FFP scope for an elk rifle

My vote, get the Vortex LHT….you'll save a bunch of weight and get a far superior optic with amazing warranty to boot!

Used to guide Elk Hunts in the Maroon Bells (unit 43) off of horseback….having an optic that performs in all light settings, is lightweight & compact, backed by the best warranty in the business makes PERFECT sense!

Good Luck, PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice, please keep it coming. I'm talking with the guy who has that LHRSi in the classifieds, but we'll see.

For completeness, here's the list (plus the XTR3i that is supposed to be distributed soon):
View attachment 342219

I've been linearly interpolating between min and max FOV to get FOV at 5x and 12x to make an apples to apples comparison, I think that works but I'm not positive. The LRHS (and Mk5HD) don't do well on FOV, but are highly recommended by you all and I'm weighing that a lot higher.

Another vote for the LRHS/LRTS. I have several in each 3-12 and 4.5-18. I like both configurations a lot, but like the 3-12's better. Price is really not an issue for me.

There's not much else that comes close for size/reticle usability/ tracking reliability, IME. Would be nice if they had a locking turret, but I haven't really had trouble with ghost turning.

I was interested in the new ffp Tracts, but their reticle really missed the boat. I can't imagine it's visible much below 6x. Who needs 9 mils windage this side of a 1000yd shot in a tornado? Likewise, who needs 10 mil holdover without anything nearby for wind? Note to Tract, in a hunting FFP, Give 5 mils each direction from center and make the crosswires heavy so that you can bracket game up close on low power. Put something like the THLR as an option.

If you want to trim some weight and still have a rugged scope, take a look at the swfa 3-9. Elk are big. If you seriously can't hit one at 9x, it's way, way too far. Less X is more better for shots on big game in open country. Gives you a better chance of seeing impact and game reaction.

Last edited:
My vote, get the Vortex LHT….you'll save a bunch of weight and get a far superior optic with amazing warranty to boot!

Used to guide Elk Hunts in the Maroon Bells (unit 43) off of horseback….having an optic that performs in all light settings, is lightweight & compact, backed by the best warranty in the business makes PERFECT sense!

Good Luck, PM me if you have any questions.

The Vortex LHT is a far superior optic to what?

The Vortex LHT is a far superior optic to what?
To all of the options the OP listed…not going to get into a back and forth with you or anyone else about this. It is my opinion & I'm entitled to it.

To the OP, if you want any further comment from me on this subject? Please PM me, otherwise best of luck to you on your mission to prepare properly for a hunt of a lifetime!

To all of the options the OP listed…not going to get into a back and forth with you or anyone else about this. It is my opinion & I'm entitled to it.

To the OP, if you want any further comment from me on this subject? Please PM me, otherwise best of luck to you on your mission to prepare properly for a hunt of a lifetime!

As they say, you are entitled to your opinion, but facts are facts!

Seriously, was hoping you'd substantiate your opinion with the reasons you find it to be superior.

Last edited:
I bought a Burris RT25 awhile back now and have been super impressed with it to the point where I bought a 2nd for another rifle. These scopes are cheaper in the price range, I think I paid 7-800 first time around and 650-700 second time. They track perfectly through multiple events and the glass is excellent. I've done the usual things with them in the woods like the occasional smack off a tree or bang getting in or out of the truck and they have always held zero perfectly and functioned flawlessly. Really a great reliable scope that I often never hear anyone mention. I'm not biased to scopes either, own a lot of vortex, Leupold, bushnells and I love the Burris. The RT 25 has locking wind and elevation turrets and zero stop settings that are super easy to setup plus is FFP, well worth a look. Best of luck and hope to see some pics this coming season!

Hi guys. I know there are lots of similar threads and I've read many of them. But spending other people's money is fun, right? I'm looking for a scope to put on my .284 Win Tikka for an elk hunting trip to Colorado this coming season:
View attachment 341714
It will be my first western hunting trip, but I've been deer hunting in MN and WI and shooting PRS style competitions out to 1k so I'm at least a decent if not amazing shot. I want the scope to enable a harvest out to 600 yds.

I'm set on:
- 3-18ish mag range
- FFP, mil
- locking elevation turret
- not super heavy. I'd live with up to 32 oz, but would prefer <28 oz (1.75 lbs)
- $1k or less preferred, but I could swing up to $1250 (and can get a Tenmile or LHT for that due to a friend with dealer pricing)
- Will retain a zero well. Forgot this initially as I feel like it should go without saying, but given recent contentious forum posts on the LHT, maybe not? I've read all of that and not sure what to make of it.

