Scope for elk rifle

MDJACKSON417

First off I want to just say I am new to the forum and the long range aspect. I am in process of putting together a new rifle for elk hunting and have narrowed it down to what I think are 2 calibers, .28 nosler or a 300 WBY. I was leaning toward the .28 nosler due to all of the good things I have seen on it on the internet and reviews but, the guide we are using recommended at least using a 30 caliber gun. Any opinions on the is would be great I am open to suggestions.

As for a scope for the rifle I have been looking at 2 that are currently on sale the Swarovski Z5 3.5x18x44 or the Leupold VX-6 3x18x50 with the cds turret and a firedot reticle currently on sale for 899. Again with this I'm open to suggestions as to which would be a better choice, I am a believer in quality over quantity so of a person is going to spend a few thousand on a set up, 500 is not going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

I hope I am posting this in the right spot again I am new to the forum. Thank you all opinions will be considered as I am open to suggestions. I guess I should add they have told us to be prepared to take shot anywhere from 25 yards to 500 yards.

First off I want to just say I am new to the forum and the long range aspect. I am in process of putting together a new rifle for elk hunting and have narrowed it down to what I think are 2 calibers, .28 nosler or a 300 WBY. I was leaning toward the .28 nosler due to all of the good things I have seen on it on the internet and reviews but, the guide we are using recommended at least using a 30 caliber gun. Any opinions on the is would be great I am open to suggestions.

As for a scope for the rifle I have been looking at 2 that are currently on sale the Swarovski Z5 3.5x18x44 or the Leupold VX-6 3x18x50 with the cds turret and a firedot reticle currently on sale for 899. Again with this I'm open to suggestions as to which would be a better choice, I am a believer in quality over quantity so of a person is going to spend a few thousand on a set up, 500 is not going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

I hope I am posting this in the right spot again I am new to the forum. Thank you all opinions will be considered as I am open to suggestions. I guess I should add they have told us to be prepared to take shot anywhere from 25 yards to 500 yards.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Either of your chambering choices should serve you well and the same is true with your scope choices. It boils down to personal preference and your overall application/intended purpose(s).

You might also consider the .300 WM loaded with Berger 215/230 >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

You might give this a try if you plan on twisting Bushnell ELITE LONG RANGE HUNTER LRHS 4.5-18x 44mm.

I wouldn't trust the Swarovski since I had a few and don't. I had two Leupolds that seemed quite good, but I didn't twist them. The VX-6 had a slight advantage over the Swaros. I never had one of the LRHS but I do have other Bushnell 6500's. Their glass is outstanding; and they cost less than any of the above.

300 WM pushing 215 Bergers is a good choice as mentioned in a previous post. I also like the VX6 and I do 'Twist', however I like the TMOA reticle.

I think what your guide is advising is kind of a generic statement for elk hunters. But the 28 Nosler is a hot-rod, and fully capable for elk/moose hunting. Especially built with a 1:8 twist barrel, pushing the 195 Bergers.

But the 300 Bee is a classic elk cartridge too, I wouldn't want to take anything away from it's capabilities. :D

And I've seen that VX6 for sale at Cabelas. It's a great deal at $899.

For me (only because of my personal preference) I'd go for the 28 Nosler, and the VX6.

Thank you for all of the advice thus far. I have not picked a gun yet but went ahead and ordered the Vx-6 3-18x50 with the firedot duplex. I figured it would work well on either caliber if not it might be a nice upgrade for my .257.

You might give this a try if you plan on twisting Bushnell ELITE LONG RANGE HUNTER LRHS 4.5-18x 44mm.

I wouldn't trust the Swarovski since I had a few and don't. I had two Leupolds that seemed quite good, but I didn't twist them. The VX-6 had a slight advantage over the Swaros. I never had one of the LRHS but I do have other Bushnell 6500's. Their glass is outstanding; and they cost less than any of the above.

Can I ask what you didn't like / don't trust on the swaro? I've been thinking about picking one up with the current sales.

To the OP, 500yards doesn't require much magnification at all and with your 2 calibers, you likely won't need to turret turn to dial your shot (given your zero of course). When I had my 7mm zeroed at 300, I only needed to hold 4.5 MOA at 500, depending on your reticle, you may find some with MOA / MIL hold overs (which I am not trying to get into the dial vs hold over debate).

