New Rifle for LRH

Jimbeaux82

Guys,

I am new to the forum having joined a couple days ago. I have been busy reading thru many of the articles posted so that I don't ask too many questions which may have been answered before. I am a lifelong shooter, hunter and reloader but my shooting has been limited to 600 yds max. I want to push the limits out to 1000 yards and eventually beyond. I do not really have a rifle capable of doing this in my inventory so want to buy one and set it up. I would like to get some opinions on the following rifles that I am considering.

The caliber will be either 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor. One advantage to me of the 260 Rem is that I already reload for that caliber so I have cases and dies. What are the real advantages of the 6.5CM over the 260 Rem and do they outweigh the case/die eqpt that I already have?

As far as the actual rifle, I am looking at several:
1) Ruger Precision Rifle in 260 CM. Advantage is that it is already set up for 1000 yd shooting with exception of scope. Small downside (to me at least) I prefer a conventional rifle look
2) Ruger Hawkeye Varmit in 6.5 CM. Question, does anyome make a 20 deg angled PCT base that will fit the Ruger Integral mounts ?
3) Savage 11/12 LRP/LRH series, 260 rem or 6.5 CM
4) Tikka CTR, 260 Rem. Downside is 20" barrel but upside is I really like Tikka's. Question, how much will the 100-150 fps velocity loss hurt me with this setup?
5) Browning LRH, 6.5 CM.

I would like your opinions of these rifles plus any advantages/disadvantages that I might have missed.

I already have a SWFA 10X SS scope that I will mount on the setup.

TIA

Jimbeaux

This rifle will be just for target shooting, paper mostly but maybe some steel.

I may have mis-led by the title, should have put LRS instead of LRH.

Jimbeaux

Budget?

If I had to go from your list I'd take the Savage LRP.

The Ruger Precision seems interesting but I'm never an early adopter so I would wait for more real world reports regarding use and accuracy.

None of the rest of them do it for me, but that's my personal take. The Savage gives you proven accuracy, a great stock, and the ability to change barrels/calibers if you wish.

Can't speak for the other brands listed, but I have a savage in 6.5 Creedmoor that will shoot 'lights out' for a factory rifle. It especially likes RL17 and 140 grain Bergers.

I believe the difference between the two calibers is a matter of personal preference. So, if you already have dies and reloading supplies for the 260 then why not stay with that caliber..

Opinions from a born and raised Cajun now in North Carolina.
Good luck!

Another vote for the Savage LRP in 260 Rem. I have this rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and it is a very accurate rifle with an excellent trigger. The LRP uses the Savage target version of the Accutrigger and is adjustable down to about 4 oz. The Savage LRP action is also the same as the Savage target action with the bottom opened up for a DBM.

The Savage LRP is an awesome rifle. I don't think there is enough difference in the 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor to justify new reloading gear. And the one big advantage the 260 has over the 6.5 Creedmoor is the lapua brass.

It's my understanding that the two cartridge are nearly ballistic twins. If you are already set up for the 260, then run it. The 6.5 cm is certainly a great round as well. Either way, I think you'll have more than a few folks pointing to the Savage.

The only advantage that the Creedmoor has over the .260 is that there is plenty of good factory ammo to choose from at a decent price. Since you do load for the .260 already and if you use Lapua brass you will be set. There is not enough ballistic difference between the two to sway you one way or the other.

If you get Gun Test magazine, the Savage just got an A rating from them compared to A- for the Ruger. See if you can find the article.

One thing to consider between Creed and 260 is if you are loading for a short action magazine repeater. The longer VLD bullets in the heaviest weights will usually have to be seated a little deeper than we'd like in a 260 case to fit a magazine box. The Creedmoor case is slightly shorter for exactly that reason. I am about to throw a 260 together but am using a long action Stevens to solve that problem. If you load a 260 seated long, you will be able to edge out the CM for velocity just a wee bit. If you cut an Ackley-ized chamber for a 260 you'll run away from the CM.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.