First Deer with Suppressed Rifle...Incredible

"Glenn Tullius, I've read here that suppressors can actually make your gun (load) shoot more accurate. So, I was excited when I got mine to shoot of course! However, my 6.5 CM went from 3/4" ctc groups all day with my handloads at 100 yards, to 1 1/2" ctc! What the? Any thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]
A change in load should be expected because the weight of the suppressor is going to change barrel harmonics.

If it were only easier to get ur hands on em. They should be a simple background check same as a weapon purchase. I'd love to hunt suppressed, unfortunately I'd need to shorten all my barrels 4-6" to make room. Also the recoil reduction isn't nearly on the same level as a good brake. It's much more noticeable on larger Magnum chambers.

this x2. We shouldn't even have to do a background check in my opinion. It should be like buying a box of ammunition.

I have 2 size cans. 338 for my 338 normas and 30 caliber for all 30 caliber rifles and below. The 30 caliber cans work just fine on anything down to .223. I have even used the 338 cans on a .223 and it works fine. Just a big heavy can. Back in the 80 and 90s I worked on a big south Texas ranch guiding deer hunters and we got a lot of out of state hunters. A lot of the northern hunters showed up thinking we still wore six shooters and rode horses.
Don't ask my neighbor ,all you'll hear is the click of the hammer locking back:D:) Fine TEXAS friend/neighbor ,my back will always be covered as long as he can pull a trigger.....

"Glenn Tullius, I've read here that suppressors can actually make your gun (load) shoot more accurate. So, I was excited when I got mine to shoot of course! However, my 6.5 CM went from 3/4" ctc groups all day with my handloads at 100 yards, to 1 1/2" ctc! What the? Any thoughts on this?
A change in load should be expected because the weight of the suppressor is going to change barrel harmonics.[/QUOTE]

My opinion, so it's probably not of high value.....the barrel harmonic were changed. This can go either way with accuracy. The POI change, is "almost" guaranteed! memtb

They do eventually wear out, the quality of the material, design, and manufacturing process has a lot to do with it. I have an Eliteiron (supporting locally made in Montana products) Bravo and this id how they are built ...

Yes, as long as the thread on the muzzle and suppressor are the same. However, the stiffer the barrel, the better.

Thanks FEENIX! I watched the video and it was quite enlightening. It would seem that there's more to it than just buying a threaded production rifle and screwing on a can. Does a stiffer barrel necessarily mean a thicker and heavier one? I'd be interested to hear from guys that have had good luck suppressing a production rifle and the combination they used. In any event, Elite Iron looks like the real deal!

Thanks FEENIX! I watched the video and it was quite enlightening. It would seem that there's more to it than just buying a threaded production rifle and screwing on a can. Does a stiffer barrel necessarily mean a thicker and heavier one? I'd be interested to hear from guys that have had good luck suppressing a production rifle and the combination they used. In any event, Elite Iron looks like the real deal!

For the most part, yes but barrel length is also a factor. For instance, a 20" barrel is stiffer than a 26" of the same barrel contour.

So far, I have a couple of factory production rifles (Savage 11F .300WSM and TCA Compass 6.5 CM) that my suppressor screws on and shoots well without any issues.

I've not compared the recoil on the same rifle suppressed and braked, but I completely believe you on this one...but I will say it's nice to have a recoil reducing AND noise reduction in one device. My can ain't all that quiet (form 1 poorly designed) but I definitely notice reduced recoil on my .308win and I get to shoot without hearing protection...which but me I'm the butt the other day when I was shooting it and switched to an unsuppressed and forgot to put in my ear plugs my ears were ringing. Shooting put the back door of my shop, boy was that stupid
LOL birdiemc

I did exactly that, bought a factory threaded rem 700 and screwed on my can...gotta watch those factory threads though, mine didnt have a relief groove cut so the end cap of the suppressor wasnt able to seat against the shoulder of the barrel, I chucked up the can in my lathe and bored a recess so now it does. One of these days I'll pull the barrel and fix it, but for now this solution works.
20200116_172952.jpg
20200116_173018.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.