enviromental corrections-what do you use?

Looks like I mis typed on my post....the wind is to 1500 yards, not 1000.

And I figure 75% for a 3/4 - 1/4 wind. I think that the actual push is closer to 80% of full value, but reducing by 25% seems easier.

KIS. keep it simple. The simpler the better and everyone has their own methods that work for them. I do have a chart as well that goes in the neoprene sleeve of my cheek cover. These don't have fractions of values, but that is easy math in my head, or use my ipod or phone.

The chart is only used if the conditions in the field are close. I prefer to have a chart handy though. You never know if the device you have with you is going to fail or be misplaced at the critical time.

Chart will not load correctly on here.

Thanks guys. My method is a lot like others here. I'll post pictures later non if I can. .

I have exbal on a PDA and shooter on my phone. And of course jbm on my computer. I have my data book with all things written out in it but I have a small survey rite in rain book in a small cover with an additional even smaller rite in rain notepad. The large data book doesn't go in the field for hunting admits to big and not simple. So I carry my little note book for quick reference. I use da for all calculations and have my charts set up in 1k' increments. If I have time and its a longer shot I'll plug everything in to the PDA but I trust my charts anyway as I wrote them down from exbal. I bought a hunting license holder that is clear in one side and I slide my cards in and out. My cards show a 5k' change in da and each one overlaps a bit so I don't have to change cards too much. In LA I don't need but 1 card. But traveling has taught me that solutions are different at different places. I love it

Thanks guys

Thanks guys. My method is a lot like others here. I'll post pictures later non if I can. .

I have exbal on a PDA and shooter on my phone. And of course jbm on my computer. I have my data book with all things written out in it but I have a small survey rite in rain book in a small cover with an additional even smaller rite in rain notepad. The large data book doesn't go in the field for hunting admits to big and not simple. So I carry my little note book for quick reference. I use da for all calculations and have my charts set up in 1k' increments. If I have time and its a longer shot I'll plug everything in to the PDA but I trust my charts anyway as I wrote them down from exbal. I bought a hunting license holder that is clear in one side and I slide my cards in and out. My cards show a 5k' change in da and each one overlaps a bit so I don't have to change cards too much. In LA I don't need but 1 card. But traveling has taught me that solutions are different at different places. I love it

Thanks guys

Last year a wolf hunter was talking to me about his drop charts and all confused about how he missed a 950 yard shot. He had 4 or 5 sheets. My mind went numb with his complicated methods. I think he got himself all sorts of confused. I would have spent some time trying to understand his issue but he was not a good listener. I truely believe in KISS.

I have a little excel program I made up that I can fill in the blanks, print the page, cut it out, and I use packing tape to seal it up. I will do 2 charts and run them back to back so I have 2 solutions, front and back. This usually covers current hunting conditions several thousand feet elevation changes. If you have a range finder that calculates slope for a corrected distance then no cosigne math is required. The only unknown change would be coriolus.

While out wolf hunting yesterday I took out my 6.5-384 and ranged a patch of snow on a rock at 836 yards. I dialed the solution based on shooter and sent a round at the golf ball sized patch. It was pretty small. I was about 1" high and 1" left. For a cold bore 1st round hit I am quite pleased. This is what I look for. So I then looked at my chart and verified if it was good to go. It was within .25 MOA.

Last edited:
Horus Kestrel 4500NV. No longer must I take into account baro, humidity, elevation or any of the other problems associated with the environment ( except downrange wind ).
This little device calculates head wind, tailwind, wind values, baro, humidity, elevation, density altitude, heck even spindrift. There is even a place to enter angle of inclination/declination. It has the ability to store 50 different ballistics or 50 different rifles. This is great for shooting different bullets for practice if you are shooting expensive bullets at game.
Has a range card on one screen. Can give shooting solutions in either Mils, SMOA , or TMOA. and as far away as 4000yards. ( Like I am ever going to try that far )You tell it what Latitude you are at and it factors in coriolis.
It is waterproof. I have not tested that , but the advertisement claims it is.

There are some cons.....
Unit is small so it has a small screen. Not so ideal for people with vision issues.
Takes batteries. To compensate,I take extra batteries and I also print charts and take them with me.
Is expensive, but worth every penny. Seems like a very expensive windmeter until you see what can be done with it.

So anyway, that's what I use.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.