If possible head to a cabelas, gander, bass pro whatever you got in your area and take a look at your choices. Also ask if you can take them outside, which will give you a real feel for the glass clarity

Can I ask what you didn't like / don't trust on the swaro? I've been thinking about picking one up with the current sales.

Once I purchased a Nightforce 12-42X56, a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50, and a Swarovski z5 5-25X52. I used a line chart to compare them. After adjusting each one to show the best clarity or resolution at 521 yards on the lines, instead of a grey rectangle, I looked at the settings: Nightforce 12 1/4X, 6500 15 1/2X, z5 16 1/2X. Then after the sun set I did a low light test. The Nightforce smoked the other two; with Swarovski beat out the Bushnell.

At the time the Swarovski cost the most so I expected it to be the best. I returned it for a full refund and ordered another thinking I got a bad one. The next one was not as good as the first one and matched the Bushnell in low light. I mentioned to a shooter I was going to return it and he wanted it so I sold it to him. Again I ordered another expecting to get a good one. The next one matched the second one so I was going to return it. The same guy bought it also. Then I ordered another. It was as good as the first one so I kept it.

The Swarovski with a ballistic turret was mounted on a light rifle that with the scope and sling weighed 6lb 13oz. It was about like a .25 Gibbs. During the next two years I had to return it to customer service twice to have the erector replaced! It stopped functioning.

When it came back the third time I put it up for sale informing the prospective buyer it had been worked on by customer service.

The idea that two had good glass and two did not is utterly disgusting for a scope costing as much as a Swarovski z5 with ballistic turret. I bought another Bushnell 6500 to replace it. To my surprise it has better glass than the z5 and the other 6500 in day light and matched the z5 in low light. In addition to the glass being better than Swarovski the Bushnell has hydrophobic coating.

I sold the Nightforce because it was way over weight for what I want.

thanks for the info Wildcater! something i am going to look very hard at, i was about to hit ORDER until i noticed FFP on the LRHS model, might go back to the 6500 and see what the turrets are like.

anyways, sorry to derail this thread from the OP, but GREAT info nonetheless!

If you want a 28 Nosler, build a 28 Nosler and don't look back. Most guides know elk hunting, and generic firearms. They don't nerd out on forums for 5 hours a day reading information on every possible cartridge, nor spend hours every night getting the perfect handload. The 28 Nosler will do everything you want it to. If you're guide still has a problem with it, I'd find a new guide before I let one dictate which weapon I bring on a hunt. Especially when I can almost guarantee I know more about firearms and modern cartridges then they do. I personally shoot a .300 Win Mag, but would have absolutely zero hesitation using a 28 Nosler for anything in North America close or far. Build with confidence and shoot the hell out of it.

I have a Swarovski Z5 4.5-18X44 on my .340 Wby It replaced a Zeiss 4.5 -14 (conquest) which replaced a 20 year old Zeiss 3X9 Diavari-C.
The Swarovski is by far a clearer scope, in my eyes. I would not hesitate to go with another Swaro if the opportunity came up. It is head and shoulders above either of the Zeiss (in price also, I must add).

Thank you all again. I think I have ruled out the weatherby now after all the good things I have been seeing from the 300 win as well as even the 300WSM but the 28 is still looking like my favorite your just limited on ammo it seems without reloading yourself.
I went to Sportsmans Warehouse last night and looked at a Christensen Arms Ridgeline and really liked the feel of the gun and they are a decent price. I have been having some trouble finding many reviews on them and am not certain about the carbon fiber barrel. The also had a Nosler M48 that was a nice gun but it was heavier and didn't have a brake on it which probably isn't needed with the 28. It's going to be a pack rifle are there better options out there where I can get more for my money, I am trying to stay back of 2500 not including optics?

Some folks have had good results with a Legendary Arms Works in the 28 Nosler. Do some research as they definitely had some issues early on. In your price range. Several other brands I'm sure in your price range others may know. Good luck.

Take a look at the redhawkrifles.com website. I have one of their earlier ones, and have shot a couple others, they are excellent, solid rifles for a good price. You'll seen used ones occasionally as well for good prices. If you don't reload, and it takes some time, look hard at the 300 WinMag. or even the old .06. There is a lot of excellent factory ammo out there, and you can buy it nearly anywhere. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.