HOPING TO GET AN ELK BEFORE I AM DEAD

if you have no help, limited time, limited points, but you have $$$-- then many of the guide services in CO offer land owner vouchers that you wouldn't even need to apply for a tag, just pay the guide service/land owner--chances of the guide putting you on an elk are very good--but he can't shoot one for you so there are no 100% guaranteed hunts

good luck and bring your check book, credit card, and cash to tip the guide etc

a friend of mine once traded hunt with someone and it went fine.
Some members here do group hunts, depending on the OP's location. I belive he can work something out with other members.

Last edited:
Just throwing out options, but if you want to do a DIY hunt then go for it. Really not as complicated as many think. Start researching OTC or easy to draw units on the CPW site, pick something you think is manageable as far as terrain and elevation, then jump on google earth and start looking around.

There is so much info online these days it's crazy. From videos on how to do the gutless method and packing to information on specific units it can almost be overwhelming. But a guy can learn a bunch before he even steps foot into an area.

You don't have to have a partner, I prefer solo elk hunting most of the time. Just be conservative on how far you think you can solo pack an elk. Whenever you hike into somewhere ask yourself if you know for a fact you can make 4-6 trips (depending on how much weight you can pack) in and out of there to get an animal out. If you can't then don't shoot anything in there.

Get ON-X maps on your phone or gps so you know where every piece of un-fenced private land is so you don't get into trouble. Look around to see what units you can draw in Colorado with your one point for first rifle season. Get there a few days early and drive around as much of the unit as you can to get a feel for where the roads are, where the camps of other hunters are, what the terrain of the unit is like on one side vs the other etc.

You can camp or get a hotel. Or camp for 2 days, get a hotel for a night to shower and sleep in a real bed then get back out to camp again. You don't have to hike 10 miles in to be into elk. Just be smart about where your hunting and pick little out of the way areas that might be overlooked. If there's two trailheads off a forest service road a few miles apart then find a place between the two where you can pull off the road and start hiking. Stay mobile, if you don't see any fresh sign then move and try a different spot.

Know that it's going to be tough, your going to be tired, you might get frustrated but when you finally see a elk that you found on your own it will all be worth it.

Just throwing out options, but if you want to do a DIY hunt then go for it. Really not as complicated as many think. Start researching OTC or easy to draw units on the CPW site, pick something you think is manageable as far as terrain and elevation, then jump on google earth and start looking around.

There is so much info online these days it's crazy. From videos on how to do the gutless method and packing to information on specific units it can almost be overwhelming. But a guy can learn a bunch before he even steps foot into an area.

You don't have to have a partner, I prefer solo elk hunting most of the time. Just be conservative on how far you think you can solo pack an elk. Whenever you hike into somewhere ask yourself if you know for a fact you can make 4-6 trips (depending on how much weight you can pack) in and out of there to get an animal out. If you can't then don't shoot anything in there.

Get ON-X maps on your phone or gps so you know where every piece of un-fenced private land is so you don't get into trouble. Look around to see what units you can draw in Colorado with your one point for first rifle season. Get there a few days early and drive around as much of the unit as you can to get a feel for where the roads are, where the camps of other hunters are, what the terrain of the unit is like on one side vs the other etc.

You can camp or get a hotel. Or camp for 2 days, get a hotel for a night to shower and sleep in a real bed then get back out to camp again. You don't have to hike 10 miles in to be into elk. Just be smart about where your hunting and pick little out of the way areas that might be overlooked. If there's two trailheads off a forest service road a few miles apart then find a place between the two where you can pull off the road and start hiking. Stay mobile, if you don't see any fresh sign then move and try a different spot.

Know that it's going to be tough, your going to be tired, you might get frustrated but when you finally see a elk that you found on your own it will all be worth it.

If it is a once in a lifetime elk hunt tho, would you DIY or get a guide? I have never used a guide - always DIY. But, if I had the funds and it was a first and last type deal, I think a guide would be worth the money.

I live in the Northeast and only have experience hunting whitetails but have an Elk hunt in my bucket list. I have 6 significant challenges:

1. Time is not on my side: I am 56 and would like to to this in the next 5 to 6 years while I am still younger. I would love to do a DIY elk hunt (I love challenges), but this is not practical with my circumstances.
2. Limited Points. I only have 1 CO point and 1 WY point. Started this fantasy late in life...
3. NO EXPERIENCE with Elk hunting (I hunt whitetail).
4. Live in the Northeast -- so I will not get much opportunity to scout extensively in Elk Country.
5. Limited trips. I will only get to do one elk hunt in my life, maybe two. ( I am leaning towards and am willing to pay for a guided hunt because of this).
6. NO HUNTING PARTNER FOR THIS ELK HUNT: (My youngest son (25 years old) wants to deer and elk hunt with me, but he has not even taken the time to do a hunter's ed course yet (keeps promising). Who knows when that will happen because he is busy and has not made this a priority. (I will probably be dead when he finally gets his hunting license :).

