help with rum 700 series

bowhunter7274

ok guys heres the deal....I just got a rum 700 with stainless barrel and walnut stock.... and went to the range yesterday for the first time....I shot 3 boxes of rem 140 grain ultra corelocks through it just to find that I cant control the guns recoil to get a pattern better than 15".....that is my figuring.....I am 5'8" tall and weigh 165......do yall know if a small person should be able to group this gun......I tried holding the gun several different positions.....I love the gun, but this has me aggravated.....my brotherinlaw could not even get on paper.......I either need some advice on how to grip the gun , or I geuss I will be looking to sell or trade it for something with less recoil that can handle knocking deer down at 600 yards.......any advice would be greatly appreciated.......

A muzzlebrake will probably work wonders for you. Don't feel bad .... a lot of people can't shoot a RUM well without a brake but don't expect the gun to transform into a sub 1" gun with a brake though if you can't get it to shoot better than 15" now without a brake. If I were in your shoes I'd get something with less recoil. You don't need a RUM for shooting deer out to 600yds. Many non magnum calibers are fully capable of doing that (6.5-284, .270, .280, .280 AI, etc.) and they use 60% of the powder of a RUM.

Even if you are not able to handle the recoil of the gun, a 15" group is absolutely terrible. This tells me that there is something wrong or loose on the gun. Be sure to go over the gun thoroughly and make sure everything is tight. Action screws, base screws, ring screws...everything.

If you wind up selling this rifle (which I would recommend as a RUM is not necessary to kill deer or even elk at 600 yards) it will be helpful if the gun 'shoots'

Thanks for the info...by the way I had the gun sighted by a freind 2 weeks ago and this what he does along with selling and mounting scopes and he had it shooting 1" groups at 100 yrds.....I just cant get it there for me.....

If the gun shoots then it is most likely flinching due to recoil or a horrendous trigger pull that many Remingtons are known for. Get the trigger tuned and add a muzzlebrake or just sell it and get something with less recoil.

Take your sighting in friend with you to the range and get a lesson on how to shoot that RUM. Sounds like you need some help on how to get it done. Size has nothing to do with handling recoil. If your friend that got it to shoot in the first place can do it so can you, just get him to coach you.

Are you using a quality rest and or quality sandbags or just holding it? Maybe this is my stupid question for the day and apologize if it is.

I am not new to shooting but I am new to serious rifle/hunting and a friend of mine lets me use his bench gear. Mine will be ordered soon. Good bench gear makes all the difference.

I have a 300RUM and here are my suggestions. It sounds like you and the other 99% of the planet can only tolerate recoil to about a 7mm rem mag. If you really want to hang onto the rifle, get a better trigger. Jewel and Timney make triggers, Jewel being a little more expensive but adjustable down to 3oz. Having a 1.5lb trigger will help in the recoil department. The 300RUM burns a great deal of powder to shoot only marginaly faster than a 300wby, which kicks like a mule as well. Also, you should think about a lead sled, this heavy rest will take a lot of the kick out at the range.

My best suggestion would be to buy a .270, 25-06, or .257wby. These will allow very flat shooting and have plenty of energy out to 600 yards for deer. They also have about 1/3 of the recoil of the big 300RUM.

Take your sighting in friend with you to the range and get a lesson on how to shoot that RUM. Sounds like you need some help on how to get it done. Size has nothing to do with handling recoil. If your friend that got it to shoot in the first place can do it so can you, just get him to coach you.

This I am already focusing on doing...thanks

Are you using a quality rest and or quality sandbags or just holding it? Maybe this is my stupid question for the day and apologize if it is.

I am not new to shooting but I am new to serious rifle/hunting and a friend of mine lets me use his bench gear. Mine will be ordered soon. Good bench gear makes all the difference.

I shot this at a range with just resting my gun on my bag and the shooting table....

OK, here goes. I can tell you from my own experience with a similar rifle. I recently bought a CDL in 7rum. You cannot shoot too many rounds in a string, and you must give it time to cool. I am assuming that this is a new gun, and if that's the case, it will and does need lots of cleaning initially, and if it is fouled, that dog won't hunt. Also as stated in the above thread, check the action screws. Factory spec is 35 inch pounds. Mine came loose on hunting trip in Maryland this year and costed me 10 pointer. The most important things are the simple ones, clean, cool and tight. Good luck and enjoy that rifle, and don't let it intimidate you. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.:)gun)

a friend of mine brought me the same gun with the same problem, every base, ring, and action screw was loose, and I got enough copper out of it to take to the recycling facility. This is where you need to start. Should get your groups cut in half, then work on everything the previous posters have already mentioned. And on top of that I don't know anybody personally that would shoot that weight of rifle and caliber well after 15 rounds or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts