Meateater Show serving rare bear meat

So from what I understand and have read it doesn't kill trichinosis by freezing but prevents it from attaching to you. Yes you must be careful. You only need to cook it to I believe it is 137 which is actually medium- medium rare which will kill trichinosis. Problem is if your trying to do a cold smoke on jerky or salomi. I try to smoke mine about 180 so that the internal temp hits 145 range. By the way at the 137 it's a good idea to hit 145 to be certain your temp thermometer is ok. Pull it out at 140 on a roast and it will rise to 145. Been eating bear meat this way for years.

So from what I understand and have read it doesn't kill trichinosis by freezing but prevents it from attaching to you. Yes you must be careful. You only need to cook it to I believe it is 137 which is actually medium- medium rare which will kill trichinosis. Problem is if your trying to do a cold smoke on jerky or salomi. I try to smoke mine about 180 so that the internal temp hits 145 range. By the way at the 137 it's a good idea to hit 145 to be certain your temp thermometer is ok. Pull it out at 140 on a roast and it will rise to 145. Been eating bear meat this way for years.

Not to long ago here on the East coast they told us the tuna fish were full of mercury. I have been eating tuna raw, smoked, grilled, and canned since 1985. ( I am really good at telling the temperature though)

Just watched Steven Rinella's meateater 2 part show where he got a Dall sheep. It is one of the few hunting shows I enjoy in part due to the cooking and eating of meat soon after the kill.

A bit later another guy shot a black bear. I watched with horror as Steve served up a very rare black bear cut from the fire! Maybe those guys will get lucky and not get trichinosis. Looked up the symptoms, not pleasant. Cure is at least 2 weeks of special meds.... Geez Steve!
That was stupid. There's also a very aggressive tape worm you can get from eating under cooked bear meat.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.