First Bear with APS Rifle

buzz4me2

It's been a very quick couple of days. I signed up a few months ago to go on a SW coast Oregon bear hunt. I've hunted with Spoon Creek Outfitters for elk in 2008 and signed up with them for my first bear hunt. Ken guarantees you a bear or you come back until you get one.

I made the 7.5 hour drive on Friday arriving around lunch time. We loaded up and went for lunch. By 2:00 we were glassing for bears. Ken was 2 for 2 so far but no big bears yet. Mostly 175 - 200 and the 2 he got were right around 200lbs. After glassing public lands where some bears had been seen we went to his lease.

Around 5:00 Ken saw a real nice bear about a mile away. His grandson, also a guide, confirmed it was big and we were off. After 10 minutes of racing on dirt roads to get in position, we were lucky and the bear was still there feeding.

I gave everyone a scare because for the life of me I couldn't see the bear. It was in a clear cut. After a couple of minutes of back and fourth, yes Ken was getting worried, I finally got him in my sights. I dialed up the NF scope on my Kirby Allen build .338RUM for the 535 yard shot. It was going to be tough because of the angle. I basically had his back to shoot at because of the steep angle. He wasn't going to give me a broad side shot. With no wind I felt plenty confident.

At the shot I saw the bear hunch up but then lost sight of him while cycling the action. Both Ken and Justin said he was down. He took a 50 yard dive down the hill and fortunately was stopped by a tree. After some high 5's we drove over and climbed down.

He was a beautiful bear that we estimated at 275 - 300 lbs. The biggest of the season and according to Ken in the upper 10% of the bears for the area.

So in 3 hours of hunting I had my first bear plus my first long range kill with my rifle. After a 3hr clean and pack up a hill, on my hands and knees for 100 yards, we were eating a late dinner and hitting the sack.

After a trip to the taxidermist and breakfast with Ken I was on my way back home to drop meat off at the butcher. I had no idea it could happen so fast and I had a great time.

I've will be going back in November for another Roosevelt elk hunt with Ken. I'm keeping my fingers crossed my luck will continue.

I also can't say enough about him and his outfit. Top notch all the way around. Three hunts with him in 3 years tells you all you need to know.

I'll try to get some pics up later in the week after I get a little rest.

Last edited:
Very good. When you're on you're on....

Any notes on bullet terminal performance?

I figure you're in the gov't hide'em program as there were no pics.:)

Here are a few pics of the bear. I was shoot a 300 grain SMK. I'm going to start another post with a pic or two of the bullet and get some feedback.

I'm new to the SMK's so I don't know what to be expected. What I can tell you is I have shot 2 animals with them, a moose at 50 yards and this bear at 535 yards. Both required a single shot that put them down in their tracks.

In the end that's all that matters and these have been devastating.

Copy1ofmikebear10024.jpg

Copy1ofmikebear10043.jpg

Congratulations, nice shooting. Sounds like everything went like clockwork.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts