Opinions on bullet

Since the OP is asking about the 7mm RM I'd choose the 175 EH. I'll be testing my 7mm RM with Hornady 180 ELDM's but the 175 EH has been well proven by Lance and other hunters here on LRH. I believe @Creedmoor shooter used the 180 ELDM to take some elk and deer with his 7mm RM.
I have the 175 EH and 180 ELD-M lined up to try on my 7MM SAUM. I figured I'd try the 162 ELD-M and 168 Black Hole first.

Last edited:
I'm a bit hesitant to recommend the eld x for anything just based on numerous reports I've heard.

I'm also reluctant about the berger. I absolutely do use match bullets for hunting sometimes but I love exit wounds. Just a good insurance policy. If everything goes right you don't need an exit 😁. I don't make it my practice to expect that everything will go right.

So of the bullets listed I'll be the odd man out and unapologetically say that if it was me hunting with that rifle I'd use the boring and basic 160 grain Speer. They're low tech and old fashioned and I've had nothing but good accuracy and field results in days gone by with the Speer hot cor and btsp bullets.

175 Elite Hunter is a hell of a bullet. If there may be 500+ yd shots, I'd lean hard in its direction. But I've also killed elk under 200 yds, got thru and thru and immediate death with it too. If you hit the big shoulder bone there's going to be some bloodshot to trim for sure, but there will be with any bullet. The only eld x bullet I've killed with is the 200 grainer, 308 cal. It worked well on mule deer but out of my 300 mag it's 2900 fps so not crazy fast. The Speer bullets I shot back in the day were called Deep Curl I believe. This was an excellent bullet for deer, pigs and bear. I never killed an elk with it. It has a low BC and should be used 400 yds and under. It's a flying brick.

Since the OP is asking about the 7mm RM I'd choose the 175 EH. I'll be testing my 7mm RM with Hornady 180 ELDM's but the 175 EH has been well proven by Lance and other hunters here on LRH. I believe @Creedmoor shooter used the 180 ELDM to take some elk and deer with his 7mm RM.
I've taken deer, but no elk. Elk are a bit scarce in New England lol.

But for whitetail the 180 eld-m is a heck of a projectile. I launch them at about 3019 fps. I have a thread dedicated to documenting the terminal performance of the eld-m line.

But for whitetail the 180 eld-m is a heck of a projectile. I launch them at about 3019 fps. I have a thread dedicated to documenting the terminal performance of the eld-m line.
I believe that. I love the eld m! Ive used the 225 grain 30 cal version and it's an absolute lights out. I wouldn't want to hit an elk or moose shoulder with it though. I'm sure it'd kill just fine but holy meat destruction. It's one violent bullet.

I'll take the eld m over the eld x any day. To me the eld x is neither fish nor foul, a compromise bullet that tries to be two different things and can't. The SUV of bullets 🤣

That analogy comes from me being disillusioned with large SUVs as impractical vehicles. They try to be a truck and a van at the same time and cannot haul or do rough dirty work like a truck can, nor are they nearly as good for hauling a bunch of people around as a van is. I was one of those guys, before I had kids I told my wife to slap me if I ever suggested a minivan…now, four kids later, I sure love my minivan 🤣. We used to have a big SUV…worse mileage than my dads 1/2 ton truck and you realize how awesome a vans sliding doors are when you have car seats to take out in a tight parking lot haha.

I believe that. I love the eld m! Ive used the 225 grain 30 cal version and it's an absolute lights out. I wouldn't want to hit an elk or moose shoulder with it though. I'm sure it'd kill just fine but holy meat destruction. It's one violent bullet.

I'll take the eld m over the eld x any day. To me the eld x is neither fish nor foul, a compromise bullet that tries to be two different things and can't. The SUV of bullets 🤣

That analogy comes from me being disillusioned with large SUVs as impractical vehicles. They try to be a truck and a van at the same time and cannot haul or do rough dirty work like a truck can, nor are they nearly as good for hauling a bunch of people around as a van is. I was one of those guys, before I had kids I told my wife to slap me if I ever suggested a minivan…now, four kids later, I sure love my minivan 🤣. We used to have a big SUV…worse mileage than my dads 1/2 ton truck and you realize how awesome a vans sliding doors are when you have car seats to take out in a tight parking lot haha.
We've killed stuff with the eld-x ans it kills well. We just find the eld-m shoots better and kills just as well if not better.

So of the bullets listed I'll be the odd man out and unapologetically say that if it was me hunting with that rifle I'd use the boring and basic 160 grain Speer. They're low tech and old fashioned and I've had nothing but good accuracy and field results in days gone by with the Speer hot cor and btsp bullets
Another odd man here unless you are talking more than 400 yards and then I'll recommend the Berger.
Speer bullets ain't new and fancy with great BC but works wonderfully at reasonable distance.

"IF" you are guaranteed the perfect, standing, broadside shot, any of those three will work nicely…..provided that you don't shoot though the shoulder. Of those three, the Sierra should give a bit more room for error!

"IF" you are forced to take a steep angled raking shot, or a "Texas Heartshot" or go home empty handed….none of those you listed! memtb

"IF" you are guaranteed the perfect, standing, broadside shot, any of those three will work nicely…..provided that you don't shoot though the shoulder. Of those three, the Sierra should give a bit more room for error!

"IF" you are forced to take a steep angled raking shot, or a "Texas Heartshot" or go home empty handed….none of those you listed! memtb
Why is that? Makes no sense.

Ah ok, might have been one of the guys from another forum.

When you mention that all shoot fantastic, I am assuming you are talking about 100 yards. If you can stretch it out to say 400-500 yards, see if the shooting fantastic still holds true. If you can do it on a fairly windy day, it will tell you even more. Every bullet you mentioned will work in perfect conditions at reasonably short range. Best of luck on your hunt.

I'd be fine with any of those 3 bullets for elk (and remember this is an elk thread not a deer thread...)

If I had to pick one of them I'd go with the Speer but wouldn't loose a lick of sleep with a Berger