I am willing to do a guided hunt-- whatever can tilt odds of success in my favor since I have only one or two possible trips in my life, and no experience hunting elk. I really prefer to get a bull, but will settle for a cow.

If I don't have a partner for spotting, ranging, packing, etc. is this feasible in a guided hunt? I was looking at NTO outfitters as a possibility but honestly I would go with recommendations. My fantasy would be a spot and stalk hunt vs timber hunt, but I know have to be prepared to take the opportunity if it happens under any hunting scenario. (I enjoy long range shooting, but I want to be ethical in my hunting approach by making sure I set myself up for the best kill under the scenario).

Is it unrealistic to plan a hunt without a partner? Tell it to me straight. Do guided hunt arrangements allow me to get help spotting/ranging/packing out like a partner would? Forgive my dumb questions but I have never been on a guided hunt. I cannot even plan what state to hunt, where to get points etc, without knowing who my partner is an where he has points to hunt the same hunt. I am also concerned with hunting with someone I have not hunted with before ( I have read the horror stories here about hunting with a new partner on an elk trip).

I don't have a set budget yet-- I will spend some decent money if need be, but the budget is not unlimited and will vary.

PS I won't underestimate the importance of getting in shape (high altitude), having the right equipment, and being prepared. I like to do things the right way, or not at all.

I really envy you guys that live in Elk country!!

I love this website thanks in advance guys!

Hoping to get an elk before I am dead. :)
If I were you and had 1 shot to hunt elk I would go to Vancouver Island and shoot a giant Roosevelt Elk. Its not cheap but they have huge bulls there. If you need a spotter and pack rat just give me a call and I will gladly go with and help you out just for the experience and thrill of the hunt. I usually have just as much fun helping someone else get the animal of a lifetime as I do shooting one myself.

I live in the Northeast and only have experience hunting whitetails but have an Elk hunt in my bucket list. I have 6 significant challenges:

1. Time is not on my side: I am 56 and would like to to this in the next 5 to 6 years while I am still younger. I would love to do a DIY elk hunt (I love challenges), but this is not practical with my circumstances.
2. Limited Points. I only have 1 CO point and 1 WY point. Started this fantasy late in life...
4. Live in the Northeast -- so I will not get much opportunity to scout extensively in Elk Country.
5. Limited trips. I will only get to do one elk hunt in my life, maybe two. ( I am leaning towards and am willing to pay for a guided hunt because of this).
6. NO HUNTING PARTNER FOR THIS ELK HUNT: (My youngest son (25 years old) wants to deer and elk hunt with me, but he has not even taken the time to do a hunter's ed course yet (keeps promising). Who knows when that will happen because he is busy and has not made this a priority. (I will probably be dead when he finally gets his hunting license :).

I am willing to do a guided hunt-- whatever can tilt odds of success in my favor since I have only one or two possible trips in my life, and no experience hunting elk. I really prefer to get a bull, but will settle for a cow.

If I don't have a partner for spotting, ranging, packing, etc. is this feasible in a guided hunt? I was looking at NTO outfitters as a possibility but honestly I would go with recommendations. My fantasy would be a spot and stalk hunt vs timber hunt, but I know have to be prepared to take the opportunity if it happens under any hunting scenario. (I enjoy long range shooting, but I want to be ethical in my hunting approach by making sure I set myself up for the best kill under the scenario).

Is it unrealistic to plan a hunt without a partner? Tell it to me straight. Do guided hunt arrangements allow me to get help spotting/ranging/packing out like a partner would? Forgive my dumb questions but I have never been on a guided hunt. I cannot even plan what state to hunt, where to get points etc, without knowing who my partner is an where he has points to hunt the same hunt. I am also concerned with hunting with someone I have not hunted with before ( I have read the horror stories here about hunting with a new partner on an elk trip).

I don't have a set budget yet-- I will spend some decent money if need be, but the budget is not unlimited and will vary.

PS I won't underestimate the importance of getting in shape (high altitude), having the right equipment, and being prepared. I like to do things the right way, or not at all.

