Snow chain recommendation?

+1 on Peerless Chains. Also highly recommend you practice few times in your driveway so when you need to put on in bad weather, familiarity gets you going faster. Once you set the right links for adjustment, place bright color zip tie on the correct link so you don't have to count links and just go to right one without thought.
👍🏼

I meant "only" on ice or deep snow covered pavement! I should have been more clear.
If it's primarily ice or intermittent ice/pavement…..I use cables on the front of my truck (4x4). Aids in stopping and steering, wherever the front end goes…. the @$$ end will (eventually) follow! memtb
😳👍🏼😉

Standard chains in the front and Vbar in the back . 10mph is max and dont push that !
I put the rear set on to get me going when in trouble ...then put the fronts on when I'm in way to deep and need to back out !

They are a "MUST " have Living in Montana!

No " BS " they will save your Life !

Good Luck out there !

Rum Man
Montana or Michigan 😉

No one has mentioned it yet. Snow CHAINS not cables work great in mud just leave them looser so they sling it free. Also, on cam lock allow a little slop, and dont cinch them super tight they work better.

I put on chains without tensioners when I was young. The chains slid off the tire and wrapped around the axle. It was getting late in the day and the mud was starting to freeze. It was a bit like a taffey pull getting those chains off the axle. I've never gone without tensioners since.

I got stuck in the mud pulling my travel trailer. I tried to chain up the front tires on my Superduty, and there wasn't enough clearance.

I got stuck in the mud pulling my travel trailer. I tried to chain up the front tires on my Superduty, and there wasn't enough clearance.
Clearance is my issue also. I know many trucks can't run them on the front due to hitting the spindle. I used them on the rear this year and thankfully they got me out, just not as good as being on the front

A couple of half tons I owned I had to put spacers on the front wheels so I could fit chains on them without hitting front end components. Toyotas especially were bad for this. On the rigs I drove we built our own chains to fit each unit. We usually built super singles for the rear and standards for the front. I still do that for my one ton pickup today. I always use long bungees. I put the first hook on the end of any stray links and then go straight across and then angle in a weave pattern until the bungee is maxed out. On pickups it usually only takes one per tire. I don't have any stray links on the inside hook up because it might flap around and hit something breakable. Always do up the inside links first. Front wheels are easier to chain than rear because you can turn the wheels out to expose the hook ups. For trailers I use a lightweight diamond pattern chain that way there is always chain touching the road. They don't have to be heavy because no torque is being applied to them. All you want is for them to keep hauling in a straight line and not trying to pass you on the steep downhills. I don't know if they still sell them but we always used "monkey links" for a quick repair on broken cross links. Since I retired I don't wear chains out like I used to so I haven't gone looking for them lately.

I have chains and cables. I have to say watch chains as they require a lot of clearance even with factory tire size on Chevy trucks. That's when I picked up cables. I also put them on all four corners and even instances where I had them on trailer as well as Ofbandg mentioned.
Seen a time it snowed 3' in one night in Colorado catching us by surprise and It sucked putting chains on in that stuff. Another time it was ice and the peerless v chains was the only way to go and that was a scary ride down the mountain.