Snow chain recommendation?

Need some tire chains. Any suggestions?
Need more info.
I keep 2 sets in my pickup. One is a lighter square profile chain for on the road. They have a pattern that keeps them on the tread surface and really do well on hard pack snow and ice.
The other set are big lug mud type chains that work really well on Forest Service roads and such.
If the snow is super deep and/or slick I'll put both sets on.

I also have a couple of sets of VBar chains that work really well but you need to be positive of fender clearance because they'll tear shoot up if they contact a plastic flare or inner fender.

I don't chain often, but when I do I use a floor jack. A little 2 ton floor jack fits under the seat of my truck and I lift the tire. Put on the chain, then lower. Repeat 3 more times. Much simpler than they to drive on them.

If you have the chains with bungie stars, use 2 stars per tire helps keep it tight.

Standard chains in the front and Vbar in the back . 10mph is max and dont push that !
I put the rear set on to get me going when in trouble ...then put the fronts on when I'm in way to deep and need to back out !

They are a "MUST " have Living in Montana!

No " BS " they will save your Life !

Good Luck out there !

Rum Man

Attachments

• 20200425_140824.jpg
    20200425_140824.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20170118_110550940_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170118_110550940_HDR.jpg
    1,017 KB · Views: 79
Another handy tip we picked up this year is to carry a couple good size rocks with you. Lay the chains out flat put your rock in the center and drive up onto the rock. Gets the wheel off the ground so you can wiggle and slide the chain around on the tire.
I'm going to put two 2x4 blocks in my chain bag's now !!!
Thank you for sharing this !

Rum Man

Laclede V/Bar Cam locks. Run them on PU's, Tractors, Heavy Trucks. They hold up to spinning, digging with loaded trailers over semi rocky terrain and run down the highway just fine.

My step-dad had me practice putting chains (well cables, it was a VW Caddy) on by draping them over the tire rather than driving onto them. Not in an area where chain use is common, so no idea if this is the usual or an unusual method. Sure made it fast and easy.

I've taken to carrying a cheap shower curtain liner in all of my 4WD's for when I do need to lay on the ground under or near one. Light, cheap, and folds up small. Should be waterproof (!!)

My father in law would go to trucking companies and buy their broken sets and then set them to fit his truck tires. They are heavy duty. He runs them on front and back. Probably not for running on the highway but in the boondocks when needed they are the best.

+1 peerless auto trac. Used them for two seasons now. Did great in the bitterroot wilderness area and other places off-road while hunting in Montana

My step-dad had me practice putting chains (well cables, it was a VW Caddy) on by draping them over the tire rather than driving onto them. Not in an area where chain use is common, so no idea if this is the usual or an unusual method. Sure made it fast and easy.

I've taken to carrying a cheap shower curtain liner in all of my 4WD's for when I do need to lay on the ground under or near one. Light, cheap, and folds up small. Should be waterproof (!!)
Same way my MN born and raised Grandpa and Dad taught me, chaining up trucks (duallies), tractors, etc... even horses! :) Ok, that's a little stretch ... he screwed in ice caulks on their shoes when he used his team for winter pulling.

Carry some wire of similar to tie up the extra chain on the inside so it doesn't dangle and cut your brake line. Mine fit a couple different tires so I don't cut off the extra links.
I have had a few crossmembers pry open(cheaper chains and cables) so I generally do a small tack weld where the arrows are in the picture. The spider type tensioners are great too.
chain2.jpg
chain.jpg
spider.jpg

Last edited:
Carry some wire of similar to tie up the extra chain on the inside so it doesn't dangle and cut your brake line. Mine fit a couple different tires so I don't cut off the extra links.
I have had a few crossmembers pry open(cheaper chains and cables) so I generally do a small tack weld where the arrows are in the picture. The spider type tensioners are great too.View attachment 420567View attachment 420568View attachment 420576

Love the "spider type" tensioners also! memtb