HOPING TO GET AN ELK BEFORE I AM DEAD

I am in the same boat as the OP. I am planning a hunt in Wyoming with an outfitter. I dont have a hunting partner, my dad would live to go but he's 81and doesnt feel he could make it through. I figure the money spent on a guided hunt will pay off. There is no way I could do this alone.....nor want to. Good luck and keep us informed.

I am 71 live in Northern Utah. My brother and I hunt elk, although I have not seen one to shoot in 4 years hunting.

My advice is to get in the best shape physically you can. Elk hunting is lots of walking in less than ideal conditions in weather that can be not fun at all, regardless if guided or not

Last edited:
With only one shot I'd go guided. Colorado would be a good choice since many tags can be had for 0-1 point. If you don't care how big of a bull you shoot there are many options for outfitters. If you're intimidated by the sheer amount of info out there on guided elk hunts I'd give Worldwide Trophy Adventures a call. They are a hunt booking agency and will talk extensively with you about your expectations and get you set up with an outfitter that suits your needs.
Thanks!

Hmmmmm......."MFK", I could have some fun with that acronym!!;):rolleyes: I'd like to be able to give you some suggestions on your OP, however I opened the thread because I too live in the northeast and I too would like to do an elk hunt; and, I've got almost two decades of year over you. What I would like to suggest is to not wait for anyone (especially your/our kids) to fulfill your bucket list, this isn't a dress rehearsal! You want to do it, "MAKE" it happen while you are financially capable and physically capable of doing the hunt. About 6-7 years ago I was at a barbecue and talking with a friend about his bear hunting trips and kept saying to him that I was going to try that "some day". After that day I thought about when that "some day" was going to come and about sitting on the porch of a nursing home saying, "I wish I had gone bear hunting when I could have gone." I booked the bear hunt for that same year with my friend and have been going ever since. After two years, my son who is always busy, now hunts with me every year. We are planning our next hunt while we are on our annual bear hunt. I didn't really start "living" life and appreciating life until after I had two heart attacks at "53"!!!! I'm pushing 70+, although I can afford a hunt like you have described, as time passes I am finding that something else has either dried up, swollen up, been removed, is worn out and needs replacement, or needs medication of some sort to keep going; "getting old isn't for sissies!!!!" I don't understand the entire point system and how it works. I have a friend who mule deer/antelope hunts in Wyoming and who is trying to get enough points for an elk hunt. From what I have gathered from listening to him, I "think" there are outfitters who hold points or can get points for a hunt on private land. I'm sure that there are other forum readers who can/will help you with this.
Raoul, good for you on getting out and enjoying the bear hunts!

Pick a guide with good reputation and a high success rate elk are not that hard to hunt guides will have there honey holes and if your not wanting huge antlers it makes the guides job easer plus they will have horses to pack them out I have been lucky to Live in elk country but I have always packed them out on my back luckily I have friends that like to be pack mules lol cuz I'm 58 so I'm getting up there in years to but I still kill an elk every year but I think about where I'm at when I pull the trigger now more than I used to lol good luck on your adventure of a life time you won't regret it
Ps elk are big critters compared to white tails
I have seen some elk in person-- very impressive to see! That is one of the many exciting aspects for me in wanting to hunt them!

I live in the Northeast and only have experience hunting whitetails but have an Elk hunt in my bucket list. I have 6 significant challenges:

1. Time is not on my side: I am 56 and would like to to this in the next 5 to 6 years while I am still younger. I would love to do a DIY elk hunt (I love challenges), but this is not practical with my circumstances.
2. Limited Points. I only have 1 CO point and 1 WY point. Started this fantasy late in life...
3. NO EXPERIENCE with Elk hunting (I hunt whitetail).
4. Live in the Northeast -- so I will not get much opportunity to scout extensively in Elk Country.
5. Limited trips. I will only get to do one elk hunt in my life, maybe two. ( I am leaning towards and am willing to pay for a guided hunt because of this).
6. NO HUNTING PARTNER FOR THIS ELK HUNT: (My youngest son (25 years old) wants to deer and elk hunt with me, but he has not even taken the time to do a hunter's ed course yet (keeps promising). Who knows when that will happen because he is busy and has not made this a priority. (I will probably be dead when he finally gets his hunting license :).

