Forming 6.5 prc from 300 prc

Be glad to shorten the process and exchange 50 new adg 6.5 prc for 50 new ADG 300 prc or 100 lapua 6.5 prc for 100 lapua 300 prc all new in the box.

Not to mention the PRC brass/chamber already have issues after 4-5 reloads. Sounds like way too much brain damage to me. There's plenty of reasonably priced brass on Gunbroker, Nosler for $79 for 50 pieces. Some Peterson for $200 for 100 pieces. Anyways….. good luck! According to Unknownmunitons ADG is making 65PRC now and should be released in the near future. Go on Creedmoor Sports and pre-order it, they will charge your card when it ships. Shoot, this makes MY head hurt even thinking about trying it, I'll sell you 50 pieces of Hornady brass I have been holding on to. To the OP only, PM me if interested in 50 Hornady pieces.
Thanks for the update I'm going to start looking for it AGAIN!!!🤠

has anybody noticed where the OP is from Alberta, Canada
so while all suggestions of exchanging brass or gunbroker are useless to him or i would of exchanger brass a long time ago

In the past I have necked down 7mm to 6.5 but I did it in small increments using a bushing die and then turned the necks. Not sure if you can go from 30 to 6.5 without issues or not as I have never tried it myself.
I agree, you need to do it in small increments and turn necks so walls aren't so thick.

I used to form 350 rem mag from 7 rem mag brass. I was a pain but doable. Anneal, push the shoulder back slow. Trim the extra length, neck turn, size again... i dont do it anymore but it got me through a tough time. And the rifle shoots amazing with that brass. I think it was the neck turning.

6.5 PRC's parent case is the 300 RCM.
With such a shortage of 300 PRC brass right now, sacrificing any in what would otherwise be a futile attempt seems sacrilege

I do a lot of changing from one caliber to another. Most are fairly simple, The most change I have done is a 280AI to a 6mm neck. I change 300WM case to 308NM cases, which reduces the length to the shoulder from the base. These are some of the thing I do. I set up and cut all my case to length if new brass. I thin the neck to .013. That changes the OD to .310 then transition to .267. This gives me about .002 neck tension. I do the neck reduction in 4 steps with bushing. Now I am not changing the dimensions at the shoulder of the case. You are moving that shoulder back a great amount. I feel it's to much in looking that what is shown above in other info. I would look for a case that is a lot closer to what you are trying to create. The base of the case would have to match. You can move shoulder back, but I don't think that much.
The other problem is I don't have any reloading manual available presently to look those items up. They are all packed away. I change a lot of neck sizes in other belted mag too. I have get 300WM Lapua or Peterson brass to modified to what ever caliber from .264 to .338. Someday the higher end brass manufactures will be making in those calibers, and case design.
I know about getting brass. I took me about 10 to 11 months just to get the 280AI brass. That's life.

Just like Can1010 said, it's absolutely possible. It's not that big of an ordeal once you get the right process figured out.

I formed a bunch of sample wildcat cases off the 375 Ruger case with all different case lengths. Some of them were the length of the 6.5 PRC, others were somewhere between the 6.5 and 300 PRC in length. They were everything from .22-.458" with different lengths to fit in different actions.

The only big issue you'll have is the case neck thickness. You'll need to outside neck turn and/or inside neck ream the brass. Buying a cheap 375 Ruger die and having it shortened would make the process much easier.

Last edited:
I have formed .375-.50BMG and .50-20mm Uniroyal brass, but you need a complete series of dies (probably 5 steps) and other tooling to do things like this or what you are talking about with the PRC's. Then the rule of thumb in brass forming is annealing after a ten percent change or move, so multiple times. After all of that you are still not going to have the correct inner dimensions of the factory brass. This is where I say "just because you can, doesn't mean you shoul" and it certainly will be costly.

Hello everyone.. just wondering if anyone else has tryed to make 6.5 prc brass out of 300 prc brass.. I'm supper new at brass forming and could use some pointers.. As I just keep folding in the necks.Sorry no pictures as I just whent back to work and forgot to take some.. I'm using
- Once fired hornady 300prc brass
- trimmed to 2.050
-Amp annealed
-imperial sizing wax
- Co-ax press
- RCBS & Redding & Hornady "FL"
Buy 6.5 PRC brass that woks