Scope for kimber lightweight?

remingtonman_25_06

So my gf likes the kimber 84m lightweight in 7-08. Can get it for $750 or so which is a pretty good deal I think, plis i secretly love the rifle anyway. The caliber will fit her and get the job done from antelope to elk out to 500 yards or so. Since this is a smaller rifle the bigger LR scopes im used to having isnt going to work so well. I need something with a 1" tube, 40mm objective, generous eye relief, max of 14 power, and needs adjustable turrets. Lets try to stay under $400 range. Whatcha guys think? Ive always been partial to Leupold but still open to suggestions.

I bought a 7mm-08 this year and put a Leupold on it. 3.5-10x40 VX-3i with CDS elevation turret. This scope has the windplex reticle so I can hold for wind if needed (windage turret is capped). The 4.5-14x40 version is the same size and weight but costs a little more. Like you said, this caliber is great out to 500 yards or so, and I figure a CDS turret is ideal for such distances.

I bought discounted gift cards for Cabela's on Ebay and waited for a coupon. Ended up paying around $360 for my scope. I also considered the VX-2 in a 2-7x33 w/CDS but couldn't find the deal I wanted. That scope is about an inch shorter than the VX-3i and would work nicely on a lightweight rifle. As far as I know they don't make the 2.5-8x36 VX-3i with a CDS turret from the factory. You can order one from Leupold but you'll pay full retail.

I just picked up a Vortex diamondback tactical 4-12 for my "light" .260 deer rifle. Can't tell you how it works as I haven't shot it yet, but I was looking for many of the same features as you and that what I ended up with. Worth a look, I read up on it and it has good reviews.

ive got a Kimber montana in 308. It wears a vx2 2x7 leupold. I know it doesn't have as big of an objective as you want but it does surprisingly well in low light and its smaller lighter size really compliments that gun and it didn't break the bank. Ive shot deer out to 400 yards with that gun.

remingtonman_25_06,

I can understand the 1" tube, but am curious why you limit the power to 14X. If there was a 4-16X40 that weighed the same as a 4-12X40 would you reject the 16X because it is 16X?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.