Opinions on bullet

Cnkhunting

I have 3 bullets that shoot fantastic out of my 7mag. 160 Speer sp, 175 Berger, 162 eldx. All three are groping 1/2" to 5/8". What would you pick for elk?

162 eldx, not a fan of Berger hunting bullets. Tried them once on a deer and they failed miserably, bullets fragmented on impact. Accurate as all get out but the eldx is designed to hunt. Never tried Bergers on anything bigger than a deer. The one bad experience was enough for me. Swift Aframes and nosler partitions have never failed me. I run 168 AMAXs in my 308, never had them fail, so some match bullets work better than others. The eldx is the best of both worlds IMO.

162 eldx, not a fan of Berger hunting bullets. Tried them once on a deer and they failed miserably, bullets fragmented on impact. Accurate as all get out but the eldx is designed to hunt. Never tried Bergers on anything bigger than a deer. The one bad experience was enough for me. Swift Aframes and nosler partitions have never failed me. I run 168 AMAXs in my 308, never had them fail, so some match bullets work better than others. The eldx is the best of both worlds IMO.
That's what they are designed for.

Did you harvest the deer?

Last edited:
That's what they are designed for.

Did you harvest the deer?

Yes, but it took three shots and I had to finish it with a eldx. I was testing bullets in one of my 270s. It was during Covid. All I could find were Berger 130 hunters. When we recovered the deer and processed it, it had three holes behind the right shoulder about an inch and a half apart. The right lung was completely destroyed with bullet fragments all in it. The left lung was untouched except for where the 145 eldx passed completely through leaving about an inch exit hole on the left side behind the ribs. First shot came at just inside 100 yards, the last at just over 230. We have discussed it on here before. Some have suggested we were pushing them to fast, data says 2950-3000fps based on the load using W760. The dang things shoot in the same hole I really wanted to like them but if BC were not important to me I would shoot a standard cup and core soft point over the Berger for hunting purposes. I shot the OTMs for tactical and comp purposes as well as Hornady AMAXs. I love them for there intended purposes. I like Berger better than Lapua Senars. My go to bullet for LRH is the ABLR, shooting them in everything at present, have not had to kill anything beyond 250 with them yet, but that could change on a probable Sheep hunt this fall. The trick to getting them to shoot is to start them 50 thou of the lands and don't push them to hard, they will literally drop in the same hole just like the Bergers but they stay together. I am a fan of pass through and a deep and wide wound channel. JMO and experience.

Yes, but it took three shots and I had to finish it with a eldx. I was testing bullets in one of my 270s. It was during Covid. All I could find were Berger 130 hunters. When we recovered the deer and processed it, it had three holes behind the right shoulder about an inch and a half apart. The right lung was completely destroyed with bullet fragments all in it. The left lung was untouched except for where the 145 eldx passed completely through leaving about an inch exit hole on the left side behind the ribs. First shot came at just inside 100 yards, the last at just over 230. We have discussed it on here before. Some have suggested we were pushing them to fast, data says 2950-3000fps based on the load using W760. The dang things shoot in the same hole I really wanted to like them but if BC were not important to me I would shoot a standard cup and core soft point over the Berger for hunting purposes. I shot the OTMs for tactical and comp purposes as well as Hornady AMAXs. I love them for there intended purposes. I like Berger better than Lapua Senars. My go to bullet for LRH is the ABLR, shooting them in everything at present, have not had to kill anything beyond 250 with them yet, but that could change on a probable Sheep hunt this fall. The trick to getting them to shoot is to start them 50 thou of the lands and don't push them to hard, they will literally drop in the same hole just like the Bergers but they stay together. I am a fan of pass through and a deep and wide wound channel. JMO and experience.
Again, Bergers are fragmenting bullets designed to dump all their energy on impact. Before switching to Berger, I am a long-time user of NPs, NABs (not LRAB), NBT, A-Max, etc. If you do not like fragmenting and want a pass-through, Berger is not the best choice for you.

One of the things that made me switch to Berger is that it does not need a pass-through to be effective. I have a few selections of leaded and lead-free bullets in various calibers, but the Berger remains my go-to bullet of choice. And that's the beauty of having plenty of options to choose from. I have been using Berger for two decades and have harvested antelope, deer, and elk up to 931Y without any failures/no follow-up required.

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

Berger 175 out of my 7SAUM at 140 yards. Inside of elk…

IMG_1986.jpeg
IMG_1988.jpeg

I'm curious. What was the distance, the muzzle velocities, and did you clear or alter the tips? Was the shot on the shoulder or broad side? Not meant to be a ding on you. I'm just trying to find out the pertinent information. TIA.

I'm curious. What was the distance, the muzzle velocities, and did you clear or alter the tips? Was the shot on the shoulder or broad side? Not meant to be a ding on you. I'm just trying to find out the pertinent information. TIA.
130 hunters 24" barrel Sako 85 270 win @ around 3000 fps broadside at just inside 100 yards for the first shot and just inside 200 for the two subsequent shots all broadside right behind the shoulder lung shot. The group measured just over an inch. I described it above in my second response. I am not offended by questions it is just my experience and that is exactly an experience of one. After the failure I never used them again. In forty years of hunting I have never seen that happen and I have killed hundreds of deer in my lifetime. I prefer cup and core for deer and the eldx or ABLR for elk and such. JMTs

130 hunters 24" barrel Sako 85 270 win @ around 3000 fps broadside at just inside 100 yards for the first shot and just inside 200 for the two subsequent shots all broadside right behind the shoulder lung shot. The group measured just over an inch. I described it above in my second response. I am not offended by questions it is just my experience and that is exactly an experience of one. After the failure I never used them again. In forty years of hunting I have never seen that happen and I have killed hundreds of deer in my lifetime. I prefer cup and core for deer and the eldx or ABLR for elk and such. JMTs
Ah I see I missed your second response. For shots 250 yards and less maybe the AB would serve you best. Or a heavier Berger. If the ELDX is working for you then I can't argue with that. My buddy's go to bullet for elk in a 270 win is a 140 BT. His range limitation is 400 yards or less. But whatever works with you is fine.

Since the OP is asking about the 7mm RM I'd choose the 175 EH. I'll be testing my 7mm RM with Hornady 180 ELDM's but the 175 EH has been well proven by Lance and other hunters here on LRH. I believe @Creedmoor shooter used the 180 ELDM to take some elk and deer with his 7mm RM.