Good article on why everyone either loves or hates the 6.5cr

I don't hate ANY cartridge, caliber or platform. I just feel it's less than prudent that people were dumping their 308 and 243 WIN's for the 6.5cm. If you are a serious or trying to become a serious PR or LR compeditore and you own a 308 or hevior recoiling round and recoil is a very real consideration for you then th 6.5cm might be worth your consideration.
But you have to admire Hornady's marketing savvy. I could very well be wrong and anyone feel free to correct me, and I might be forgetting a caliber or two, but I just don't recall any other cartridge in my life time that has made not just such a huge success as the 6.5cm has as more than a few have, but how many remained as popular as long as the 6.5cm has. I mean what other caliber does anyone know of that literally made a specific powder essentially unavailable for months on end like the 6.5cm did to H4350.

If I were to pick a rifle caliber for the recoil adverse based on less recoil than my 308Win I would likely recommend the 7mm/08 or if really recoil shy the 243.
I shot both and recoil was benign.

Butterbean: Wow! That guy really set you off. You said: "You and many others that I have had this same discussion with all have the same down fall, Without a Laser Range Finder and a Kestrel you couldn't hit a pop can at 100 yards ( Hence my challenge )"

I do totally agree with you about LR shooting, though. The hard part isn't the long range, it is the dadgum wind.

But I could take you up on the 100 yard popcan challenge with my 6.5 Creedmoor (no rangefinder or Kestrel required) except I'm pretty sure I can do it with a 22 Long Rifle. I'm not even sure I have a scoped rifle that can't hit a popcan @ 100 yards. And that's only because I can't see iron sights anymore. But I know guys who could meet the challenge at 200 yards with a CZ P-09 9mm pistol. He already has done it.

My reservation about the 6.5 Creedmoor is the killing power where big game is concerned. Although a lot of guys have proved it on Elk, I still think that a heavier, faster bullet would give me more confidence in a faster drop and kill. I'm not one who wants to blood trail anything more than 60 or 70 yards. If ya have to do that, I am OK with using a bigger cartridge.
Correct, and concurs with what many others are saying. It's not an ideal Big Game rifle or long Ranger hunting rifle

I hunted for years with a 25-06. I went to an AR-10 in 6.5 CM to replace that gun. On game at least, it's no 25-06! I went back to my 308. Why? Because on game at normal hunting distance it's got more "stuff"! If I anticipate the need for more in the field I have a 7 mag with a brake which mitigates all the recoil. If I ever get into long distance target shooting I'd probably give the CM another look.

Butterbean: Wow! That guy really set you off. You said: "You and many others that I have had this same discussion with all have the same down fall, Without a Laser Range Finder and a Kestrel you couldn't hit a pop can at 100 yards ( Hence my challenge )"

I do totally agree with you about LR shooting, though. The hard part isn't the long range, it is the dadgum wind.

But I could take you up on the 100 yard popcan challenge with my 6.5 Creedmoor (no rangefinder or Kestrel required) except I'm pretty sure I can do it with a 22 Long Rifle. I'm not even sure I have a scoped rifle that can't hit a popcan @ 100 yards. And that's only because I can't see iron sights anymore. But I know guys who could meet the challenge at 200 yards with a CZ P-09 9mm pistol. He already has done it.

My reservation about the 6.5 Creedmoor is the killing power where big game is concerned. Although a lot of guys have proved it on Elk, I still think that a heavier, faster bullet would give me more confidence in a faster drop and kill. I'm not one who wants to blood trail anything more than 60 or 70 yards. If ya have to do that, I am OK with using a bigger cartridge.
Without a Laser Range Finder and a Kestrel you couldn't hit a pop can at 100 yards

I'm just using that as a metaphor, I've said this a hundred times, it's a great round but it's only as good as the trigger man

Bean gave me a ton of crap when I rebarreled my 243 to the 6.5 Creed, but it was always in good fun. I didn't want to get on the Creed bandwagon, but my gunsmith convinced me to do it. I haven't been disappointed. It's a consistent 0.5 moa or less shooter. Plus, with RL26, I basically match the velocity of my 6.6-284 Norma with the 143 gr ELDX.
For hogs, South Texas whitetail and pronghorn, I feel the Creed is a good cartridge. I think it shouldn't be used for elk. If I'm hunting elk, my 7 STW or 300 WSM get to go hunting, and the Creed is not even a consideration (nor is my 6.5-284).

Well, after reading the article I guess I qualify for the "8th grade dropout" according to Petzal. Because I chose a 260 in 2011 after having shoulder surgery and needing something with less recoil. I still have it and am awaiting a new barrel to put another one together so I must really be dense.

If I need a little more velocity I can have the 260 chambered for the AI version. If I need more power from heavier bullets I still have my old mdl 70 in 30-06.

One thing I have learned is that if you whisper "Creedmoor" in the chamber of any rifle it'll shoot tiny groups. I did this with my newly build Shilen barreled 22-250 and the results were amazing! It worked so well I tried it in my old Winchester 52D's and E, **** it was great! Same result with my Remington 40XB .22 rimfire. It even works on my 10 meter Feinwerkbau 300S and 601 air rifles. My next test will be on my Colt Bullseye revolver and High Standard 107. If it works well on handguns I'm thinking about bringing my methodology to the market, for a small nominal fee of course.

In all seriousness I'm sure it's a good cartridge, but not everyone wants to ride the same bus, some want to drive them selves.

I might as well weigh in on the 6.5 Creedmore. like the article states there are as good if not better cartriges out there that would fill the need or niche that the 6.5 creed has step in and over filled. for example, 260 Rem, 7-08, 270-08, 6.5X55, 6.5X57, 257 Rob, 7X57, 6.5-06, 257 WSSM, 257 WSM, 6.5 WSM, 270 WSM/7MM WSM. these all are great cartridges as well and fill a need and eclipse the 6.5 creed. the best thing is that since I am pretty ambivalent about the 6.5 creed to a mild detractor of the 6.5 creed I just do not care if the creed ever gets loaded again. if you like it, then keep liking it. if you do not, find something you like and use it. it's just that simple. the 6.5 creed is not and never will be the super cartridge it has been hyped up to be. I like the 270's, there is no secret about that. I own numerous various 270's. however I am planning to have one 264 in my safe.. the win mag. until the 270-264 win mag is completed then I will think about getting the 264 win mag.

Recent Posts