I tried to include every decent scope I could find that meets that criteria on the list, but doesn't include an OG LRHS/LRTS as they're so hard to find (esp the 3-12). No, the PST doesn't have locking turrets but wanted it there for reference.

View attachment 341715

What have I missed, and of that what would you all recommend? Thanks.
If you can get the Vortex MIL/LE/FR, get the ffp Razor HD LHT for 1199$ from Sportoptics.com. That and the Mark 5's are the only good lightweight hunting scopes for long range. IMO. And both are under 26 oz's. Leupold has the VIP program but the Mark 5's are a few hunderd more. And the sfp Razor HD LHT for close range. But being a prs shooter and ffp guy myself I dont like sfp, but that sfp Razor is actually pretty nice for hunting <300 yards. I have hunted in WY for elk and deer. Where shots could be 1k but seems like there always under 100. Lol. My buddy did make a 383 yard shot last time out. I did his 270 win load development, his elevation was spot on but his windage was off, he forgot to hold for it. Bullet drifted and hit buck in the neck. Dropped it. Its always windy there. Which ever way you go just make sure you check/true dope at attitude. AB has always been spot on for me. I tape a dope card on the sun shade and have my Kestrel and range finder around my neck. Just incase I get to final make a LR shot. I tested my 270 wsm at 350 yards(15 mph FV wind) and 7RM at 475 yards(25 mph FV cross wind) out there and AB adjusted perfectly. Good luck and have fun. All these guys suggesting 30+ oz scopes have probably never humped at 7500+ ft of altitude. The Razor HD LHT line are all I'd buy.

Hi guys. I know there are lots of similar threads and I've read many of them. But spending other people's money is fun, right? I'm looking for a scope to put on my .284 Win Tikka for an elk hunting trip to Colorado this coming season:
View attachment 341714
It will be my first western hunting trip, but I've been deer hunting in MN and WI and shooting PRS style competitions out to 1k so I'm at least a decent if not amazing shot. I want the scope to enable a harvest out to 600 yds.

I'm set on:
- 3-18ish mag range
- FFP, mil
- locking elevation turret
- not super heavy. I'd live with up to 32 oz, but would prefer <28 oz (1.75 lbs)
- $1k or less preferred, but I could swing up to $1250 (and can get a Tenmile or LHT for that due to a friend with dealer pricing)
- Will retain a zero well. Forgot this initially as I feel like it should go without saying, but given recent contentious forum posts on the LHT, maybe not? I've read all of that and not sure what to make of it.

I tried to include every decent scope I could find that meets that criteria on the list, but doesn't include an OG LRHS/LRTS as they're so hard to find (esp the 3-12). No, the PST doesn't have locking turrets but wanted it there for reference.

View attachment 341715

What have I missed, and of that what would you all recommend? Thanks.
check the thread " athlon". lots of good input. i took one to africa for my ph last year and he is very satisfied. dont remember which one , but it was a gen 2, and was about $400 .

Also have had solid luck with the Bushnell lRTSi 4.5-18. I think the reticle is about perfect for ffp hunting scope. It's very usuable at all ranges even without illumination. And it's held solid. The zero stop is very well done. I often like 8-10x even on longer shots to track the shot better etc and it just works

If you can get the Vortex MIL/LE/FR, get the ffp Razor HD LHT for 1199$ from Sportoptics.com. That and the Mark 5's are the only good lightweight hunting scopes for long range. IMO. And both are under 26 oz's. Leupold has the VIP program but the Mark 5's are a few hunderd more. And the sfp Razor HD LHT for close range. But being a prs shooter and ffp guy myself I dont like sfp, but that sfp Razor is actually pretty nice for hunting <300 yards. I have hunted in WY for elk and deer. Where shots could be 1k but seems like there always under 100. Lol. My buddy did make a 383 yard shot last time out. I did his 270 win load development, his elevation was spot on but his windage was off, he forgot to hold for it. Bullet drifted and hit buck in the neck. Dropped it. Its always windy there. Which ever way you go just make sure you check/true dope at attitude. AB has always been spot on for me. I tape a dope card on the sun shade and have my Kestrel and range finder around my neck. Just incase I get to final make a LR shot. I tested my 270 wsm at 350 yards(15 mph FV wind) and 7RM at 475 yards(25 mph FV cross wind) out there and AB adjusted perfectly. Good luck and have fun. All these guys suggesting 30+ oz scopes have probably never humped at 7500+ ft of altitude. The Razor HD LHT line are all I'd buy.

By what criteria are you concluding that the Mk5 and LHT are the only good lightweight options for long range hunting?