Bear Meat?

JE Custom.I guess you dont like bear meat,lol.Thats fine.As for crow,get them in the summer,pretty good!.The winter crows have been pickin the cow dung and eat the corn and such from the farmers spreading it on their fields.If you live near a landfill,i would not eat it eather,lol.Wild crow that has been feeding from natural foods in the wild is very tasty.As a young man i took trips in remote areas with just a 22,and a fishing pole,cordage,lighter,matshes,and sometimes a small roll of plastic.It was a great learning experience.I tryed about anything you could name just to see if it was worth the effort in a servival situtation or not.Eat what you want,:cool:lol,i do,:).pan.

Old thread but I was surprised when I first read some people eat Bear on another site.

I thought they were used for floor rugs. I so want one

I've seen a small full body mount Black bear in Australia.

Some eat feral pigs many don't because pigs eat anything but like a bear they take good vegetation over rank carcases.

I hear bear is prepared in all ways possible. Now that I'm making salami and sausage a healthy wild pig might be good for that.

Love to bear hunt, and love bear meat. To harvest a bear in AZ without dogs on public land, generally is an awesome challenge. Our bears main food sources are manzanita berries, oak, juniper berries, prickly pear fruit, black berries, flowers, grasses, exc. One of the things that has made a huge difference in taste on multiple different bears that I have noticed, is getting the hide off ASAP. And as soon as that hide is off, then getting the fat off of the meat ASAP as your cutting them up. Bear fat left to long attached seems to contribute to "chewiness". Generally just grind up all the meat. Well cooked ground works on many recipes! Has a natural spice to it on my taste buds

Love to bear hunt, and love bear meat. To harvest a bear in AZ without dogs on public land, generally is an awesome challenge. Our bears main food sources are manzanita berries, oak, juniper berries, prickly pear fruit, black berries, flowers, grasses, exc. One of the things that has made a huge difference in taste on multiple different bears that I have noticed, is getting the hide off ASAP. And as soon as that hide is off, then getting the fat off of the meat ASAP as your cutting them up. Bear fat left to long attached seems to contribute to "chewiness". Generally just grind up all the meat. Well cooked ground works on many recipes! Has a natural spice to it on my taste buds

Is this bear too fatty?
IMG_4179.JPG

Bear can be incredible and it can be gross. They tend to vary more than most critters. But bear was THE meat to get on the frontier and the bear grease was used as currency. The fat renders to an incredibly clear , wonderful, healthy oil that makes the best bakery.
I wish the bear I shot this spring, had that fat! I'm jealous!
Bear shanks in the instant pot are absolutely incredible. I actually wish bears had more shanks somewhere. Taste and texture like a juicy pot roast. Summer Sausage or thuringer type, will be made soon ....that just makes us grin as we eat it.

Bear tend to taste like what they eat. You get a coastal black bear in Alaska that's been eating fish, I can understand that it may be a bit on the gnarly side. I shoot one every spring here in Idaho and think they're mighty tasty. Honestly, I'd take a non coastal black bear over any mule deer. It's all about what you do with the meat. Deer and elk I tend to make all the steaks I can. Bear is all about roasts and grind. My wife would tell you she likes a good bear roast better than elk

Is this bear too fatty?
View attachment 393795
I wouldn't know, I've never seen one.

On another note maybe the fat goes rancid affecting taste.

Responses are varied, can be Gross can be amazing, even gnarly of it's been eating fish.

Best used for grind unless your wife loves bear roast. Might taste better than Elk or
Keen to hunt one of I ever travel to the US. I would want a rug. Too tight to pay up for a big Grizzly bear do a Cinnamon colour phase would look great and it might be edible or worth a try.

My granddaughters favorite meat is bear. Like all game,how the carcass is handled is going to affect the quality of the meat. I would usually have the hide off and meat in the cooler within an hour. We would trim all fat off.

I never shot a costal bear or a dump bear. I could see how that could affect the meat. As with all meat,diet does determine the flavor of the final product.