Daughter's first rifle

OP,

Build a 6mm ARC in an AR15. You get the parts, she assemple her rifle with your assistance.

I did a 6 ARC barrel for a dad-daughter project in AZ. The dad is a member here, name escapes me. The young lady, from what I heard, had a great time building her own rifle. She had the last word on what color they painted the rifle.

I harvested a 20 inch in a service rifle NM contour from 6 GT take off 30 inch barrel. It was easy to get good 20 inch from the middle section of the long barrel.
I actually thought really hard about and I know she would love to build it, we built my race car together and I was not allowed to touch anything without her lol. I think the weight would be too much for her to handle, we still may build one tho

I did a Remington 700 stainless steel mountain in a factory youth stock for my daughter with 3-9 Redfield shooting managed recoil 270 rounds. So far she got a six point and two antlerless whitetails with it.

I got my son a carbon fiber manners with removable spacers. It goes from youth length to standard so he can adjust as he grows. People always say 6mm… and it sounds like you want one, but I hand load so I do not see any reason not to go .257 or 6.5. You can load light varmint bullets for practice and 100gr partitions or similar bullets for hunting. By the time they are proficient enough to shoot distances where the low bc matters they will be able to handle a little more recoil and shoot heavy for cal bullets. Just seems to future proof your choice more.

Update on where I'm at currently lol.

So a few things have changed in my plans, well maybe everything lol.

Big Horn action will be a 7PRC in a MDT chassis for me lol
Son's Rem 700 in 25-06 that is already in a youth Boyd's stock will become a 6creed for my daughter with a 20" barrel.
My Sako in 270WSM will turn into a 6.5PRC for my son in a proof 22", I'll be glad to get rid of the WSM its hard to find brass and even box ammo for it.

I think this should work out pretty good for everyone

Son's Rem 700 in 25-06 that is already in a youth Boyd's stock will become a 6creed for my daughter with a 20" barrel.
My Sako in 270WSM will turn into a 6.5PRC for my son in a proof 22", I'll be glad to get rid of the WSM its hard to find brass and even box ammo for it.

are you just doing a barrel swap? Who will you use?

While i'm a fan of the 270, you won't be disappointed with the prc -

Win win for everyone

Having gone down the gun for kid road 6 times (that' how many kids we have) I would find something mild recoil and either I wanted as well or I could unload should they loose interest. I wouldn't go break the bank to get started, if the shooting will also include hunting that's something to consider. Of my 6 I have twin girls who are now 18, one likes to hunt and the other has zero desire. She likes to shoot, but as they age into teen years the time with friends become greater and less time with us.

I said all that to say this, a 6mm (anything) is a good shooting option accurate, mild recoil - checks many boxes. There are plenty of mid range options on optics - remember this is a kid and most do not take care of things like we do. But it's your wallet, like buying them a new car at 16, but some of the biggest issues kids have these days in the "real" world is they can't afford what daddy bought them and those days are coming. I spoil mine too, but i have to remind my married ones in there later 20's you are gonna go broke trying to keep up with the jones's!

I'd do somethings over again, but then again wait till the grandchildren come - pawpaw will have some cool ****! :)
I am like you. I have two sons who hunted since they were 10 years old in Maine and then our home state Pa when they were12. Today the youngest is 40. One hunts and the other does not. I purchased them .243 mark 4 Rugers. Still have them and now my grandson uses one of them. With a leupold scope. Let the kids decide if they like it first is my suggestion too.

This old stick in the mud is going have a moment of silence for the murder of a perfectly good 25-06 to build a 6Creed. 🥺
That's the world we live in now I guess.😂

Good luck with your new builds.
I'm a sell it and buy what you want or keep it and get another gun is even better kinda guy.

The gun conversions to me are something that I don't get on a stock level (probably cost more than we have in a remington 700), but to each is own most wouldn't get why i own guns that have never and will never be fired by me. My money my choice, and a good 6mm is sure hard to beat in most cases but so is a good 25 caliber. :)

Hope everyone is happy with the end game, that's all that matters -

She should have no problem shooting 6 cm at 12 years old, my son started out shooting 6 cm two year ago at 11 and now he has been talking about trying out my .38 cal revolver. Good luck.

So my daughter wants to start shooting. So this is what I'm thinking, 6 creed origin action with proof carbon barrel and that's where I end lol. Looking for recommendations on stocks, I would like something lite and adjustable so she can handle it (she is small lol). I have a can for it (TBAC7) so I'm thinking kick should not be a problem. Also on glass MOA and SFP with a good eye box. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Curious, why sfp? Should be a very nice pew. Especially for a new shooter! Stay safe and have fun.

My first rifle at 12 was a .243 and although many times reworked I still own it. Low recoil and a pleasure to shoot.
Now in my 70s, I was considering rebarelling it yet again to a faster twist AI. When I did the math, decided to buy a Ruger in 6 Creed for the money. Great accuracy right out of the box with factory ammo and a little rework on the trigger.
So now I have my old 243 that likes 70 grainers(slow twist) and this New ruger that has a fast twist and can shoot heavier bullets. I think the 6mm would be a good choice for your daughter with minimal investment.
I will always have a soft spot for my very old 243. Just can't go wrong with that one!