For 7 mm enthusiasts

Wow M-R, you are faster than lightning! :D What a brilliant idea, and I'm going keep that in mind. If I can't get a Remington bull barrel, I'm going to purchase a stainless 26' bbl from Pac Nor, Walther or Lilja, no problem. Suppose that the action has to be adjusted as well for the best performance.
Yeah, I just can't trust a factory action if I'm sinking money into it by pulling off the barrel and replacing it with another. Might as well true it up while you got everything disassembled. It'll only take a little extra time and money, but will be worth the peace of mind knowing it is 100% squared up and trued.

And Lilja is a great barrel! I don't think I've ever read a bad or negative review about one.

Since you're into the 7mm's you should also look into building a .280 Rem Ackley Improved. Near 7RM performance from a .30-06/.270/.280 parent case with a standard bolt face. :D

Just my thoughts on it.

BTW, what do you think about my idea using Tikkas' as platform for a decent 7mm gun? Clemens was wondering what kind of product he should use, Ruger 77, Rem 700 and so on.
I have never owned a Tikka, so I can't comment on that, but I hear good things.

As for the older 3-position Ruger 77 and tang-safety 77 rifles, they're good, and can be trued to be a shooter. There's just not much aftermarket product support and accessories for them.

I am, as you all know by now, a HUGE Rem 700 fan. Of my bolt-action collection, they amass the majority of it for a reason. They simply are (to me) the best bolt-action platform to ever be designed. The aftermarket support is greater than any other rifle platform. And parts and accessories can be found virtually anywhere. The design is simple, and not overly complicated. They are smooth operating. And when properly trued by a competent smith, they can be surgically accurate.

The Browning A-Bolt II is as good and reliable a platform as the Rem 700, but the Browning doesn't have very much aftermarket support and accessories.

The Weatherby Mark V rifles are incredible, like the Browning & Rem 700, but just like the Browning and Ruger....Lack of aftermarket support and accessories makes them not as favorable. Unless you get a Weatherby AccuMark, in which case you will not really need any aftermarket, as you basically have a custom built rifle. But you're gonna pay for it...Last time I checked MSRP was around $2,100-2,200 USD. Glad when I bought mine new I got a hell of a discount on it. :D

Yeah, I just can't trust a factory action if I'm sinking money into it by pulling off the barrel and replacing it with another. Might as well true it up while you got everything disassembled. It'll only take a little extra time and money, but will be worth the peace of mind knowing it is 100% squared up and trued.

And Lilja is a great barrel! I don't think I've ever read a bad or negative review about one.

Since you're into the 7mm's you should also look into building a .280 Rem Ackley Improved. Near 7RM performance from a .30-06/.270/.280 parent case with a standard bolt face. :D

Just my thoughts on it.

[FONT=&quot]No, there will be definitely no rifle in 280 REM AI, even if it's a superb calibre. It's too close to the European 7x64 which is a great round too! But surely a nice one in 7RM and later on in all probability a 7STW.[/FONT] :)

I have never owned a Tikka, so I can't comment on that, but I hear good things.

As for the older 3-position Ruger 77 and tang-safety 77 rifles, they're good, and can be trued to be a shooter. There's just not much aftermarket product support and accessories for them.

I am, as you all know by now, a HUGE Rem 700 fan. Of my bolt-action collection, they amass the majority of it for a reason. They simply are (to me) the best bolt-action platform to ever be designed. The aftermarket support is greater than any other rifle platform. And parts and accessories can be found virtually anywhere. The design is simple, and not overly complicated. They are smooth operating. And when properly trued by a competent smith, they can be surgically accurate.

The Browning A-Bolt II is as good and reliable a platform as the Rem 700, but the Browning doesn't have very much aftermarket support and accessories.

