First Deer with Suppressed Rifle...Incredible

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Ingwe, Jan 14, 2020.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Ingwe

Ingwe Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I live in New York but just yesterday, due to the generosity of a friend, I shot a doe on a friends ranch in South Texas with a suppressed 6.5 Creedmore....all I can say is that I was amazed. Barely a crack, a hissing as the bullet cuts through the air, then the sound of an impact. No recoil to speak of either.

Just an amazing experience. I also shot his 338 Lapua at 500 yard steel.
    Made me realize how fast Bullets travel and how hard they impact....both sounds muffled by the report of an unsurpressed rifle.

Im jealous of you guys now, and I totally “get it” why people are crazy about suppressors

2. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Yep, they are amazing.

3. Elk Hunter 338

Elk Hunter 338 Well-Known Member

yep i wont hunt without them

KR260 and Ingwe like this.
  4. 762x51

762x51 Well-Known Member

agreed, they are awesome. i shot my first deer with a suppressed rifle last year. my groups tighten up a hair with it on too. the length can be a pain in the neck sometimes trudging through the woods and getting into the stand, but it's worth it to not blow out your ear drums or try to fumble with ear pro right before a shot

jareese, WYO300RUM and Ingwe like this.
  5. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

Noise and sound reduction. Also doesn’t spook game most of the time. Hardly ever shoot unsuppressed anymore.

popeye, Chase723 and Ingwe like this.
  6. highdrum

highdrum Well-Known Member

If it were only easier to get ur hands on em. They should be a simple background check same as a weapon purchase. I'd love to hunt suppressed, unfortunately I'd need to shorten all my barrels 4-6" to make room. Also the recoil reduction isn't nearly on the same level as a good brake. It's much more noticeable on larger Magnum chambers.

7. Ingwe

Ingwe Well-Known Member

The rifle I used had an integral suppressed barrel...it was pretty fat the entire length but after a while I didn’t notice it

WYO300RUM likes this.
  8. teamr2

teamr2 Member

Have been enjoying a SiCo Harvester on a Kimber MA in 308 for a couple years. I’m with you OP, it amazing. They should be available over the counter.

WildRose, dfrahm, Lahunter76 and 4 others like this.
  9. sturner

sturner Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Yep I ain’t hunted without a can since I got mine and the only time I shoot one without is because there no threads to screw in on

WYO300RUM, birdiemc and Ingwe like this.
  10. Ingwe

Ingwe Well-Known Member

I now see what you guys mean

sturner likes this.
  11. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

12. sturner

sturner Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Ingwe and johnnyk like this.
  13. birdiemc

birdiemc Well-Known Member

I've not compared the recoil on the same rifle suppressed and braked, but I completely believe you on this one...but I will say it's nice to have a recoil reducing AND noise reduction in one device. My can ain't all that quiet (form 1 poorly designed) but I definitely notice reduced recoil on my .308win and I get to shoot without hearing protection...which but me I'm the butt the other day when I was shooting it and switched to an unsuppressed and forgot to put in my ear plugs my ears were ringing. Shooting put the back door of my shop, boy was that stupid

jareese likes this.
  14. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

I shoot a couple of 338 normas with tbac suppressors and the recoil reduction is significant. I believe it slows it to more of a push.