First time out with new rifle

olympicmotors

Today was my first chance I have had to shoot my new accurized Remington 700 from Hill Country Rifles ( 300 wm ). It took several shots to get on the paper then several more to dial it in at 100 yards. I probably shot 15 rounds total to finally get it dialed in, then I moved out to 200 yards ( which is the longest that range offers. ).

I shot an honest 2 inch group ( 6 shots with one called flyer ruining the group) at 200 yards. I was shooting off sand bags ( I forgot to bring my ransom rest ) and was not waiting very long between shots ( maybe 2 - 3 minutes maximum. about 55 degrees with strong winds ( maybe 10 - 12 mph ? ). I got this group with Nosler 180 grain accubond factory ammo. ( what Hill Country recommended ). The barrel was probably getting pretty dirty at this time, but really did not seem to be getting hot, just a little warm .

I know this is not very good by the standards of what some of you on this forum can do, but this is by far the best I have ever shot . I came away motivated to do better next time.

A couple of observations:

first, the barrel never got hot, like my Ruger used to do after 5 - 6 shots, it used to get so hot I could not hold it for over a second or two. I would always stop shooting when it got that hot. the Remington is also a 26 inch barrel, the Ruger has a 24 inch. ( both are 300 wm ).

second, I think the Remington has a better recoil pad, it did not hurt my sholder like the Ruger does.

I am not sure what to try next to improve things, maybe I will try some Hornady ( my Ruger liked it by far the best of anything ). Definitely wait for better weather conditions also. and take my ransom rest next time.

More information on your load development would be helpful. Have you tested different powder charges or different powders. Have you tested seating depths? It sounds like you have a good start with what ever load you are using.

I have not gotten into hand loading yet. I really would like to find a factory round that shoots well, if possible.

Hill Country Rifles was able to get a 0.1 inch group at 100 yards with Nosler accubond.
Even they hint that may have been a fluke, but It is still probably capable of better accuracy than I got today with factory ammo. ( I hope anyway ).

MOA with factory ammo is pretty good. Try different ammo and you might hit on something even better. I've had good luck in the past with Federal Premium.
My daughter has a factory Browning .300 win that reliably shoots half-moa with a particular factory load with 165 gr Barnes TSX.

MOA with factory ammo is pretty good. Try different ammo and you might hit on something even better. I've had good luck in the past with Federal Premium.
My daughter has a factory Browning .300 win that reliably shoots half-moa with a particular factory load with 165 gr Barnes TSX.

also I wouldn't discount the cheap stuff too. My older browning hated everything I threw at it. 1.5inch groups at 100 yards was best I could get, then I put some regular old Remington core lokts in it and bam.... .75ish MOA out to 300 yards. that was the furthest I could test at the time.

Today was my first chance I have had to shoot my new accurized Remington 700 from Hill Country Rifles ( 300 wm ). It took several shots to get on the paper then several more to dial it in at 100 yards. I probably shot 15 rounds total to finally get it dialed in, then I moved out to 200 yards ( which is the longest that range offers. ).

I shot an honest 2 inch group ( 6 shots with one called flyer ruining the group) at 200 yards. I was shooting off sand bags ( I forgot to bring my ransom rest ) and was not waiting very long between shots ( maybe 2 - 3 minutes maximum. about 55 degrees with strong winds ( maybe 10 - 12 mph ? ). I got this group with Nosler 180 grain accubond factory ammo. ( what Hill Country recommended ). The barrel was probably getting pretty dirty at this time, but really did not seem to be getting hot, just a little warm .

I know this is not very good by the standards of what some of you on this forum can do, but this is by far the best I have ever shot . I came away motivated to do better next time.

A couple of observations:

first, the barrel never got hot, like my Ruger used to do after 5 - 6 shots, it used to get so hot I could not hold it for over a second or two. I would always stop shooting when it got that hot. the Remington is also a 26 inch barrel, the Ruger has a 24 inch. ( both are 300 wm ).

second, I think the Remington has a better recoil pad, it did not hurt my sholder like the Ruger does.

I am not sure what to try next to improve things, maybe I will try some Hornady ( my Ruger liked it by far the best of anything ). Definitely wait for better weather conditions also. and take my ransom rest next time.

Just a hint about factory ammo. If you do find one your rifle likes...immediately go back to the store and buy several boxes. Lot numbers can effect accuracy. if this is simply a hunting rifle and not for target practice 3 boxes or so could last you a good amount of time.

Just a hint about factory ammo. If you do find one your rifle likes...immediately go back to the store and buy several boxes. Lot numbers can effect accuracy. if this is simply a hunting rifle and not for target practice 3 boxes or so could last you a good amount of time.

So why is factory ammo so inherently inaccurate? Is it because they just do not measure the powder charge as carefully, or is it that with hand loads you can experiment with different powders and charges and tailor a load to your rifle? Or both? I have paid upwards of $75 a box for some premium factory ammo ( such as black hills ) . You would think they would have very stringent standards very good quality control.

So why is factory ammo so inherently inaccurate? Is it because they just do not measure the powder charge as carefully, or is it that with hand loads you can experiment with different powders and charges and tailor a load to your rifle? Or both? I have paid upwards of $75 a box for some premium factory ammo ( such as black hills ) . You would think they would have very stringent standards very good quality control.
I wouldn't say factory ammo is inherently inaccurate- it's just that it's factory ammo meant to be able to function in any rifle of the specific chambering. While one brand/ type works well in my rifle, the same might not be what works well for my friends. There are so many variables across different makes and models of rifles that it makes it nearly impossible for factory ammo to shoot well in all rifles. That's why I handload.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.