Daughter's First Mule Deer

PatriotHenry

Third year of trying was the charm for my 13yr old Daughter. Opening morning general tag Idaho. Spotted this buck feeding at first light. Made the stalk as close as we could get. Could not get her prone (angle and brush interfered), so ranged, dialed (perfect conditions 1-2mph wind) and got her set up sitting with her bi-pod. Backpack upright for a rear rest. She made the 368yd shot with her .224 Vlk. I am one super proud Dad! Not only was her first buck way bigger than mine, the shot was about 300yds further!

Attachments

• Halleroo Deer hunt 2.jpg
    Halleroo Deer hunt 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 873
  • Halleroo Deer hunt 3.jpg
    Halleroo Deer hunt 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 763
  • Halleroo Deer hunt 4.jpg
    Halleroo Deer hunt 4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 770
  • Halleroo Deer hunt.jpg
    Halleroo Deer hunt.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 777
  • Halleroo's buck 2.jpg
    Halleroo's buck 2.jpg
    969.8 KB · Views: 801
  • Halleroo's buck.jpg
    Halleroo's buck.jpg
    705.3 KB · Views: 810
Third year of trying was the charm for my 13yr old Daughter. Opening morning general tag Idaho. Spotted this buck feeding at first light. Made the stalk as close as we could get. Could not get her prone (angle and brush interfered), so ranged, dialed (perfect conditions 1-2mph wind) and got her set up sitting with her bi-pod. Backpack upright for a rear rest. She made the 368yd shot with her .224 Vlk. I am one super proud Dad! Not only was her first buck way bigger than mine, the shot was about 300yds further!
Wonderful, and nice shooting!

Nice going....

I remember my own daughter's first buck.

I knew how much it meant to her when I overheard her telling the story to her best friend.

She said "when the buck came out and I aimed at it I was so nervous that my left leg started shaking....".

This is the same sweet girl who now - 27 years later - competes in triathlons with her running friends and backpacks western mountains with me.

I am so lucky!

Recent Posts