Snow chain recommendation?

This year, we had to chain up everything to get out of elk camp. I have a Ford F 250, and a 16 foot cargo trailer for the elk camp. On the rear of the Ford I use the heavy duty cam lock chains. On the front, I have a lighter set of vbar chains. I use tension rubbers on all of them. On the trailer, regular chains don't work. I have to use the light weight "cable" chains so they will fit and not rub the trailer body. The thirty minutes it takes to chain up changes the situation from extremely dangerous, to completely safe. Good luck!

+1 on Peerless Chains. Also highly recommend you practice few times in your driveway so when you need to put on in bad weather, familiarity gets you going faster. Once you set the right links for adjustment, place bright color zip tie on the correct link so you don't have to count links and just go to right one without thought.

+1 on Peerless Chains. Also highly recommend you practice few times in your driveway so when you need to put on in bad weather, familiarity gets you going faster. Once you set the right links for adjustment, place bright color zip tie on the correct link so you don't have to count links and just go to right one without thought.
Great tip on the zip tie. Not sure if it was you who posted that in the past, but I got that tip here and it really saves time for us with bad memories!

I use these heavy duty ones with the Vbar and cams on my duramax. Not on the highway though, only as/when needed. Really useful when plowing at my place.

I meant "only" on ice or deep snow covered pavement! I should have been more clear.
If it's primarily ice or intermittent ice/pavement…..I use cables on the front of my truck (4x4). Aids in stopping and steering, wherever the front end goes…. the @$$ end will (eventually) follow! memtb

Last edited:

Zip ties are almost a necessity!

Add to this something to lie on whether in snow or mud… I keep a piece of Astro-Turf (outdoor) carpet. It sucks to get wet or covered in mud! memtb

Picked up a pair of these this year for a half ton pickup and have no complaints. Going to evaluate how much room I have up front, would like to get chains for all fours.