Active Elk hunting outer layer clothing and boots for snow/rain?

Sitka all the way and pack a light weight roll up rain coat I hunt eastern Oregon also
I have a very lightweight Kuiu rain shell. I can't remember the specific name. About the thickness of a very lightweight wind breaker and no insulation. I thought I might need something more substantial for the cold? Is there a specific waterproof Sitka shell you like for active hunting? Thanks

Boot-wise...it's gotta fit YOUR foot...my foot (supposedly) is well-suited for a pair of Lowa Tibet GTXs (according to Lathrop & Sons), but I've got a pair of L&S Boots on the way. Crispi, Lowa, Hanwag, Schnee's, La Sportiva, etc...all good boots 👍🏻
A few I haven't heard of, thanks. Curious about insulated vs uninsulated for snow/colder conditions?

I don't know if they still make these, but I have a pair of Cabelas MT050 that I have warn hard for the past seven years and they are still going strong. Not sure if I would purchase from them since they have been bought out by BassPro.

Congrats on your upcoming hunt. I have been hunting that area for 20+ years. I personally would not be so concerned about Gortex but more about a few quality layers. We are a fairly dry climate and you will shed most snow. As someone had mentioned,,, wool. It seems we all have tried the newer technology but we all end back up with quality wool products.
I actually have an older Cabelas pullover wool sweater that has a windbreaker layer in it that I have worn for years. It fits loose enough I can fit a down vest under it. Thus letting me shed either or both later without packing to much weight.
Now if you said you were hunting Western Oregon I would be recommending Gortex. Good luck.
That's good local advice! I guess I have hunted western so long I just assume it will be wet if warm enough even though it gets much less rain on that side. Just snow and cold would be a blessing! Thanks!

I don't know if they still make these, but I have a pair of Cabelas MT050 that I have warn hard for the past seven years and they are still going strong. Not sure if I would purchase from them since they have been bought out by BassPro.
Hey Rick, by "pair" I guessed you were talking about boots? The only thing I found under that name was a GORE-TEX Parka? Thanks.

The boot for me is the Lowa Renegade GTX. They have served me well. Like mentioned above, I would also recommend a good pair of gators. I use the Kuiu gators and am satisfied with them. As for the outer shell I will be upgrading this year. I have a set of Nomad Barrier pants and jacket that I bought on clearance about a year ago for cheap. Cheap was good at the time but the Nomad does not have pit zips or hip vents and I paid what I saved in sweat. I plan to pick up some Kuiu or Sitka with vents for this year. For a base layer I was good with a set of merino 200 weight pants and top. For early morning and late evening I used a vest over the top. Good Luck on your hunt!

My Kuiu rain gear has better moisture management than GoreTex, but doesn't get much use in S. Texas and Mexico. Think in layers, wool next to your skin, then tougher fabrics for pants and shirt, insulating layer (I usually just have a down vest under a rain jacket keeps me plenty warm), and rain jacket/pants. Your rain pant will take a beating if you bust any brush so get the ones with a tougher material. Don't cut corners on boots and gaiters, they will make your life better. I killed a pair of Danner Pronghorns hunting in MX and upgraded when I got back to Kenetreks...learned a painful lesson on footwear in a very inhospitable place.

"Eastern oregon" takes in a huge amount of area......6-7000'
Purdy high mountains....but depending upon your terrain....dont over dress...worse thing to do....make,sure you have a decent windproof coat and if need be a tarp....
If you're only looking at day hikes..in and out...about anything will work......i still prefer the fleece pants for warmth and quiet.....i have a few different weights of that....some are too hot to hike in....but feel good if having to hike out late..or pitch camp.....

Congrats on your hunt. I put in for Steens a couple of times but never drew.
I cannot offer area specific advice, since all my elk hunting has been west of the Cascades.
Nor have I purchased anything like Sitka.
My 2¢:
  1. Except for my hip boots and Wellies, I've never had a "waterproof" boot stay that way. I prefer leather that I can oil up well. Currently my insulated Danner Loggers do nicely for that. As long as I'm not standing in water, my feet are dry. The added benefit is the boots breathe, and I don't soak by sweat from the inside like I do with Gore Tex lined boots. I also find these are the quietest. Nothing like crunching your way through the forest or a rocky outcrop to announce your presence. Whatever you get, be sure you break them in and get your feet used to them.
  2. Rain gear and outer layers: my single most important criteria is it be quiet when rained on. I bought an outfit one year and it was like drumming in the rain. For pants I'll use Columbia PFG. I wore out my pair of Kuhl oil cloth trowsers. Those are fantastic but I haven't bothered trying to replace them. After years of trying to find a good coat, I borrowed a Driza-bone duster. That thing is awesome. Sideways rain and I'm dry. I traded for it.
  3. Warmth: Layers, period. Base layer, second layer if need be, and top layer. Something that dries out fast and is comfortable. Base layers are thermal poly-pro wicking (think snowboarding or climbing). If it's cold enough, I'll use my Icebreaker middle wear. Wool top, quiet, water repellent trousers. Nice thing about layers is you can peel off to accommodate temperature swings.
  4. Socks: you cannot say enough to highlight how important these are. I bring several pair.
  5. Gloves: Whatever fits and gives you good tactile response. I use a pair of thinsulate / removable fingers.

The boot for me is the Lowa Renegade GTX. They have served me well. Like mentioned above, I would also recommend a good pair of gators. I use the Kuiu gators and am satisfied with them. As for the outer shell I will be upgrading this year. I have a set of Nomad Barrier pants and jacket that I bought on clearance about a year ago for cheap. Cheap was good at the time but the Nomad does not have pit zips or hip vents and I paid what I saved in sweat. I plan to pick up some Kuiu or Sitka with vents for this year. For a base layer I was good with a set of merino 200 weight pants and top. For early morning and late evening I used a vest over the top. Good Luck on your hunt!
Awesome tip on the pit and hip vents! I alway forget about that feature when considering this subject. Even with GORE-TEX and other "breathable" fabrics I think you will sweat climbing out of a canyon bottom. If you think about it, it is probably really the only way to adequately let the heat out and still stay somewhat covered from the snow and rain.

How are the Lowa's waterproofing after a few years? Thanks.

My Kuiu rain gear has better moisture management than GoreTex, but doesn't get much use in S. Texas and Mexico. Think in layers, wool next to your skin, then tougher fabrics for pants and shirt, insulating layer (I usually just have a down vest under a rain jacket keeps me plenty warm), and rain jacket/pants. Your rain pant will take a beating if you bust any brush so get the ones with a tougher material. Don't cut corners on boots and gaiters, they will make your life better. I killed a pair of Danner Pronghorns hunting in MX and upgraded when I got back to Kenetreks...learned a painful lesson on footwear in a very inhospitable place.
I have older Danner's that are still waterproof after many years. Last year I bought the Vitals and was unimpressed. They took a lot of abuse and didn't seem completely waterproof. I was just considering the Pronghorns but think I will take your advice and invest in a higher end boot. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts