First Deer with Suppressed Rifle...Incredible

I've read here that suppressors can actually make your gun (load) shoot more accurate. So, I was excited when I got mine to shoot of course! However, my 6.5 CM went from 3/4" ctc groups all day with my handloads at 100 yards, to 1 1/2" ctc! What the? Any thoughts on this?
Yes - rework your load for the pressure and harmonic difference the can makes.

I usually do load development with the can off, I want to be 100% that I have fully round holes on target before I risk ruining a can with a baffle strike, just my preference. Bullets are cheap, cans aren't and the wait is just a silly ATF wait is just ridiculous. Gets to be a lot of cumbersome junk with the can on and then the magnetospeed over that. Once I have things sorted out pretty well I'll throw the can on. Usually just a small seating depth change and it's good to go!

Do the cans "wear out"? I'm quite intrigued by this and might pursue it. It would seem that one might need a few of these with different profile barrels even if thread pitch is common between rifles? I'm thinking now about my next production rifle purchase, probably in 6.5 PRC or 6.5-284. Just for the sake of discussion say I were to get something like a Cooper backcountry with a threaded radial brake. Would such a rifle be "can-ready"?

I have 2 size cans. 338 for my 338 normas and 30 caliber for all 30 caliber rifles and below. The 30 caliber cans work just fine on anything down to .223. I have even used the 338 cans on a .223 and it works fine. Just a big heavy can. Back in the 80 and 90s I worked on a big south Texas ranch guiding deer hunters and we got a lot of out of state hunters. A lot of the northern hunters showed up thinking we still wore six shooters and rode horses.

I've read here that suppressors can actually make your gun (load) shoot more accurate. So, I was excited when I got mine to shoot of course! However, my 6.5 CM went from 3/4" ctc groups all day with my handloads at 100 yards, to 1 1/2" ctc! What the? Any thoughts on this?

Something just ain't right. Unless there's a crown or concentricity issue where bullets are striking you shouldn't be seeing anything other than perhaps a POI shift.

Stop shooting it and get it to a good smith to evaluate.

Do the cans "wear out"? I'm quite intrigued by this and might pursue it. It would seem that one might need a few of these with different profile barrels even if thread pitch is common between rifles? I'm thinking now about my next production rifle purchase, probably in 6.5 PRC or 6.5-284. Just for the sake of discussion say I were to get something like a Cooper backcountry with a threaded radial brake. Would such a rifle be "can-ready"?

They do eventually wear out, the quality of the material, design, and manufacturing process has a lot to do with it. I have an Eliteiron (supporting locally made in Montana products) Bravo and this is how they are built ...

Yes, as long as the thread on the muzzle and suppressor are the same. However, the stiffer the barrel, the better.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.