A little help with drops on 338 rum

I ran into similar problems when I first got my 338 rum about 11 years ago. 25 rounds and the windage ears were sheared off. Then I went to dual dovetails and finally installed a brake. All of those things were done with a lighter scope than what I have now.

D.ID, what were your symptoms with your edge and the burris rings? I just want to make sure I am having the same issue as you are before I change the rings.

my symptoms.......When I first started shooting this beast I quickly realized this was the most powerful and the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Consistently grouping 5/16" center to center and often less. with a fixed ten lightweight scope, I switched to the heavy weight high magnification scope and things got even better.....for a little while.... and then things started to loosen up but only on occasion, it was sporadic and while my 100 yard zero only shifted a 1/2" elevation and then right back to where it was I figured that could be shooter error and no big deal, but then out past 400 I would notice inconsistent fliers from out of no where and the rifle would start grouping "up there" and then suddenly go back to where it started ........I kept having to chase my zero one click hear or there (mostly elevation) and then chase it back. After all sorts of cleaning rueteen modifications and a little load tampering.....I moved the big scope to the wsm and it worked great. Put the ten power back on and she went right back to driving tacks. But after being spoiled I could not live with that arrangement. When reinstalling the beast I marked it with a pencil line and did some shooting and she drove tacks for a while, then after a couple sessions she started doing it again I thought maybe it had slid "maybe" then I scratched a small cross behind the rear ring right on the edge of the joint where the rings meet and it started to show slight movement and just to bust you noggin=slight movement back. after this I tried all sorts of stuff to make them work... powdered resin, locktight on the inserts, new screws oiled, new screws locked, new inserts....... Waiste of time and ammo....your situation sounds mechanical.....that's a very likely canadate.....I love the rings and the ability to add moa with offset inserts but you could not pay me to try them again on a big rifle. We use them on our 7mm with no problem at all and I figure that is a good place for them. By the way, since I went overkill on my mounts I have not had any trouble or even a doubt since. She will hold 1.25"@400 or 4"@900 any day, weather permitting.

Thank you! That is the exact detail to convince me. I am thinking about the burris tactical rings and a picatinny rail. Optic planet has some on a pretty good sale. I thought about the nightforce rail, but it looks like it is relieved for a right hand action and I have a sako extractor that pushes the spent cartridge up higher than the factory extractor.

Thank you! That is the exact detail to convince me. I am thinking about the burris tactical rings and a picatinny rail. Optic planet has some on a pretty good sale. I thought about the nightforce rail, but it looks like it is relieved for a right hand action and I have a sako extractor that pushes the spent cartridge up higher than the factory extractor.

I am also a SouthPaw & may be able to offer some help. I am running several setups on my rigs:

Rem 700 LH/SA w/Sako Extractor chambered in Lazzeroni 7.82 Patriot, Leupold MK4 20 moa Pit rail & XTR Rings. Great base & the rings work well, ejection is solid.

Rem 700 LH/LA w/M-16 Extractor chambered in 6mm-284, NightForce Direct Mount 1-piece set-up (20moa). Ejection is perfect.

Rem 700 LH/LA w/Rem Extractor chambered in 338RUM, Badger Ordnance 20moa LH Pic rail & American Rifle Company 34mm Rings. Ejection is flawless.

I also have 4 savages chambered in much lesser calibers, they are set up with leupy STD setups.

D.ID, A BIG THANK YOU!

I just got my new set of Burris tactical rings (took two tries to get the right height) and a 20 moa picatinny rail. Got the gun sighted in and Just shot a 3 inch group at 700 yards this morning. So, moral of the story, Burris signature rings are very nice but not up to the recoil of a big 338 and a heavy scope. When I removed the rings, I could find no evidence that they were allowing movement, but they were.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.