Falling snow effects on bullet path:

wyomingboy

Does anyone know what effects shooting in in light snow has on bullet travel? Planning on hunting in snowy conditions next week in the mountains of western Wyoming
and just concerned that snow must have some detrimental effects on bullet path. I'm thinking it must reduce velocity over long distance, say 500 yds?
Anyone have any experience with this?

Maybe the Military did some experiments in snow and rain?

Cover muzzle and keep scope caps closed. I usually carry the action and scope section under my arm or inside a military style poncho. The Swedes make a good surplus poncho for a rifle to make a quick shot. Good luck.

Negligible effect on bullet travel with rain or snow at any reasonable difference (say, out to 1,000yds). Water in your barrel or water in your chamber would have more effect with pressure differences. Keep your muzzle taped and action sealed off and you're good to go.

As others have mentioned, visibility is likely to stop you long before ballistics will.

Shoot between the flakes
Or shoot a creedmoor, I shoot a very high pressure load a mix of rl26 and 4350 that shoots so fast the flakes evaporate before bullet travels through them and then the vapor recompression happens after, like a rammer trail.
Here is a pic of a round nose bullet I tried to see if I could slow down the performance I was seeing.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Snow will have no effect on bullet travel. keep scope caps closed and put a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle to keep snow out of the muzzle. Enjoy, I love hunting in the snow.

If the snow is moderate to heavy you won't be shooting at anything 500 yards away. Light snow, don't worry.
I agree with this! Visibility will be your enemy! I have never been able to see past about 300 yards in snowy conditions, the high mountain peaks I hunt normally lend to fog and wind leading me to change my hunting tactics as opposed to long range glassing and shooting. I have killed some whopper Blacktails in the snow, but most under 100 yards. I am sure western wyoming will have some wind to go with that snow, maybe walk slow thru some steep bowls or wind breaks and be ready for bounce bounce boom!. Good luck and cheers. Jason