A few points I would like to encourage on..
1) It is definitely not too late to get started, I go to Colorado each year with my Dad who is in his late 50's and his hunting buddy who is coming up on 70. We live anywhere from 50-300 ft elevation and consistently hunt 10,000 to 11,500 elevation with no problems.
2) Speaking for my experience the trips with my Dad are all hunts of a lifetime and I would do everything you could to get your son to go with you. It gets hard to make the trips happen with families and work and careers but I have never regretted going on one.
3) Elevation can be a real problem for some people. So get with your Dr. my dads hunting buddy who goes with us gets a prescription to help with altitude sickness. My Dad likes to get there a couple days before we start hunting and have a couple days to hang out at altitude before we start walking all over the mountain. My advice do everything to give yourself the edge you possibly can and don't burn yourself out early in the hunt Pace yourself. A "good" outfitter will work at your pace and should try to make the experience as comfortable as possible.
4) I would highly recommend doing some research online to find some outfitters. Ask for references make some calls see what the hunts are like. What should your expectations be for camp? How remote is camp? (Drop camp, main camp and ride horses out, UTV access, cabin or lodge accommodations) What class of animals do you expect to see? How many animals do you expect to see? What is their success rate? Public vs private land? Many of the outfitters have access to unit wide vouchers, private land vouchers or operate on over the counter units where they have their honey holes.
5) I would definitely look to private land access or unit vouchers from landowners and guides. This could get you access to hunting that would take years of drawing with limited hunting pressure. Limited hunting pressure = better odds of success.
6) I think I saw somewhere in the thread don't wear yourself out traveling. Again my Dad leaves sometimes almost a week in front of me to get there and acclimate. For him it's the best way to get rested up and primed for a week of trekking through the mountains.
7) I am still learning all the states different draw processes NEw Mexico is more a lottery while Colorado and Wyoming have the loyalty/preference points. I know there are decent units in both states you could draw with a couple points. I would not limit yourself to draw only though. Use the over the counter options, your private lands ( typically these are a little higher price but have some of the least hunt pressure) and vouchers that can be purchased (again additional price). With that said I am most familiar with Colorado and I would encourage you to spend some time looking through some of the statistics they have available to look at success rates as well as the draw odds and over the counter units.
8.) The last point would be I had the option to jump in a drop camp with a couple guys from Kansas one time and had a blast with complete strangers hunting with a guide between the three of us, I know it may not be the case every time but just want to share a positive outcome from hunting with a guide not knowing the other hunters.

If you ever have any questions feel free to hit me up.

Last edited:

If it is a once in a lifetime elk hunt tho, would you DIY or get a guide? I have never used a guide - always DIY. But, if I had the funds and it was a first and last type deal, I think a guide would be worth the money.

I really don't know that would be a tough call. Two years ago a buddy and I did a DIY alaska moose hunt. I didn't even consider guided. For the price I could do 4 DIY hunts vs one guided hunt. We figured even as rookie moose hunters if we had 4 attempts at it we would be successful. We were both successful on our first attempt but now we will probably go back again but this time for blacktails, then again for caribou another year. Even if we do all 3 of those hunts we still won't even be close to the cost of what the guided moose hunt will have cost, while having about 10x the adventure of a guided hunt.

On elk hunts a guy could go 4 times DIY for the cost of a guided hunt. And there isn't a guarantee a guy is going to be successful on a guided hunt. To me half the fun is in the planning and figuring out the logistics of a hunt. Much more rewarding (to me personally) then a guided hunt.

This is a great forum to get information and ideas on how to do what you're looking for. I'll be 59 in August and guide for Deadwood outfitters in Idaho. I hunted with them over the last 20 years and became good friends. If you're in relatively good shape and practice with your rifle it could be something that might be a fit for you, google their website and check it out. If you'd like a guided hunt on a ranch I'm friends with Justin & Judy O'hair, they live and hunt in Livingston MT Chimney Rock Outfitters and do an excellent job. Their hunt is almost a guarantee with a large resident herd and great management of the elk, deer and land to ensure a quality experience.

OP,
Colorado has unlimited bull tags available to both residents and non-residents.
A long drive is required but the cost it not that great. There is a ton of info available on the CO DOW website.
https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/PlanYourHunt.aspx
I suggest if you want to do a DIY hunt, write off the first hunt as a learning exercise and put no pressure on yourself. Come out and have fun.
Mulligan.

Just met Mesa Outfitters here at the big Fred Hall fishing show in San Diego. Loren is what - a 5th Generation elk hunter from the Grand Junction, Colorado area? Very nice and a friend of mine in Grand Junction knows them = good reputation - and I think I am going with them this fall. They just had a couple cancellations - so jump on it. www.mesa-outfitters.com,

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.