FFP scope for an elk rifle

Eric_F

Hi guys. I know there are lots of similar threads and I've read many of them. But spending other people's money is fun, right? I'm looking for a scope to put on my .284 Win Tikka for an elk hunting trip to Colorado this coming season:
PXL_20211208_040722339.jpg
It will be my first western hunting trip, but I've been deer hunting in MN and WI and shooting PRS style competitions out to 1k so I'm at least a decent if not amazing shot. I want the scope to enable a harvest out to 600 yds.

I'm set on:
- 3-18ish mag range
- FFP, mil
- locking elevation turret
- not super heavy. I'd live with up to 32 oz, but would prefer <28 oz (1.75 lbs)
- $1k or less preferred, but I could swing up to $1250 (and can get a Tenmile or LHT for that due to a friend with dealer pricing)
- Will retain a zero well. Forgot this initially as I feel like it should go without saying, but given recent contentious forum posts on the LHT, maybe not? I've read all of that and not sure what to make of it.

I tried to include every decent scope I could find that meets that criteria on the list, but doesn't include an OG LRHS/LRTS as they're so hard to find (esp the 3-12). No, the PST doesn't have locking turrets but wanted it there for reference.

Screenshot_20220216-112418~2.png

What have I missed, and of that what would you all recommend? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. That LRHSi is definitely tempting. I'm not seeing used Mk5's for less that $1400, and I could check into dealer pricing but I'd imagine it's around the same, and that's really more than I'd like to spend.

Has anyone used the cheaper scopes like Athlon Helos G2 2-12 or 4-20 and could comment on whether they're holding zero and tracking well?

To—some you may not have thought about:
Yes, no doubt call George Garner at GA —he had about 60 LRHS2 I think they are just a tick less than a 1k..I have owned LRHS since 2015–used the crap out of them and…yeah they work. (I own 4). The Tract UHD 2.5x15 for a tick under 1,100 is another stellar option although a bit heavier.

Also look at the maven RS.1 —really solid performance for the price…with the elevation turret is about 1300..but solid, solid scope for the dollar. You would have to do with out the locking turret —or just use it capped… (I own 2)

A step up look at the Mark 5 from Leupold—but $1800-2k

To get a bunch better—I think you need to spend major coin above these…I have a TT 315 hunter and yeah it's better…but 2.5k better than the Maven….ughhh…I'd have to think real hard

Last edited:
A lot will disagree with me on this, but I would not trust an Athlon.

I was sent a Helos to test. Failed miserably within 20 rounds. Sent it back and got a second. DIsaster.
Then was sent a Midas, same issues. After that one, I told the guy thank you for the opportunity, but no thanks.
They would not track, would not return to zero. At all. Not even close. 3 in a row. Tested on a 6.5SLR.

I have a buddy who had an original Cronus on his 6.5-06AI, then .280AI. It went down days before a NM pronghorn hunt we were going on (that he didn't diagnose until he missed several shots and switched to another rifle), and a WY pronghorn hunt following that. He borrowed my Premier for that WY hunt and a Mexico Coues hunt while waiting on a replacement. Athlon sent him a new Cronus BTR, and so far so good. 2 years and counting, but he doesn't shoot much.

I would have 0 confidence in them. 4 for 5 having issues of the ones I personally have shot behind is a telling tale for me.

A lot will disagree with me on this, but I would not trust an Athlon.

I was sent a Helos to test. Failed miserably within 20 rounds. Sent it back and got a second. DIsaster.
Then was sent a Midas, same issues. After that one, I told the guy thank you for the opportunity, but no thanks.
They would not track, would not return to zero. At all. Not even close. 3 in a row. Tested on a 6.5SLR.

I have a buddy who had an original Cronus on his 6.5-06AI, then .280AI. It went down days before a NM pronghorn hunt we were going on (that he didn't diagnose until he missed several shots and switched to another rifle), and a WY pronghorn hunt following that. He borrowed my Premier for that WY hunt and a Mexico Coues hunt while waiting on a replacement. Athlon sent him a new Cronus BTR, and so far so good. 2 years and counting, but he doesn't shoot much.

I would have 0 confidence in them. 4 for 5 having issues of the ones I personally have shot behind is a telling tale for me.
I would agree with you.

OP why not find a better scope that's used and save up a little more money.

Do you have other scopes on other rifles?
If si, sell them and use the money for one really nice scope.

I never understood guys won't down money on good glass, but have a svope on each rifle that adds up to be way more than a ZCO would cost 🤔

I'd have to side with Lance…I had shot behind a Cronus with some friends—thought it was alright—saw him about 3 months later and he said it "took a crap"—-not that they all could not do it—but I have shot 2 of my LRHS's a bunch…and they still preform

To—some you may not have thought about:
Yes, no doubt call George Garner at GA —he had about 60 LRHS2 I think they are just a tick less than a 1k..I have owned LRHS since 2015–used the crap out of them and…yeah they work. (I own 4). The Tract UHD 2.5x15 for a tick under 1,100 is another stellar option although a bit heavier.

Also look at the maven RS.1 —really solid performance for the price…with the elevation turret is about 1300..but solid, solid scope for the dollar. You would have to do with out the locking turret —or just use it capped… (I own 2)

Thanks all. The LRHS2 is on the list up top. Not locking turrets but we'll proven and I guess I could just use a sharpie haha. Either that or the used LRHSi are the front runners I think.

The Maven only comes in MOA, so that's out.

The Tract could work, plain mil hash reticle and no illumination aren't awesome but mostly I haven't heard much about the company either way, and it looks like that scope isn't out yet.

And I wish I could spring for a TT 3-15, but not in the next year unfortunately.

As to other scopes, my nicest one is an Athlon ETR 4.5-30 on my PRS gun which has been working well, but I've currently been playing the switching scopes game and I'm not a fan. Would theoretically work for the mountains but it's a little comical. Otherwise I've got a Weaver Tac 2-10 on my Grendel for deer hunting that maybe could work but that gets questionable after 400. So no, selling those would maybe get me to $2k so wouldn't step up to ZCO/TT money.

Attachments

• PXL_20211209_033354251.jpg
    PXL_20211209_033354251.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 92
LRHS and Razor LHT have both been rock solid for me.

My only complaints are;

LRHS:
-no zero lock. This has never posed an issue for me in practice.
-a bit long and chunky. They make a light rifle feel top heavy. I prefer the 3-12x model and don't have any 4.5-18's anymore. Have not tried the LRHS2.

LHT:
-have one on a Tikka right now. Balances significantly better than the LRHS for me on a light rifle. (Weighs 8lbs all up)
-mag ring is stiff, especially when cold. Aftermarket throw lever is a necessity.
-illum is a little hoaky. It works, but too bright for night use and washes out before it becomes day bright. Fine for twilight though, as long as the battery is charged. Seems to kill batteries fast... I went through 3 batteries in one winter. Now I put a piece of scotch tape on the positive terminal, and remove the tape whenever I need illumination, which is very rare.

Sounds like you are on the right track, good luck on your hunt!

Edited to add:

Just noticed your rifle weighs 7.4lbs. In my experience, the LRHS balances really nice at that weight. Total weight will be right around 9lbs w/ scope.

Last edited:
I would echo the bushnell. Love mine started with a drm two and now they just keep growing. Now when I grow up I wanna be just like @lancetkenyon and buy a TT or a March. Now I'm young and impatient and I'm also currently spending more on experiences than items but of what you listed the bushnell of you go up then I look at what ever lance said he has good taste.

I bought an lrhs2. I like the reticle at all power ranges. Haven't had it long enough to comment on long term durability.