First custom rifle

I have always found humor in the ar guys that purchase a rifle and change everything for "improved" parts. Why not just build what you want? I guess it comes down to what you really want or need. Does everyone want or need a .25 moa $5000+ rifle? I havent got into the long range shooting yet, but do know my old hunting rifle probably would need a tune up at least.....but dont be surprised if I show up with full out precision rifle tomorrow.....I need an intervention.....or lotto win!

Are you really saying you can't build a custom rifle for $3k? That is BS man...
It depends on the parts you use. I just put a budget list together for a build I want to start soon
Bat Action 40 MOA Integrel Rail 1640
Bottom Metal & Mag 200
Trigger Tech Trigger 200
Barrel 400
Muzzle Brake 200
B&C Stock 400

3000+ without the reamer, dies, scope and rings and brass and other components. All that and the labor is going to add up to another 3000+. maybe 4000+

Last edited:
It depends on the parts you use. I just put a budget list together for a build I want to start soon
Bat Action 40 MOA Integrel Rail 1640
Bottom Metal & Mag 200
Trigger Tech Trigger 200
Barrel 400
Muzzle Brake 200
B&C Stock 400

3000+ without the reamer, dies, scope and rings and brass and other components. All that and the labor is going to add up to another 3000+. maybe 4000+

My point was you can build a custom rifle for $3k or less and they will shoot just as well as those costing 2x that much.

So I want to get my first custom rifle and have a few ideas in mind. I wanted to get some input on my choices before I spend the money. Seeing how I'm just getting into reloading and the higher end spectrum of rifles I want to know if my money is better spent on a brand new rifle or should I pick up something used? I'm hunting in CA and the places I hunt are usually very steep with long walks in and out so I want something light. Thanks in advance.

These are the rifles that I'm looking at.
1) Alamo Precision Rifles, custom carbon 300 win mag
2) Fierce, carbon fury in 28 nosler or 300 win mag
3) Nosler, M48 Long-Range carbon in 28 nosler or 300 win mag

We've cluttered up your query with a different argument.

Getting back on track:

Once you get past a certain threshold they should all perform.

Look, and if possible handle them all. One will speak to you.

So I want to get my first custom rifle and have a few ideas in mind. I wanted to get some input on my choices before I spend the money. Seeing how I'm just getting into reloading and the higher end spectrum of rifles I want to know if my money is better spent on a brand new rifle or should I pick up something used? I'm hunting in CA and the places I hunt are usually very steep with long walks in and out so I want something light. Thanks in advance.

These are the rifles that I'm looking at.
1) Alamo Precision Rifles, custom carbon 300 win mag
2) Fierce, carbon fury in 28 nosler or 300 win mag
3) Nosler, M48 Long-Range carbon in 28 nosler or 300 win mag
I guess there are a couple of things to consider. How much hunting/ firearms experience you have and how well are you set up with binos and packs. Since you have to trek long and possibly hard glass and packs are a consideration. Is pigs your target game or are you hunting Northern Cal for bucks? In any case you could pick out one of the three shops for a rifle, pick a factory rifle, or get rifle built locally. There's a shop in Ventura County that has a good reputation, I think they are the armorers/ smith for Top Shot. I guess you have to tell us why you want a "Custom" rifle. Is it for accuracy? Is it for smooth, reliable function? Or is it weight? In any case a used rifle with proven performance and round count is fine. Otherwise I'd get new. And don't rule out a local smith, you can always have an action trued and pick out your components.

LOTS of opinions posted :)

Question for you guys. How many times have you put together custom builds on paper, totaling all the costs up with all of the different options... only to never build the rifle you just spent 3 days obsessing over? We've all done it. Just pointing out that 80% of the reason for custom builds is the fun of planning it. Otherwise we would all just screw ramage barrels onto pawn shop bolt actions and we'd be shooting 95% as accurate anyways.

I remember in a business and marketing class they said to pick a market where the customers are "irrationally passionate". Haha, I think firearms would qualify.

So I finally got a chance to do the barrel break in on my new APR, by finally I mean I've only had it two weeks. I've been really excited to see what I can do with it. I was using factory Hornady ammo, 150 grain InterLock, American whitetail, at 100 yards. This is my 5 shot group after I did the barrel break in. One got away from me, it was #5 and I think I but it up in my head too much and I screwed up the group. Needless to say I am very pleased with the rifle and I can't wait to take it out to some longer distances. I was shooting off a bench at a range with my hunting pack for a rest. And yes I know I put the target upside down, as a couple of buddies have already made me well aware of.
APR5shot.jpg

Shamu,

I find it interesting that you picked the name Shamu for your handle here. What prompted that?

Now that most of the full custom, partial custom, factory rifle etc arguments have calmed down for awhile at least I'm curious as to what your bare rifle weighs without the scope or rings or other stuff and no ammo loaded?

I think your choice of 300 Win Mag is a great choice for hunting and if you want to end up with some long range hunting you'll already have a rifle chambered in a very good long range cartridge.

You might want to try a little heavier bullet than the 150. In all my 30 caliber rifles I've ever owned the 165 and 180gr bullets tend to shoot more accurately and seem to hold together better in game but if your rifle is very light the extra recoil the heavier bullets seem to generate can be a bit objectionable.

Also, unless I missed it, I never did catch your discussion of the types of game you intended to hunt with this rifle although you certainly won't be size limited for North American game.

Shamu,

I find it interesting that you picked the name Shamu for your handle here. What prompted that?

Now that most of the full custom, partial custom, factory rifle etc arguments have calmed down for awhile at least I'm curious as to what your bare rifle weighs without the scope or rings or other stuff and no ammo loaded?

I think your choice of 300 Win Mag is a great choice for hunting and if you want to end up with some long range hunting you'll already have a rifle chambered in a very good long range cartridge.

You might want to try a little heavier bullet than the 150. In all my 30 caliber rifles I've ever owned the 165 and 180gr bullets tend to shoot more accurately and seem to hold together better in game but if your rifle is very light the extra recoil the heavier bullets seem to generate can be a bit objectionable.

Also, unless I missed it, I never did catch your discussion of the types of game you intended to hunt with this rifle although you certainly won't be size limited for North American game.
It's a name I picked up in the Marines from a scout sniper buddy of mine, I'm not a sniper just good friends with a few. I forget how it actually came about, but it stuck for the rest of the deployment.
As for the rifle it comes in at 6.8 lbs. I haven't weighed it with scope/rounds yet, I need to do that. I wanted a light rifle because of the type of terrain I hunt here in CA and I want to start going on regular elk hunting trips and experience what the different states have to offer. I went to colorado a few years ago and had an amazing time. Planning one right now for Idaho in October. Ounces equal lbs and lbs equal pain. I have two other 300 win mags and I have always really liked this rd. I feel that this will be able to take on any game animal I will be hunting with it. I think the biggest thing I will be going after is elk, but maybe in the distant future if I go after moose or the like it'll be an excuse to get a another new rifle. For now, this rifle is more than enough for me. Plus theres always 300 win mag on the shelves, even out here in CA....even at Dicks sporting goods......I know shocker hahaha. I completely agree with you on the heavier bullet choice but now that CA is switching over to completely lead free ammo i gotta put it to use so I figured barrel break in would be good for that. I'm going to be reloading for this rifle too.

Thanks for the info and advice. Keep it coming.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.