Elk outfitter recommendation needed

trophy8

I am looking for an elk hunt for me and my dad for next year. New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Arizona, etc. Neither of us are in tip top shape but I will fix that for me haha. He is getting older and I don't want to have crazy terrain that will make it not enjoyable but still want a nice hunt. I can shoot long range but he really cant so I am not looking for a long range hunt however, he will be using one of my rifles and I feel comfortable with having him shoot up to 500 yards. I would prefer not to have to draw a tag but will entertain that option as well. We do not need to be wined and dined, we just want a quality elk hunt with a good chance at getting on nice bulls and it not cost an arm and a leg. I would like a good shot at a 280-300" or better elk. If you have a recommendation please let me know. Thanks in advance and good luck this season!!

Call Randy Slaughter at Banded Peak Outfitters. Based out of New Mexico, but also has Ranches in Colo near Chama. Runs a tight outfit, his guides been with him for years, and has excellent success. His # is 505-979-1349. Hunted with him several years.

You will have a difficult time drawing a tag in most of the states you mentioned. To be assured a hunt in a couple of those states, landowner tags can be obtained. However, none or cheap and usually much more expensive than if you were lucky enough to draw a tag.

I hunt New Mexico by purchasing a landowner tag through an outfitter by the name of Keith Williams. He guides in Arizona as well and puts his clients on some dandy Bulls.

Good luck on your quest.

I've hunted Express UU Bar Ranch in NM with older hunters quite a bit and have always been successful. They have a lower elevation hunt in unit 54 that would be perfect and it's a rifle hunt during the rut too. Hundreds of bugling bulls are amazing! There are first class lodge accommodations and the guides are excellent. Everything is private property on 180,00 acres. It's not exactly a walk in the park hunt but it's not rugged mountainous timber either. I have taken older hunters there just for that purpose. This is NOT a high fence hunt at all. The downside is it's pricey: $6000 for a management bull and $12,500 for regular bull. Their bottom limit for a regular bull is 330" but there's no problem doing that and better. Even their "management bulls" are pretty darn amazing. John Caid who built and managed the legendary White Mountain Apache Reservation herds in AZ is the manager at UU Bar and the herd is reflective of his expertise.

Steve West at Steve's Outdoor Adventures TV has an amazing catalog of hunts in the states you describe as well as landowner and CWMU tags available. They are more affordable and having filmed and done business with Steve I can vouch for him 110%. His website is stevehunts.com I think.

If you just want some cows and are not opposed to Wyoming you can get OTC and half price cow tags and hunt the migration / depredation hunt outside of Jackson. Actually you can get left over tags, permission to hunt in the National Elk Refuge and more. It's largely treated as a road hunt but if you're will to get out and hike a bit you can get a non-road experience pretty easy. I've had up to three tags for that hunt and we filled over 20 tags last year there mostly for youth and senior hunters. The downside to that hunt is it is migration dependent, it's around Thanksgiving and its usually about -20 to -24 degs before the elk start to move. It's a great way to see herds as large as 1000+ right in front of you. Also, there are Tag-em Drag-em teams there with horses to help you get your elk out for a modest fee.

That's about all I can think of for now.

~Robert

Give Alan a call at Two Bear Outfitters, out of Hamilton Montana. He guides usually out of 270 unit and has some awesome animals. I usually hunt in the archery season and have seen numerous bulls in the 350+ range almost every year. Just not the archery shot for a traditional stickbow guy. The unit is a unlimited draw unit and if you put in by Mar 15 you will draw it every year. Good luck

8, Arizona tags are a tough draw, even for residents. Have some friends that have purchased landowner tags in Utah and New Mexico, but they are not cheap. Guided landowner hunts are even higher. Good luck

I've never hunted a game ranch. I have nothing against hunting game ranches. For some hunters who have physical limitations, game ranches are their only way of hunting. Because game ranches have an unfair advantage of genetic engineering of their private property, I do not believe that game taken from ranches should be included in record books. I'd be good with their having their own record book. Besides that, I'm an Adam Smith capitalist. People ought to be able to do what they want with their private property.

trophy8, I can tell you that fair chase elk hunting on National Forest lands is one of the most physically demanding sports I've ever tried. So if your dad is not up for a whole lot of hard work, a ranch hunt might be the way to go.

Here's the practical part of Rocky Mountain elk hunting: without a whole lot of bonus points, your odds of success won't be good. It might take at least 20 years of bonus points to get into an authentic trophy are rut hunt. In essence, it'll be a once in a lifetime hunt. But such a hunt will pack a lifetime of memories in a few short days. In some limited entry areas, the odds of a record book trophy are pretty darn good.

Land owner tags in legitimate trophy areas can be very expensive. But if you don't mind paying a small fortune for a chance at a huge bull, pull the trigger on such a hunt.

I would say just buy an Idaho tag & go hunting. My friend & I were bear hunting all weekend & the bulls were screaming. Elk are my least favorite critter to hunt but Idaho has a lot of them.
Thanks, Kirk

I ended up buying a hunt for next year from C Bar Z outfitters in Colorado. A guy needed to let his spot go due to some family matters so it helped him and me. Doubt I kill a monster west of Trinidad but you never know!! Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.