Lightweight Elk Scope

Looking for a new scope for my 300prc. Between my son and I, we have 4 hunts in AZ, UT, and NV. I have a nx8 4-32 but my son is having a hard time with the eyebox (so do I). Looking at the atacr 4-16 but don't like that it's heavy. Eyeballing the Swaro z5i, the Leupold vx6hd, and some others. I know you are limited with tracking the Swaro but I don't think either of us will be shooting past 600-700yds. I don't care about price. Opinions please?
I'm not a scope snob and generally accept a lot of scopes as fine for the job. If I had the desire to add a scope to the line up it would most certainly include a leupold vx6 as a top contender. It is a feature rich scope and the one I have used for the past 4 years has been excellent. I added a vx5 to my pistol project due to the generous eye box. Good scope as well, not as many features, but glass and turrets are solid. Both scopes are light for the capability, excellent hunting scopes, and relatively affordable.

I've had great luck with Leupold VX6HD, VX5HD, and Mark 5. Im partial to the mark 5 if budget isn't a factor. On the other hand, the VX5's have a great eye box and good glass for the money.

Vortex LHT 4.5x22x50 or a Leupold Mark 5 3.6x18x50.
These are pretty lightweight, ffp, with locking or covered turrets, and come in mil. Under 26 oz's is good for a hunting scope. Imo.
And both companies give a mil/vet/le/fr discount.

Last edited:
I love the NX8. The eye box works for me and the slight weight penalty just isn't an issue

Next up (for me) in the Zeiss V6. Great all around scope.

The Trijicon 10 mile and Leica are right in there.

I would not put a Leupold or a Vortex on a rifle that gets used hard, and where I would be in the middle of nowhere.

There are plenty of folks that like both of the above, I have just seen too many issues and if something goes wrong on a hunt you could find yourself in a heck of a predicament

I would add another vote for the Trijicon Tennile. I haven't had issues with mine, and I like the glass. I will have to admit that I've always had problems really differentiating between upper mid-tier (say $2k range) and top tier glass (say $3k range). When comparing side by side, it's just never been as obvious to me as the difference in jumping up from a sub $1000 optic. Since I can't tell huge differences in glass quality past that price point, I like to consider the warranty and lean towards a brand that would have continued, easy support in case something accidentally gets damaged while out in the field.

Lot of great suggestions here. I've been very happy with my 4-24 VH6HD and 4-20 VX5HD models. They're great for the weight, which I'm always keeping an eye on.

I used two 5-25 Swaro Z5 scopes for a few years and loved clarity the glass. Extremely light.

I've heard nothing but great things about the ATACR, but weight for the magnification ranges I prefer have precluded me from trying one.

I bought my first March this year and am happy with it at the range, can't wait to try it this year in the field.

A new option a trusted friend has recommended looking at is the Burris Veracity PH, I'm planning on picking one up to try.

I prefer the high end of magnification for range work, and for observing long range hunting details, as I don't carry a spotting scope. At 20x or 25x I can get in close to observe things I can't see with my 12x binos. We're in a great era of options for glass.

Good luck on your search, and your hunts