What to do??

Yes I would agree! Do you compete or have shot at a match before ? Let me know what you thoughts are . I'm a little intimidated by all the great gear and shooters out there ! but this is the year , I have a great gun and would like to see how it stacks up ! weather is looking like we may survive another winter time to get out and do some shooting Mike
Were you not a little or alot intimidated when you went to school the first day? How about when you asked out a new girl the first time? First day at the new job?...You adapted, you made it. When you compete....only compete with you...don't worry about the other person. Only shoot to improve yourself and one day folks are going to say....Man I hope one day I will be able to shoot like that Guy. We compete everyday of our lives in one fashion or another...so shooting in a competition is just another day....greet it that way!

Were you not a little or alot intimidated when you went to school the first day? How about when you asked out a new girl the first time? First day at the new job?...You adapted, you made it. When you compete....only compete with you...don't worry about the other person. Only shoot to improve yourself and one day folks are going to say....Man I hope one day I will be able to shoot like that Guy. We compete everyday of our lives in one fashion or another...so shooting in a competition is just another day....greet it that way!
Well said ! Inspirational and very motivating!! I'd say more but I'm going shooting right NOW ! thanks we all need a little push and some affirmation at times in our life Mike

Jeff it sounds like you have been having fun experimenting with wildcats as well !! Thanks for sharing your experience. Did I understand that you shorten a 50 BMG and necked down to 375 , 25+ grains more or so powder than a Barrett 416 . And that was a barrel burner ? Until you necked it up to 416 ? I'll bet that was a great cartridge as a 416 ! The snipetack is that an improved cheytac straightener case walls and a 35drergee shoulder and some more case capacity. are you running about 140/150 grains powder.?on a 375 caliber bullet? How is barrels life on that set up . ? I have heard that H50 powder is both hot and hard on barrels . In trying to get to and understand the different ideas on barrels burners would you say it's the large amount of powder and the smaller caliber bullets that cause the problem? Or it's case design as in long thin or short and fat that creates the problem ? And if you had two different cartridge one long and smaller diameter say cheytac 150 gr powder ,and one short and large diameter say a 2" BMG 150 gr powder burning same amount of powder and same caliber same primer same 95 precent fill rate . Do you think the there would be a different results in barrel life ? I know guys are divided on cartridge shapes and size . This cartridge I've Developed is 1" shorter than a 50 bmg 240gr and 1/2" shorter than 416 Barrett 185gr my 2" 375 uses aprox 155 gr powder 215 fed primer and is new brass made by RCC brass. So kind of like the snipetack or improved cheytac as far as powder capacity go's . You can see at mission shooting supplies some pic . And jeff thank you for the informed and concise response and information Mike
Yes it is holding about 25 grains more then the 416 Barrett
Barrel burner or really the throat eroding is the high volume or case capacity going through such a small hole compounded with having to shoot 10 to 15 rounds in a very short time as the clock is ticking away during ELR events.

Mike, most of the 375 Snipetacs in our area are using RL33 and in the mid 130s for a powder charge and pushing the 361s around 3037 - 3060 fps range. They're getting around 900 to 1000 rounds before seeing any major changes in accuracy.

I think where your 375 is really going to shine is the fact any one wanting a switch barrel and or is having issues with getting 50 cal primers can now take this 375 with the large rifle magnum primers and utilize the heavier bullets I think 427 grain bullet pushing in the mid 3000s as in your notes at 3037 fps is in a great sweet spot for speed, accuracy and barrel life. Either its a fluke or not we have came to the conclusion that with the big guns the 375s and 416s is finding the best bullet that allows a full case fill without compressing that floats in the mid 3000s - 3050 fps +/- easily without excessive pressure giving any shooter the best brass/primer pocket life - will also give you the best barrel life. As soon as you start pushing something lighter just to gain speed so you can get to 3200 or 3400 well there goes the throat and actually repetitive accuracy. I've seen many ELR shooters that now are happy to be in the range between 3000 and 3100 versus wanting speed.

I am super happy with the performance and barrel life after I necked all my brass up and switched to a 416 versus the 375, with 20n29 I'm pushing the 550s at 3030 to 3060 mattering on what load I want to use.

Dragsters are fun but also more finicky and expensive, and for some this is right up their alley for some great fun, nothing wrong with owning lightning stick

JH

Last edited:
Yes it is holding about 25 grains more then the 416 Barrett
Barrel burner or really the throat eroding is the high volume or case capacity going through such a small hole compounded with having to shoot 10 to 15 rounds in a very short time as the clock is ticking away during ELR events.

Mike, most of the 375 Snipetacs in our area are using RL33 and in the mid 130s for a powder charge and pushing the 361s around 3037 - 3060 fps range. They're getting around 900 to 1000 rounds before seeing any major changes in accuracy.

I think where your 375 is really going to shine is the fact any one wanting a switch barrel and or is having issues with getting 50 cal primers can now take this 375 with the large rifle magnum primers and utilize the heavier bullets I think 427 grain bullet pushing in the mid 3000s as in your notes at 3037 fps is in a great sweet spot for speed, accuracy and barrel life. Either its a fluke or not we have came to the conclusion that with the big guns the 375s and 416s is finding the best bullet that allows a full case fill without compressing that floats in the mid 3000s - 3050 fps +/- easily without excessive pressure giving any shooter the best brass/primer pocket life - will also give you the best barrel life. As soon as you start pushing something lighter just to gain speed so you can get to 3200 or 3400 well there goes the throat and actually repetitive accuracy. I've seen many ELR shooters that now are happy to be in the range between 3000 and 3100 versus wanting speed.

I am super happy with the performance and barrel life after I necked all my brass up and switched to a 416 versus the 375, with 20n29 I'm pushing the 550s at 3030 to 3060 mattering on what load I want to use.

Dragsters are fun but also more finicky and expensive, and for some this is right up their alley for some great fun, nothing wrong with owning lightning stick

JH
Hi jeff thanks for your insight and reference to what you have experienced with a big cartridge necked down to 375 . And the problem of to much powder with a small caliber bullet. I have a Barrett 416 love the gun and cartridge and that is what really started this wild cat I wanted a 375 in the 50 bmg case . But it was to much powder 180/190 gr . And I found I could design any thing I wanted and have cases made so first I looked at all the cheytac Variations and case capacity . But felt that the short powder column was the most efficient and that's was backed up by all the new cartridges coming out and there approval by some serious competitors That's the very reason I reduced the size of the Case and the powder volume by almost 40 gr less than 416 Barrett with my load in the 150 ish depending on powder used .I'm getting 95% fill or better with the most accurate powder with out hot roding the faster powders . This case likes 24N41 -RL 50- 20n29 -bmg50 i
I looked back in my testing notes and I have tried RL33 in the 145 to 148!range shot great also used - us 869 good groups and the only one that was not so great was vit 570 . This is a cartridge that shoots like a laser , is one of the most popular calibers 375 and as you said is an easy and less expensive conversation for the guys with 50BMG and 416 Barrett accuracy is the goal but with enough velocity for ELR I really think we will get good barrels life . I'm in this about 300/400 rounds and have not noticed any changes in seating depth or any degree of change accuracy in fact my son snd I were out yesterday we were shooting 2"-3" at 600 yards . . Again I appreciate your input and experience. I would like to see a good competitor shoot this gun . Take care snd have fun building new stuff!! Thanks mikev