I am willing to do a guided hunt-- whatever can tilt odds of success in my favor since I have only one or two possible trips in my life, and no experience hunting elk. I really prefer to get a bull, but will settle for a cow.

If I don't have a partner for spotting, ranging, packing, etc. is this feasible in a guided hunt? I was looking at NTO outfitters as a possibility but honestly I would go with recommendations. My fantasy would be a spot and stalk hunt vs timber hunt, but I know have to be prepared to take the opportunity if it happens under any hunting scenario. (I enjoy long range shooting, but I want to be ethical in my hunting approach by making sure I set myself up for the best kill under the scenario).

Is it unrealistic to plan a hunt without a partner? Tell it to me straight. Do guided hunt arrangements allow me to get help spotting/ranging/packing out like a partner would? Forgive my dumb questions but I have never been on a guided hunt. I cannot even plan what state to hunt, where to get points etc, without knowing who my partner is an where he has points to hunt the same hunt. I am also concerned with hunting with someone I have not hunted with before ( I have read the horror stories here about hunting with a new partner on an elk trip).

I don't have a set budget yet-- I will spend some decent money if need be, but the budget is not unlimited and will vary.

PS I won't underestimate the importance of getting in shape (high altitude), having the right equipment, and being prepared. I like to do things the right way, or not at all.

I really envy you guys that live in Elk country!!

I love this website thanks in advance guys!

Hoping to get an elk before I am dead. :)
Guided is going to be the way to go if this is a once in a lifetime deal. I have grown up in elk country and have always DIY...but if I only had one shot at it and I had the money and no hunting partner, I think I would pay a guide.

I'm 52 (I think) from the east, and I want to do this too. I'm pretty sure I'd go guided and would like to take my son (12) but by the time we really can do it, he'll probably be 14. He has his hunters safety . I think I'd want to probably do some kind of combination Cow Elk/Mule deer deal. We'd bring the 6.5-284 for a "long range" shot (comfortable to maybe 350-400 yards) and my light Wby. Altitude 6.5 Creed for close quarters opportunities. Does such a combo deal exist? We're both in decent shape but I want to be realistic about how physically demanding this would be and how challenging the shots are. At the same time, I don't want a canned hunt.

i have gotten a few Elks, I have a 4am morning ritual before I start acquiring for tags. it works for me and a friend.

I'm 52 (I think) from the east, and I want to do this too. I'm pretty sure I'd go guided and would like to take my son (12) but by the time we really can do it, he'll probably be 14. He has his hunters safety . I think I'd want to probably do some kind of combination Cow Elk/Mule deer deal. We'd bring the 6.5-284 for a "long range" shot (comfortable to maybe 350-400 yards) and my light Wby. Altitude 6.5 Creed for close quarters opportunities. Does such a combo deal exist? We're both in decent shape but I want to be realistic about how physically demanding this would be and how challenging the shots are. At the same time, I don't want a canned hunt.

I posted earlier about Buffalo Horn Ranch near Meeker CO. We've hunted both mulies and elk there and it's world class. These are not ranched animals and it certainly isn't a canned hunt but a huge parcel of about 15+ sq miles bordered by landlocked BLM land.
Grant Edinger 970-878-4633

I am headed back to CO this year for DIY with several friends. We all have hunted drop camps, guided hunts and DIY. Retired and just can't go with guided hunt any more due to budget. If I wasn't hunting with a few friends, I would definitely be going with a guided hunt. I would select outfitter that uses horses (or UTV's) from the base camp to the various hunting areas. You will be limited on time and resources so you will want the outfitter be fully ready to transport you and your animal easily. You will not likely be in the shape you really need to be for pure walkabout hunting even with a guide so I believe it is important to know how they plan on hunting with you. If you ride from base camp to the hunting area, you are not consuming your internal stamina for just a walkabout. I have seen plenty of single hunters in camp and you will pair up with someone and probably have a lifelong friendship from it.

