first LRH rifle

mbruflodt

I hunt whitetail in Minnesota. I use a browning x bolt 30-06, it shoots one half inch groups, with 150 sst's with varget powder @ 100 yrds. I want to get a rifle that will have better long range reach. I plan on moving out west. I want a caliber that will be versatile but I don't want a shoulder killer. My 30-06 has a muzzle break and that has really helped me shoot more accurately. My budget is about $2000 including a scope. Any advice from people with more experience than myself will be greatly appreciated.

I'm usually the "Edge is too small for prairie dogs guy.
In this case however, you have a .5 MOA bolt gun that you own.
Shove a 215 Berger in that edited by Len and get busy. Yeah it won't run with a big 30 but it will kill stuff well past 1k.
Shoot that for a bit or AI it if you need to twiddle something. Try some of the newer powders and see what it will do.
If not build a 338 Edge or Lapua and yeah. Anything less than that and your .5MOA 30-06 with the right loads will be just as effective and it already shoots.
All else, spend the $2k on glass. Glass is what most people that move west lack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hunt whitetail in Minnesota. I use a browning x bolt 30-06, it shoots one half inch groups, with 150 sst's with varget powder @ 100 yrds. I want to get a rifle that will have better long range reach. I plan on moving out west. I want a caliber that will be versatile but I don't want a shoulder killer. My 30-06 has a muzzle break and that has really helped me shoot more accurately. My budget is about $2000 including a scope. Any advice from people with more experience than myself will be greatly appreciated.
With what you have now you should be in very good shape out to at least 700yds.

As mentioned above you'd probably be best off spending your money on good glass.

It will take you years to shoot out your barrel even if you shoot quite a bit and when you do it would be a good time to step up to a .300wm, 28 Nosler or something similar. The 06 is also relatively cheap to shoot and your wallet will appreciate that while you are learning to expand your capabilities as a shooter with lots of practice out beyond 300yds.

I'm sure any of the .30 cals will treat you right, personally I like the smaller .264-.284 bullets at a higher velocity. There ain't much out west that won't die just as quick from a smaller bullet. Just make sure you get a good quality bullet that will stabilize in your setup.

Ps: if you ever want to shoot I'm just west of you on 7. I go down to le seuer often and can shoot to 500

Before buying or building a rifle, it might be wise were you to consider species you're going to hunt and where you're going to hunt.

Long before magnums came along, the '06 was THE cartridge for large big game hunting in the west. It will kill everything in North America. No, I don't own one. My first big game rifle was a Model 700 .270 Win. The '06 was thought to be too much gun for a young hunter. I've never owned an '06. I wish I did. I wouldn't need another gun. Truth be told, my .270 Win will kill everything in North America.

If you want another rifle, that's one thing, But you won't need another rifle. You have a rifle that shoots exceptionally well. It will kill everything you might hunt out west.

I figure you cant own too many guns. I would like something that would work for pronghorn up to elk. Nosler M48 in 28 nosler? Remington 700 sender in 7mm rem mag?

Yes the 7mm WITH CURRENT BULLET AVAILABILITY is probably the best LR choice. However a big 30 always works, the 270 is starting to matter with the 170 and other offerings and the 338 will trump them all except for the newer 375 offerings.
The real equation is all mathematical. How fast can you drive a certain BC and still handle carrying and shooting it?
If you hunt from a truck maybe a 50 lb 375.
Walk some but on the flat? A 14 lb 338.
Walk a bunch but not recoil shy? 12 lb 300
Walk a bunch and like your teeth not kicked out? 10 lb 7mm
All of what you mentioned will do the job. Best to look at it as math. All guns nowadays are incredible. Just depends on your exact application and your hunting style
I'm a truck hunter. Gun rarely gets over 100 ft from my truck. I shoot a 30 lb 338 at everything including prairie dogs. I have humped it miles before and wished it was lighter until I had a shot.

The 6.5 creedmoor or 260 is a great candidate for what you want. It can go as far as you want, it can kill anything you want very efficiently, it is easy on the shoulder, excellent ammo is very available, handloading components are readily available now, and there are growing numbers of manufacturers producing rifles in 6.5 creedmoor. In truth, even out west, the majority of your big game shots won't be over 300 yards, as well as coyotes. Thus, the creedmoor is more than enough. Also, if you need to go 400-700 yards on a shot or want to plink paper out that far or further, it'll do that too as long as you practice.

$2000.00 is plenty for a good set up. (Rifle and scope) and the. Buy yourself a good rangefinder. Leica 1600-b is great, and a few of the bushnells for the price are actually very good. don't cheap out on your scope. If you're gonna walk mountains, don't buy a 12-18lb pig, you'll likely regret it.

Leupold, shv nightforce , trijicon accupoint, upper sightron, Zeiss conquest, upper Burris, mid-upper range vortex, all have excellent scopes in your budget.

There are several good long distance calibers out there, but few, are as gentle, potentially accurate, and capable of penetrating deep as a 6.5 in an all around package.

If you have a 0.5" 30-06, there isn't much you can't do. You don't mention scope, but if you're looking at replacing it I'd put my entire budget here.

Usable scopes exist under $2k, main point is get the best you can, then spend any left over on the other tools of the trade.

Select the correct bullet for the task at hand, and you're in business.

You mentioned you wanted something easier on the shoulder, the 6.5's are easier on the shoulder. However, if you are basically happy with your 30-06, HARPERC, is correct. A 30-06 shooting 1/2 moa will do about anything you would ever want or need also. A good rangefinder and a dandy scope, you'll be good to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.