Hammer bullets shoot!!!

Would the 124gr be ok in the 264wm with a 9 twist?

I've heard that the magnums can push bullets requiring an 8 twist fast enough to stabilize out of a 9 twist.

I am chiming in very late, but I believe it's relevant. My rifle appears to have an 8 and a quarter twist and had 124 grain bullets Keyhole at 300 yards when pushed to 3200 feet-per-second. It's interesting to see two and a half inch group with five shots at that range and still keyholing. I ordered a bunch of the 130s to solve the problem.

What are you shooting and what do you want it to do?

Steve
264 WM, 280AI, 25-06, and 257 Roberts are some rifles that I have good loads for but would like to see either better accuracy, velocity or less fouling than what I'm getting with my Barnes loads. As I mentioned a week or two ago in a post, Steve, I plan to try some of your bullets......right now I'm in the middle of my Hunting Season and it's going to be "Katy Bar the Doors" until at least the first of the year. Any recommendations here would be great but I plan to call you to visit about some of these loads and the issues with them when things slow down! Thnx

I am chiming in very late, but I believe it's relevant. My rifle appears to have an 8 and a quarter twist and had 124 grain bullets Keyhole at 300 yards when pushed to 3200 feet-per-second. It's interesting to see two and a half inch group with five shots at that range and still keyholing. I ordered a bunch of the 130s to solve the problem.

So Rich you think a heavier 6.5 bullet will work better? I thought heavier needs a faster twist...lighter bullets need, slower twist...seems Steve said I would need a 110gr bullet with my slower twist...I'd have to go back and check...it might not have been in this thread.

The Sledgehammer 130 grainer is about 1/2" SHORTER than the 124 pointy bullet. I didn't post this before, but I fired twenty at 300 yards recently in a ladder test. Each load was increased by .5 grains. Anyway I fired a five shot keyholeing group of about 2 1/2"! The last five made a group of 2 5/16". What would they do if they were point on?!

The Sledgehammer 130 grainer is about 1/2" SHORTER than the 124 pointy bullet. I didn't post this before, but I fired twenty at 300 yards recently in a ladder test. Each load was increased by .5 grains. Anyway I fired a five shot keyholeing group of about 2 1/2"! The last five made a group of 2 5/16". What would they do if they were point on?!
This is interesting to me. Not sure what is going on yet. Looking forward to seeing one that you caught in newspaper. Your elevation is quite low and the barrel is slightly slow, but on paper they should not be showing oblong holes.

Steve

264 WM, 280AI, 25-06, and 257 Roberts are some rifles that I have good loads for but would like to see either better accuracy, velocity or less fouling than what I'm getting with my Barnes loads. As I mentioned a week or two ago in a post, Steve, I plan to try some of your bullets......right now I'm in the middle of my Hunting Season and it's going to be "Katy Bar the Doors" until at least the first of the year. Any recommendations here would be great but I plan to call you to visit about some of these loads and the issues with them when things slow down! Thnx
Sounds good!

Steve

In the above post I posted the 130 is a half inch shorter, but it is more like 1/8 shorter.

I shot both a 124 grain and a 130 grain into dry newspaper. Impact velocity was about 3150 for both. The 124 grain tumbled badly and stopped at nine and a half inches. The 130 grain bored straight through like one would hope and went 14 in.
I texted the photograph of the paper to Steve. Maybe he can post a photograph. I don't know how.

This made me laugh since I had similar results while shooting some of the very early 304gr Hammer Hunters at about 2300 fps in a 1-9.3" twist barreled 338/375 Ruger specialty pistol. I knew they wouldn't stabilize but I just wanted to see how they'd do. To make it even more entertaining I let my 16 year old daughter do the shooting. She ended up with a 100 yard group under 1.5" with every bullet hitting sideways. Considering this was her first time shooting any specialty pistol, I was pretty impressed.

These Hammers are so good you don't even need to stabilize them to get good groups! LOL

I shot some of the .375's thinking the barrel I've had for decades was 1-10". They tumbled, checking it myself found about 1-11". Until you've measured them yourself you can't be 100% positive what your working with.

In the above post I posted the 130 is a half inch shorter, but it is more like 1/8 shorter. imagejpeg_0_2.jpg imagejpeg_1.jpg

I shot both a 124 grain and a 130 grain into dry newspaper. Impact velocity was about 3150 for both. The 124 grain tumbled badly and stopped at nine and a half inches. The 130 grain bored straight through like one would hope and went 14 in.
I texted the photograph of the paper to Steve. Maybe he can post a photograph. I don't know how.
1st one is the 124g Hammer Hunter 2nd is the 130g Sledge Hammer. The 130g Sledge Hammer is picture perfect formation. You can see the 124g deformed but did not stay point on long enough to get that perfect square flat front that we expect.

I am anxious to get these in my hand to see the engraving and compare the two. Right now I am pretty sure we just have a case of a long nosed bullet with a slightly slow twist and low elevation. Twist rate calculators show it should be only slightly marginal. I am beginning to wonder if the Miller stability formula has some dependency on density of material for calculating stability. I want to see if the engraving is as sharp and definedineach bullet.imagejpeg_0_2.jpg imagejpeg_1.jpg

Steve

...I am beginning to wonder if the Miller stability formula has some dependency on density of material for calculating stability....

It doesn't really. The constant 30 (dimensionless) in the miller formula represents a drag coefficient of 2800fps at 'army standard metro'.

In recent years it has become apparent that gyroscopic stability does not always correlate to DYNAMIC stability. Dynamic stability is a tricky topic, but deals with a bullet's stability as the density of the medium it travels through varies. Typically these discussions centre around transonic flight, but I believe similar mechanics are at play when a bullet transitions from one medium into another. The Miller formula is of little use here, as it assumes drag to be a constant, which IT IS NOT!

Dynamic Stability is an interesting topic to consider, but fairly complex to test and model, especially where varying target angles and densities are involved. Fortunately SG can be used as a pretty good guideline - I'm by no means an expert, but it seems hunters might not always get the performance they expect when flirting with marginal stability. Especially when projectiles are long and pointy. This moves the centre of gravity toward the rear, in effect increasing the leverage available at the tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.