I just started back up my physical prep and walking 4-5 miles every other day. By August, I will be walking 9-11 miles a day. Please take the advice on physical prep seriously, it can ruin your hunt that you have saved up for and now can't get out of the cot or even had to be transported down in elevation due to altitude sickness which can be serious and potentially deadly. If on a guided hunt, you will still walk quite a bit after tying off the horses or parking a UTV. The one additional bit of advice is to add a couple days onto your trip to get to your location early for preliminary altitude acclimation. Better to relax before the hunt gaining altitude acclimation so you can pretty much be ready to go first day of hunt. It takes on average 3 days at elevation to acclimate to the new altitude. Why not get there early, get some acclimation and not waste any of your precious hunt time trying to get oxygen at altitude. You will enjoy your hunt so much better if you have more acclimation time before the hunt. Altitude sickness can hit anyone, marathon runner, soccer players (friend was one and had to be taken off mountain ASAP).

Your age is really no big deal if you are in somewhat decent weight to start. I will be 69 next month and it is all about your physical prep to hunt at elevation. A guided hunt will not likely excuse you from it unless you are looking at a "resort ranch" style hunt.

Unless you are flying out there, the drive will be the worse part of the trip. I use to live in upstate NY and know it takes forever just to get to Chicago it seems let alone across Nebraska. You can burn yourself out on the drive so advice is to take your time, get rest and get there safely.

A bucket list is only worth it if you check the box. SO, don't look back and go for it. You never know what the next year will bring or if there will be one?? Not to sound pessimistic but life can change in a heart beat. If this is a dream you have, go for the brass ring while you can.

The last outfitter I used was Backcountry Outfitters:
https://www.elk-hunting.com/
The entire experience was top notch.

I had always wanted to do a horse back pack-in hunting trip. At age 60 I decided I better do it before my days are up. Ended up with U-trail Elite Gila Hunts outfitter. Got drawn in 2017 on my second year of application for section 16B in the Gila Wilderness New Mexico. Luck of the draw, I was the only hunter in that hunt. Had a cook, a wrangler, and a guide, complete with a 10 animal pack train all to myself. Felt like a King. Rode in thru beautiful scenery the day before a 5 day hunt. Got a Gila monster elk on the first hunt day. Truly was a hunt of a lifetime.

I also didn't have a hunting buddy and had no elk hunting experience. I would recommend using such a service if you have limited hunting experience and/or chances and some age limitations. My lungs don't like the uphill and my knees don't like the downhill. The Gila wasn't too bad, we were about 8000 feet elevation. The guide was good about giving me time to huff and puff up the hills. And they (staff and horses/mules) did all the work, skin out, and packing out.

Didn't get drawn again for 2018 elk, but did get a Mule deer in muzzleloader season with Rocking Zia outfitter also in Southwestern New Mexico. Public land, but not a horse trip, ATV access. I would recommend you consider New Mexico. There are no draw / loyalty points to worry about, but as a non-resident, if you contract with an outfitter you are in a 10% pool which helps the draw odds. And if you analyze the hunt options, there are some almost 100% draw options. Plus there are private land possibilities so you can combine hunts when you make the trip. Unfortunately, the draw application for 2019 closed on March 15th, but plan early for next year. I put in for a bunch of hunts this year, wish me luck!

Thats awesome. I am jealous you can go with your son!

