Need help with a 300 RUM Sendero

ProfessorM

I have 2 of these. One is an SF I that I bought at a good price, had trigger worked down, and had it bedded. It shoots light out with 215 Bergers and Retumbo. I have killed several deer, hogs, and coyotes to 800 yards with it. Last year, the last 3 shots I took with it gave a 3 1/2" group at 830 yards. I decided not to shoot it anymore unless something needed killing! Fast forward to now....I have a new SF II in 300 RUM, trigger changed to old style Remmy, and bedded. Here's what I've found...several loads have shown potential. 3 shots might be 1/2" 100, 2"@400 and then my next three may be 8 inches at 400. (Barrel not hot). If I hold the forearm with down pressure, and pull tight to my shoulder, groups will rival a custom rifle. Any other way and it shoots terrible. Prone, bag and bipod with hand on bag, etc. I have decided that it's not the loads. I've checked the action screws, scope, mounts, magazine box is right, etc. the only thing I can think of is that I am no good with the this stock but I have a Savage LRP with the palm swell and no problems. Anybody else experience anything like this? Thoughts?

Personally, I hate the palmswell on the newer HS Precision stocks. I prefer the original Sendero & SF model stocks. The 5R Milspecs have the same stock as the SFII, but it's green/black instead of black/gray.

I have thought about sending all 3 of my 5R stocks back to HS and having them sand the palmswells down to original Sendero stock spec, then having them repainted black/gray...But I don't know how much that would cost, so it might not be worth the money.

I had basically the same problem with one of my rifles. It would shoot well if you held it a particular way( putting forward or side pressure on the pistol grip) I have seven more rifles built nearly the same and none of the others gave problems. All have the sendero 1 stock that is skim bedded with devcon. I found the trouble to be that some of the bedding was bearing on the pins that hold the trigger to the action. The bedding was touching only on one side of the pins . I trimmed it with a pocketknife and all is well. I think anytime that you have to put undue pressure on a bedded stock to get it to shoot, then there is stress between the barreled action and the stock. Gary

I will check that tonight. I'm thinking of lightly sanding some of the bedding out and see what happens. Sure won't hurt. The action is very hard to pull out of the stock. Not sure if this is normal or not, I haven't had the other one out in a long time and can't remember how tight it is.

I would agree, sounds like something is up with the bedding. Your rifle is similar to a woman, it is being touched where it doesn't like to be touched=bad results :) I would start by checking to make sure there is no pressure around action screws, barrel is floated, bedding contact is even, as the previous guy said, no pressure on trigger parts, and make sure the stock isn't exposed through the bedding, as this may be a point of stress.

Should the action be super tight in the stock? As in hard to take it out? I would like to take it to someone local and let them look it over, but I don't know anyone around me.

Yes, if rifle is bedded, it should be difficult to lift the action from the stock. I've actually had to have help from my brother to pull the barrelled action out of one of my rifles. Now we were giving it a full effort, it's just that the rifle and stock are cumbersome.

Not to be a debbie downer, although i would agree, that if it were my rifle, I'd be looking over everything for potential stress, I would not discount the idea that the barrel might be toast. How many rounds do you have through it?

It has 350 rounds through it and has shot like this from day one. Only rifle I've ever shot that I had to literally choke it to death to get an acceptable group. I'm considering removing all of the bedding and shooting it without it to see what that does. I can't see it hurting at this point!

Update...one pin holding trigger was rubbing the stock and the front pillar was full of devcon and I had to push the screw in/pull it out. Pin was an easy fix and be it right or wrong, I drilled out the devcon, put it back together and now it shoots! Thanks for the help. Never would have believe something so minor would cause issues. 89 grains of H1000 gives me 2990 fps with 215 Bergers @ 3.850 col. Shoots real well.

Update...one pin holding trigger was rubbing the stock and the front pillar was full of devcon and I had to push the screw in/pull it out. Pin was an easy fix and be it right or wrong, I drilled out the devcon, put it back together and now it shoots! Thanks for the help. Never would have believe something so minor would cause issues. 89 grains of H1000 gives me 2990 fps with 215 Bergers @ 3.850 col. Shoots real well.

Glad you found the issue and got it resolved easily. Have you tried Retumbo? I bet you would get better velocities over H1000.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/

I did try Retumbo but H1000 seemed to do better. But that was before I started chasing gremlins! I plan to try it again when I get more time.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.