The Weatherby Mark V rifles are incredible, like the Browning & Rem 700, but just like the Browning and Ruger....Lack of aftermarket support and accessories makes them not as favorable. Unless you get a Weatherby AccuMark, in which case you will not really need any aftermarket, as you basically have a custom built rifle. But you're gonna pay for it...Last time I checked MSRP was around $2,100-2,200 USD. Glad when I bought mine new I got a hell of a discount on it. :D

I buy that, because the Rem 700 is just the thing! gun)But I personally would be glad to hear from someone who has got experience with the Tikkas, best long lasting. There's always something, somebody out there we might learn from.

I buy that, because the Rem 700 is just the thing! gun)But I personally would be glad to hear from someone who has got experience with the Tikkas, best long lasting. There's always something, somebody out there we might learn from.

I'll add my 2 cents. Tikkas have a very good reputation for being accurate. As I mentioned in another thread, I bought a SAKO 85 Finnlight in 300 WSM that is a 2-3 MOA shooter and the SAKOs also have good reputations. After spending much time trying to make it shoot, including sending it back to Beretta twice, I discovered the the M85's have what I would call a very inadequate recoil lug system. It consists of an "L" shaped peice of aluminum the fits snugly in the synthetic stock and then a small boss in the bottom of the reciever that fits loosly into to a recess milled in the aluminum part of the lug. Sort of a 2 piece lug system. The rear action screw comes through the aluminum piece and is screw into the boss.

I love SAKO actions, especially the M85 but I will never get another one because of this lug design.

Here are some pics in this thread...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/no-recoil-lug-what-say-ye-49659/index3.html

You will notice that there is a cross channel machined into the bottom of the reciever. It serves absolutely no purpose. I have heard that in some previous models the lug was fitted into this channel which would make sense, but not in the M85.

I had my smith mill a lug identical to the factory lug except it had a lug milled to also fit that channel on the bottom of the receiver. He also milled the recess for the boss to fit much more snug. Cost $220.

If the Tikka's have a similar recoil lug system, I would not recommend them as a platform.

My favorite factory actions for builds and recommendations to Clemens, in order, would be the Howa/Vanguard, M70 and Rem700. That said I will not do another build on a 700 because by the time you get it close to custom action quality, you have almost paid the same as you would for a custom action and you still have a 700. The Howa and M70 need very little modifications, basically just a standard blueprint.

I would not recommend an M77 or Browning. A thorough search on those will reveal why. That said, my smith likes the M-77's, but as an all around hunting rifle, not as a precision rifle.

The only disadvantage that I see with Tikkas' is that they will be delivered with 24' bbl on max. Not good enough for a 7RM IMO, but to begin with more than sufficient.

I agree that a 24" barrel is not optimum for the 7 RM. That said, I have got good results out of my old tang safety M77 7 RM and Smith & Wesson M1500 7 RM (Howa made) A 26" or longer, is a much better choice but for starters with a factory rifle the 24" will do OK. Just don't expect long range precision with a 24" sporter barrel.

I agree that a 24" barrel is not optimum for the 7 RM. That said, I have got good results out of my old tang safety M77 7 RM and Smith & Wesson M1500 7 RM (Howa made) A 26" or longer, is a much better choice but for starters with a factory rifle the 24" will do OK. Just don't expect long range precision with a 24" sporter barrel.

I just want to clarify for myself. A 24" barrel on a 7 RM is less accurate than a 26" or greater barrel? Or, does the 24" barrel limit muzzle velocity, and thereby decrease the effective hunting range of a 7 RM?

I just want to clarify for myself. A 24" barrel on a 7 RM is less accurate than a 26" or greater barrel? Or, does the 24" barrel limit muzzle velocity, and thereby decrease the effective hunting range of a 7 RM?

Shorter barrel are less susceptible to harmonics and generally more accurate than longer barrels. What I was getting at, is the "sporter" barrel aspect of accuracy. Longer barrels will give more velocity and will increase the effective range but of course are best in heavier contours to mitigate harmonics.

Shorter barrel are less susceptible to harmonics and generally more accurate than longer barrels. What I was getting at, is the "sporter" barrel aspect of accuracy. Longer barrels will give more velocity and will increase the effective range but of course are best in heavier contours to mitigate harmonics.

10-4

Thanks for the answer!