I am headed back to CO this year for DIY with several friends. We all have hunted drop camps, guided hunts and DIY. Retired and just can't go with guided hunt any more due to budget. If I wasn't hunting with a few friends, I would definitely be going with a guided hunt. I would select outfitter that uses horses (or UTV's) from the base camp to the various hunting areas. You will be limited on time and resources so you will want the outfitter be fully ready to transport you and your animal easily. You will not likely be in the shape you really need to be for pure walkabout hunting even with a guide so I believe it is important to know how they plan on hunting with you. If you ride from base camp to the hunting area, you are not consuming your internal stamina for just a walkabout. I have seen plenty of single hunters in camp and you will pair up with someone and probably have a lifelong friendship from it.

I just started back up my physical prep and walking 4-5 miles every other day. By August, I will be walking 9-11 miles a day. Please take the advice on physical prep seriously, it can ruin your hunt that you have saved up for and now can't get out of the cot or even had to be transported down in elevation due to altitude sickness which can be serious and potentially deadly. If on a guided hunt, you will still walk quite a bit after tying off the horses or parking a UTV. The one additional bit of advice is to add a couple days onto your trip to get to your location early for preliminary altitude acclimation. Better to relax before the hunt gaining altitude acclimation so you can pretty much be ready to go first day of hunt. It takes on average 3 days at elevation to acclimate to the new altitude. Why not get there early, get some acclimation and not waste any of your precious hunt time trying to get oxygen at altitude. You will enjoy your hunt so much better if you have more acclimation time before the hunt. Altitude sickness can hit anyone, marathon runner, soccer players (friend was one and had to be taken off mountain ASAP).

Your age is really no big deal if you are in somewhat decent weight to start. I will be 69 next month and it is all about your physical prep to hunt at elevation. A guided hunt will not likely excuse you from it unless you are looking at a "resort ranch" style hunt.

Unless you are flying out there, the drive will be the worse part of the trip. I use to live in upstate NY and know it takes forever just to get to Chicago it seems let alone across Nebraska. You can burn yourself out on the drive so advice is to take your time, get rest and get there safely.

A bucket list is only worth it if you check the box. SO, don't look back and go for it. You never know what the next year will bring or if there will be one?? Not to sound pessimistic but life can change in a heart beat. If this is a dream you have, go for the brass ring while you can.

The last outfitter I used was Backcountry Outfitters:
https://www.elk-hunting.com/
The entire experience was top notch.
Thanks for the advice on altitude acclimation. I agree on taking your opportunities while you have them. The Lord gives us every single breath we take, so I will remember that and be grateful for what he has given me.

I had always wanted to do a horse back pack-in hunting trip. At age 60 I decided I better do it before my days are up. Ended up with U-trail Elite Gila Hunts outfitter. Got drawn in 2017 on my second year of application for section 16B in the Gila Wilderness New Mexico. Luck of the draw, I was the only hunter in that hunt. Had a cook, a wrangler, and a guide, complete with a 10 animal pack train all to myself. Felt like a King. Rode in thru beautiful scenery the day before a 5 day hunt. Got a Gila monster elk on the first hunt day. Truly was a hunt of a lifetime.

I also didn't have a hunting buddy and had no elk hunting experience. I would recommend using such a service if you have limited hunting experience and/or chances and some age limitations. My lungs don't like the uphill and my knees don't like the downhill. The Gila wasn't too bad, we were about 8000 feet elevation. The guide was good about giving me time to huff and puff up the hills. And they (staff and horses/mules) did all the work, skin out, and packing out.

Didn't get drawn again for 2018 elk, but did get a Mule deer in muzzleloader season with Rocking Zia outfitter also in Southwestern New Mexico. Public land, but not a horse trip, ATV access. I would recommend you consider New Mexico. There are no draw / loyalty points to worry about, but as a non-resident, if you contract with an outfitter you are in a 10% pool which helps the draw odds. And if you analyze the hunt options, there are some almost 100% draw options. Plus there are private land possibilities so you can combine hunts when you make the trip. Unfortunately, the draw application for 2019 closed on March 15th, but plan early for next year. I put in for a bunch of hunts this year, wish me luck!
GOOD LUCK!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.