailypress.com/news/buffalo-horn-ranch-to-be-sold-to-the-highest-bidder/

I'm surprised that Utah isn't mentioned more.

A couple years ago my dad decided that he want to go on a guided elk hunt to check that off his bucket list. We live in western WA where there are plenty of elk and I'll pass by a herd on my way to work a couple times a week. The problem is that I rarely have time to elk hunt just because the 9 day modern firearm season just doesn't work out with my work schedule. The other complication was that my dad was 60 at the time and in pretty poor health; 1 stroke, emphysema, broke his back twice and the list goes on. And the last big issue was that I was going to foot the bill for the whole thing. With only a couple years before my dad wouldn't be able to physically do any hunting, my budget was pretty limited.

I called a lot of outfitters trying to find a hunt that would work for my dad, and which would allow me to bring my 10 year old son along as a non-hunting guest. There were lots of options but only a few that could accommodate my schedule, time line, budget and the physical limitations of my dad and son. What we ended up with was a Utah cow elk hunt in late January through Bearpaw Outfitters. My dad was always a meat hunter up until he stopped hunting nearly 25 years ago, so antlers weren't a big deal. He just wanted the experience of going on a guided hunt and seeing some elk. The tags were easy to get, reasonably priced and the season worked out with my schedule.

We had a great time on the trip and the outfitter was great. We stayed a motel in town and the guide picked us up in the morning to go hunt. The goal on the first day was to get my dad's elk so we cruised around the BLM land through 20"+ of snow glassing for elk that would be within the 300 yard max range that my dad was capable of shooting my 300 Win Mag. The guide did a great job of checking to make sure that everything we did was in line with my dad's (and son's) physical limitations. When it came time for the shot the guide helped me get my dad through the snow to a good shooting position. The shot was good and the cow was DRT but it was 230 yards out in some deep snow that my dad couldn't get through. My dad felt terrible about not being able to help get the elk out but guide did a great job about not shaming my dad for not being physically able to make to the downed animal. On day two when I went to fill my tag, we hunted completely different and spent out time trudging through the snow so I could try and get a cow with my revolver. Ultimately I had to cut the hunt short so I could get my dad back home and ended up just using a rifle to take my cow on the morning of day 3. The guide did an excellent job of matching the hunting style to the needs of the day.

We didn't come home with a set of antlers but that wasn't the point to begin with. It was a great hunt and an amazing trip that my dad and son were both 100% satisfied with. I guess I'd just suggest that you figure out what you want from the hunt and start there. If time is a limiting factor and you're not hung up on antlers, I'd just go for a cow hunt and have a great time. The prices are very reasonable and it would let you experience an elk hunt at least once. If you have a couple years to wait, keep stuffing money aside and applying for bull permits. By the time you get drawn you may have enough cash tucked away to pay for a pretty nice guided trip.

I live in MT now, I have lived all over the west, and would love to help you out. If you'd like, we could exchange phone numbers go ahead and send me a PM.

I live in the Northeast and only have experience hunting whitetails but have an Elk hunt in my bucket list. I have 6 significant challenges:

1. Time is not on my side: I am 56 and would like to to this in the next 5 to 6 years while I am still younger. I would love to do a DIY elk hunt (I love challenges), but this is not practical with my circumstances.
2. Limited Points. I only have 1 CO point and 1 WY point. Started this fantasy late in life...
4. Live in the Northeast -- so I will not get much opportunity to scout extensively in Elk Country.
5. Limited trips. I will only get to do one elk hunt in my life, maybe two. ( I am leaning towards and am willing to pay for a guided hunt because of this).
6. NO HUNTING PARTNER FOR THIS ELK HUNT: (My youngest son (25 years old) wants to deer and elk hunt with me, but he has not even taken the time to do a hunter's ed course yet (keeps promising). Who knows when that will happen because he is busy and has not made this a priority. (I will probably be dead when he finally gets his hunting license :).

I am willing to do a guided hunt-- whatever can tilt odds of success in my favor since I have only one or two possible trips in my life, and no experience hunting elk. I really prefer to get a bull, but will settle for a cow.

If I don't have a partner for spotting, ranging, packing, etc. is this feasible in a guided hunt? I was looking at NTO outfitters as a possibility but honestly I would go with recommendations. My fantasy would be a spot and stalk hunt vs timber hunt, but I know have to be prepared to take the opportunity if it happens under any hunting scenario. (I enjoy long range shooting, but I want to be ethical in my hunting approach by making sure I set myself up for the best kill under the scenario).

Is it unrealistic to plan a hunt without a partner? Tell it to me straight. Do guided hunt arrangements allow me to get help spotting/ranging/packing out like a partner would? Forgive my dumb questions but I have never been on a guided hunt. I cannot even plan what state to hunt, where to get points etc, without knowing who my partner is an where he has points to hunt the same hunt. I am also concerned with hunting with someone I have not hunted with before ( I have read the horror stories here about hunting with a new partner on an elk trip).

I don't have a set budget yet-- I will spend some decent money if need be, but the budget is not unlimited and will vary.

PS I won't underestimate the importance of getting in shape (high altitude), having the right equipment, and being prepared. I like to do things the right way, or not at all.

Check out the Nine Mile Guest Ranch, Meeker, Co. No BS kind of guy but good people with high success rate.

Best bet is a guided trip. Generally everything except your personal items and maybe your sleeping bag is provided. Guide always accompanies you every step of the way. It is the guides responsibility to get your meat and trophy to camp. They cook as well and spot that's the job.But take a look at Red Stag in New Zealand! That's a bucket list! And I could use some company on that trip! None of my regular partners want to go. I own a hunting property in Alberta Canada and was a guide and outfitter for 10 years in my younger life. Now it's bucket list time....if Stag makes your heart go pitter patter let me know.....

Best bet is a guided trip. Generally everything except your personal items and maybe your sleeping bag is provided. Guide always accompanies you every step of the way. It is the guides responsibility to get your meat and trophy to camp. They cook as well and spot that's the job.But take a look at Red Stag in New Zealand! That's a bucket list! And I could use some company on that trip! None of my regular partners want to go. I own a hunting property in Alberta Canada and was a guide and outfitter for 10 years in my younger life. Now it's bucket list time....if Stag makes your heart go pitter patter let me know.....
Thanks! Sounds pretty great!. My wife and I want to go to Australia and New Zealand for a trip (we are hoping in 2020 or 2021). My cousin Mark lives in ChristChurch. I am doubtful my wife would want to have me hunt during our trip, but dang, that would be really cool!

Last elk for me was when I was 70,just find a good outfitter in Colorado before they put the wolves the want (400)in there. I am 72 now and if I don't draw I will go spike elk hunting. Get plenty of exercise at least 5 days a week. You might want to come early to get some adjustment to the altitude I spend a lot of time in the hills at 5and 6000 plus feet.Good luck yo can d it.

Here in Oregon we have OTC bull hunts for the western side of the state. I won't lie to you the terrain is fairly harsh in most areas and the season is short but we have beautiful bulls and you can hunt guided or DIY. If you want a branch bull you'll want first season, second season is spike only in most units but there are a few units that allow you to hunt a branch bull in second season. If you want more info let me know.

I wish you luck! I'm about 10 years older than you and would really like to
go after one of our Ky. elk! I apply for my tags every year..But no luck yet?
I even buy chances for the big bull raffle hunt. Ours are 10 bucks for a bull rifle
and 10 for a cow tag so far I have donated a bunch of $20.00 bills?
No points you start over every year..
I lived there and registered for the draw eight years in a row opting for the bonus as well never been drawn.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.