Effect of Moon phase on hunt...

It seems to me during full moon deer head to thickets before sun up.also don't move as early in evening.but you can't shootem from the couch.and there is always exceptions to the rule.but as far as scheduling timeoff,hunting trips,I try to stay away from it.

I have a cow tag for the same season and area plus areas 4 and 5. We had the tag last year. A few years before that I had a buck tag in those units during the same season. I'm not sure if you've hunting that area but you're going to need to do a lot of driving and looking through binoculars. If the elk are in unit 3 and 301 they are usually moving. I spoke with folks who hunted late second and early third season and they were seeing quite a few elk in those units.

Elk are usually moving through that are during 4th season. The late season they somewhat stay on that ground. I'm not sure the moon will have much affect in those units but I've been wondering myself.

You'll probably see a lot of hunters driving around. Being on private land will reduce the hunters on the property but there will be plenty of hunters on the road especially if the elk are moving through. I wish I had a chunk of private ground in that area this year. Good luck!

During full moon periods animals tend to feed more at night. If its overcast play it to your benifit, they may be active. They will be bedding most of the day, so sitting and glassing those bedding areas would be the choice. Glass the water holes, side slopes, lower bottoms of ridges. Might get luck with weather front or deep freeze seems to get them active. Good Luck

I think I shoot 90% of my deer in moonlight.
They tend to be more shy if the sky is totally clear and some clouds that's moving is ideal so the light conditions change between good light for shooting and dark enough for them to feel safe.
I'm quite sure they are more active in open land when there is no moon.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.