I'll add my 2 cents. Tikkas have a very good reputation for being accurate. As I mentioned in another thread, I bought a SAKO 85 Finnlight in 300 WSM that is a 2-3 MOA shooter and the SAKOs also have good reputations. After spending much time trying to make it shoot, including sending it back to Beretta twice, I discovered the the M85's have what I would call a very inadequate recoil lug system. It consists of an "L" shaped peice of aluminum the fits snugly in the synthetic stock and then a small boss in the bottom of the reciever that fits loosly into to a recess milled in the aluminum part of the lug. Sort of a 2 piece lug system. The rear action screw comes through the aluminum piece and is screw into the boss.

I love SAKO actions, especially the M85 but I will never get another one because of this lug design.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/no-recoil-lug-what-say-ye-49659/index3.html

You will notice that there is a cross channel machined into the bottom of the reciever. It serves absolutely no purpose. I have heard that in some previous models the lug was fitted into this channel which would make sense, but not in the M85.

I had my smith mill a lug identical to the factory lug except it had a lug milled to also fit that channel on the bottom of the receiver. He also milled the recess for the boss to fit much more snug. Cost $220.

If the Tikka's have a similar recoil lug system, I would not recommend them as a platform.

My favorite factory actions for builds and recommendations to Clemens, in order, would be the Howa/Vanguard, M70 and Rem700. That said I will not do another build on a 700 because by the time you get it close to custom action quality, you have almost paid the same as you would for a custom action and you still have a 700. The Howa and M70 need very little modifications, basically just a standard blueprint.

I would not recommend an M77 or Browning. A thorough search on those will reveal why. That said, my smith likes the M-77's, but as an all around hunting rifle, not as a precision rifle.

Thanks for your informative reply! The Tikkas' have the same issue with the recoil - lug like the Sakos. Primarily because both are bulid at the same factory with the same parts as far as possible, due to costs! :rolleyes: A good friend of mine who owns a Tikka in 9,3x62 "lost" his stock because of the recoil - lug. It couldn't stand the energy properly and the stock splintered. :cool: Afterwards he got a new stock and his smith fixed him a big and stable lug made of steel by using WIG/TIG welding. Since then the problems disappeared, and the Tikka shoots superb. It helps using custom stocks like MC Millan mod/A 3 - 5, Mc Millan mod/Sako Varmint or Manners mod/MCS - T5 and let a good smith fix a decent steel lug in addition. All Sakos' and Tikkas with a calibre stronger than 308W, often used (like we do), may show the same issues.
In Europe we also find other good actions based on the 98 like the awesome Heym 20 or 21, 98 from pre WWI, standard Mausers from the 70 - 90ties etc.

I do have a mod 70 in .30-06 that I keep throwing options around on. Keep it as is .06 or .280, etc.. good brush gun. Does need trigger replaced and some work in chamber or replace barrel. Decisions decisions.

I do have a mod 70 in .30-06 that I keep throwing options around on. Keep it as is .06 or .280, etc.. good brush gun. Does need trigger replaced and some work in chamber or replace barrel. Decisions decisions.

If you like to have a shootable 7mm with high performance go for the 7 RM. Buy a 26' bbl and you're fine. :)

What's about the CZ - 550 American series? I've taken a look on the American site and got jealous almost simultaneously, because we can't buy many of the advertised products here in Europe. Espescially the CZ - 550 Medium (Kevlar chambered in 7RM) was impressive. The CZ's build on a modernised, dependable 98 action and have quite a reputation and should be ideal as platform.

7 LRM by Gunwerks
Unfortunately, I didn't know about this particular 7 mm round before. :rolleyes: It's almost unknown in Europe so far. What I could read and see is that the 7 LRM seems to be an impressive exponent of the 7's. It combines the good characteristics of the 7 RM and almost the velocity of an 7 STW. That all beltless! :) I hope there will be a lot more manufactures producing guns for that specific calibre. After knowing about the 7 LRM there will be no longer 7 STW precedence due to future purchase decisions (IMO).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts