Forming 6.5 prc from 300 prc

@can1010 and @yorke-1 have your back, like they said it is possible, just a bit more time and effort involved. I will add if you've never formed brass before there will be a learning curve but if you have some good problem solving skills you can handle it no problem, in case you can't figure out a problem I'm sure those two guys would be glad to give pointers. I would also help any way I can.

I am currently forming 9.3x57 using r-p 30-06 brass, can't get dies so I am making all my own tooling on a TINY watch makers lathe from Taig, no compound cuts no threading no carbide bits not even a centre drill. Any gunsmith or machinist would probably cringe at the way I did it!!!! 1 ton arbour press for forming and Lucas oil additive for lube. Now I gotta fire form to blow the necks out.
Here's a picture L-R 30-06, squeeze body down, move shoulder back, trim, fireform, not sure yet if I'll have to neck turn.

Where there's a will there's a way, anything is possible just maybe not practical

Attachments

• IMG_2020.JPG
    IMG_2020.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
I sure do miss the old days on here when we had gun designers, wildcatters, experimenters and just people that think outside the box. most of those people have left or just stay silent now because over the years to many internet educated but unexperienced people would rather just post something than just watch and read and maybe learn something.

I guess to those people it is better to be a sheep and just follow than be an originator or a leader

I sure do miss the old days on here when we had gun designers, wildcatters, experimenters and just people that think outside the box. most of those people have left or just stay silent now because over the years to many internet educated but unexperienced people would rather just post something than just watch and read and maybe learn something.

I guess to those people it is better to be a sheep and just follow than be an originator or a leader
Inaccurate, not at all helpful, and not the least bit appropriate.

We still have all of the above here and bashing members is never the right thing to do here.

Trying to save a guy a whole lot of time, money, aggravation and ruined brass does not show we're limited in experience or education, quite the opposite.

At best this kind of forming is an expensive pain and at worst a disaster after the investment of a whole lot of money when he realizes how much time, money, and aggravation he wasted trying to drive a round peg into a square hole.

We still have all of the above here and bashing members is never the right thing to do here.

Trying to save a guy a whole lot of time, money, aggravation and ruined brass does not show we're limited in experience or education, quite the opposite.

At best this kind of forming is an expensive pain and at worst a disaster after the investment of a whole lot of money when he realizes how much time, money, and aggravation he wasted trying to drive a round peg into a square hole.
Please don't quote my posts, just look past them like I do yours. the OP asked for information on how to complete his task he didn't ask for comments on how it is dumb and cant be done. Yes it can be done and he already has brass and wants to try so help him out or stand by and learn something

Stop with the hard reality my head's hurting! 🤯

The original topic is forming 6.5 PRC from 300 PRC cases, the key advise from most sensible people being it's a total WOFTAM.
And the response from people who've actually done it has been that it's really not that difficult to do.

Shooting is just a hobby to waste time and money, for the majority of people. Forming brass is just a different way to have fun as part of the hobby.

Last edited:
And the response from people who've actually done it has been that it's really not that difficult to do.

Shooting is just a hobby to waste time and money, for the majority of people. Forming brass is just a different way to have fun as part of the hobby.
Of course it's not with 500.00 worth of extra dies and a lot of experience.

Not for the average guy who doesn't have either.

As hard as components are to come by these days and at the prices we have to pay it's really not a time for folks to start into that kind of venture unless they have bottomless pockets and a hand source for recycling crushed brass.