4ked Horns first bear.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I felt I should share it with everyone here since the entire group of members here are sort of like an extended group of hunting buddies. Like I said, it wasn't long range but according to the neighbor and the taxidermist it is a rather large bear for the area and since it was my first bear I thought it was sort of a special event that you all might enjoy being a part of.

Thanks to all for the congradulations. It makes the results of the successful hunt seem to last longer.

Congratulations 4ked on your first bear!!! Very good story and most definitly some great friends and neighbors!! I tried for my first bear this past season and came up empty handed but your story only gives me more inspiration! Keep up the good hunting and once again congratulations on your bear!!

Great story and pics. Heck, it was better than watching some outdoor show. Had me on the edge of my seat.

Congrats on a great hunt

Joe

4Ked Horn: I don't remember my first deer or elk or moose but I darn sure never forgotten my first bear! And neither will you. I bet when ever you think back on that bear, it will put a smile on your face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Horn,
That is a great story, most unfortunate that your "bait" had to happen from the freezer incident but you did well. Dead is dead, I had the opportunity to do a scapula shot last week and the bear's head was pretty much touching the bait, died real fast.

Congratulations, great story and I am very happy that you got a fine bear.

Thanks for all the recent congrats. It really does add to the whole hunt.

Just an update. The wife and I boiled the skull today to prep it for bleaching. The whole ordeal took about 7-8 hours from taking the frozen skull out of the bag the way the taxidermist gave it to us all the way to the end of clean up. It is a ton of work and waiting. I think that next time I will pay to have the thing cleaned by dermestid beetles. Anyway it will hopefully be bleached within one week. I will try to post some pictures of the canine teeth. For anyone that has not seen these teeth they are enormus. I had never seen the whole bear canine tooth untill this evening and I was flabbergasted. Watch for that coming soon. Also I will post pictures of the whole bleached skull (good or bad) as soon as I get it all reassembled after bleaching.

BTW the neighbor, Curt, came over today to pick up the pictures to show his coworkers and he showed me how they measure the skull. Mine measured 19" on the money. His 400 pounder measured exactly the same. This whole bear thing is getting better by the day.

Oh, and before I forget, we had bear fajitas last night for dinner. Mmmmmm!

Thanks again everyone. I'm glad I can share this with all of you.

Congrat 4ked horn! Excellent story and pics. Sounds like a great adventure. I can't wait to take a bear hear in Colorado.. Take care

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys for some reason I can't see the pics??Can everyone else see them??

[/ QUOTE ]Aw man, you're missing it. You'd really like the photo of that chick in the bikini... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4kedHorn, congrats on that bruin. As you told the story it was as if I was there with ya. Got a good laugh from this part:

[ QUOTE ]
She ran the idea by me to see what I thought about it. After thinking it over for about a pico pico second I said "Um, well honey, if you are sure it won't interfere with my plans to help you paint the kids room?" NOT REALLY! I was going for the gun by the time the words "GAME ON!" came out of my mouth. The neighbors probably heard me yelling "I'm gonna kill a bear, I'm gonna kill a bear." As I ran around the house with my hands full of hunting gear getting ready for what was to come.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Allen

4Ked Horn: If you think spring bear tastes good, just wait till you try some killed in the fall. I rate that meat only a notch (small) below elk! Make your plans now for fall, keep that bait station going until you can kill again in the fall and you will be in heaven! The grease is out of this world for bake goods, nothing finer. Just thinking about the bosses sourdough bake goods done in BLACK-bear grease makes my mouth water. Try it, it will make you a believer! If you don't know about doing a drip, find out! Remember, the only good black bear is the one in your freezer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Aw man, you're missing it. You'd really like the photo of that chick in the bikini...

[/ QUOTE ] No Fair skinny! You said chick in a bathing suit and I went crazy trying to view the pics and they finally came up but no chick no bathing suit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Just some guys holding a stinking bear! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Nice looking bear 4ked! Looks like you will be having more of them fajita's with that new freezer filler!
Congrats once again!

7Rum, I'm glad you got to see the pictures. Sorry about the bikini thing. Maybe we will post some on the next hunt.

Skinny, I'm glad you liked the story. When my wife read that part she laughed as well. You gotta love a woman that asks you to go kill a bear and then helps you bleach the skull. If you have ever prepped a skull for bleaching by boiling it you know how dedicated a wife she must be. It's pretty gross and it stinks.

3Six. I don't know what a drip is. Please let me know. Also since going on this hunt I have been much more interested in a good bear load for my S&W model 29 .44 mag. If I remember right you have some strong prefference for hard cast bullets. Do you have a recipie you would reccomend. What about a load for the .357 mag? I, as well as my neighbor would like your thoughts on this as he actually took his 400 pounder with .357s and although his loads penetrated his friends didn't and now they are in search of a better load. (Curt is also looking at getting a bigger pistol in light of his results.)

[ QUOTE ]
Actually that last night I decided to ride my bike in to the spot because my ankles had about had it. Left overs from an old car wreck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry 4key, I failed to realize that you had trouble getting around and that explains why you were reluctant to go into the bushes after a bear. (bad ankles could make getting out of harms way a little difficult) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif No offense ment by my statement. Correct me next time about extinuating circumstances. And for your safetys sake I am glad you had a freind there to help you out.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.