Optimum scope for 1000+ yard elk and deer custom rifle

I have been a die hard Leupold fan all of my life, but my new Night Force NSX is truly amazing!!! Time will tell as far as service and warranty.....Leupold has set the standard there for years. I have an 8 - 32 NSX, but wish I had a 5.5 - 22, simply because I sometimes I end up in the bush, and 8x is simply to much. But for bench work and looooonnnnggg range hunting, I have seen nothing better than the NSX. I realy love that lighted cross hair.;) They are a little heavy, but, but I also have a 30" heavy bbl, so an extra pound is no big thing. I just wish I could use the NSX on my 1K light gun and make the 17LB weight limit.:mad::mad: I am "forced" to use my Leupold 8.5 - 25 LRT. I guess that I have had to make a lot tougher decisions than that before, so no big deal. Leupold makes a great scope, also.

Good luck!

+1 JWP !

Due to some State Dept problem, NF are not allowing the scopes to be exported with the zero stop feature. Not really sure what the big deal is ? I'm sure it will happen in the near future though. I would absolutely get the scope fitted with one.

Cheers mate

DUH

30-378 / 6-24 Zeiss

30-378 Improved with a 6-24x72 Zeiss

P1010202.jpg

P1010203.jpg

This is what I had built in 6mmNorma BR., but you could do the same in any caliber for the same money except I would put a Leupold scope on it because the extra pound of a Night Force can really wear you out carrying for long distances. The stock that you see is half the weight of laminated stocks and is as good as a McMallian A5. Don't worry about the recoil on a hunting rifle. You won't notice it when shooting at your trophy.

Here is what I did & how I did it to my new build.

My new long range popgun. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Popguns stock is finished. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

PS: This rifle is a "Hummer" shoots way under 1/2" at 200 yds. gun):)

Last edited:
I recommend the NF 5.5-22x 56mm; 8-32x 56mm may be better depending on your preferences. Cheek weld depends on the rifle. The two rifles I have one on I have no problems with it. I like the Barrett EX Rings. Light for their size, but super wide and strong. I can vouch 50bmg is no problem with this combo, so I doubt 338AM would be.

Barrett Rifles

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.