What to do??

007-375

How do you get a great new cartridge (ELR-type) out to the guys who shoot in the ELR or ULR matches. I have what I believe is the best newest 375 caliber cartridge .the next logical progression of the.( rim to shoulder leanght ) 50BMG 3"/ 416 Barrett-2-1/2"/ now a375. 2" Same case 1/2 " shorter than 416Barrett. Holds 150/160 grs powder in a short fat case think -PPC or any of the new short fat cases BUT made for the same bolt face as the 50and 416 a new 375 cartridge just Change your barrel. I developed and tested over the last year 350 SMKs at 3250- 361 F L 3250–/402 cutting-edge 3150 -/427 CE-3069 and these are not max loads these are not max velocity, just a super accurate node for those bullets extremely accurate and low ES ! Brass from RCC , reamer rental , and pictures with info at mission shooting supplies this is to good to keep to myself so if you know a EL R competitor or just someone like me and want 2"/3 " groups at 1000+ yards check it out tell guys you know and have fun with this new cartridge thanks

You can sponsor a shooter to use your cartridge in a competition rifle.

You can compete yourself also.

If you or your sponsored shooter starts to place high enough, folks will ask what you're shooting.

Enjoy!

:)

In ELR events it will be a barrel burner on the throat, if just messing around and plinking at distance then you will get a better barrel life with the shortened up 50 necked down to a 375.

And yes it will be a laser capable of good numbers as far as speed and ES. I'm just stating it all comes at a cost being aggressive throat erosion.

JH

You can sponsor a shooter to use your cartridge in a competition rifle.

You can compete yourself also.

If you or your sponsored shooter starts to place high enough, folks will ask what you're shooting.

Enjoy!

:)
Thanks for the reply all good ideas! I would like to shoot at a long range match . And if not shoot just watch a few see how it all works. And now things are getting less complicated ( masks ect)that's on my list ! Yes most definitely have fun

Thank you for the reply. Good ideas
In ELR events it will be a barrel burner on the throat, if just messing around and plinking at distance then you will get a better barrel life with the shortened up 50 necked down to a 375.

And yes it will be a laser capable of good numbers as far as speed and ES. I'm just stating it all comes at a cost being aggressive throat erosion.

JH

Thanks for the reply all good ideas! I would like to shoot at a long range match . And if not shoot just watch a few see how it all works. And now things are getting less complicated ( masks ect)that's on my list ! Yes most definitely have fun

Participate or watch but it's infinitely more fun to participate! It's a hoot to shoot!

You can size up the match by reading about it (rules/scoring) then prepare yourself to actually go and shoot. No one will think any less of you no matter where you place. Everyone I've ever met at matches has been kind and helpful. Shooting a match to learn is a guarantee of a great time!:)

That's a statement that's way to broad with out some comparison .is this just an opinion or conjecture or do you have experience with any of the cartridges similar to this .please fill us in on you experience and qualifications to make that statement. improved cheytac holds similar powder amounts how many of those are out there ? 416 Barrett, 30 + gr powder same case but properly sized smaller .I'm not sure what that even means are you saying that compared to a 30-06 it will be harder on barrels or you saying compare to any of the new nozzlers or PPC ,WSM how about the 33XC ( tubs ) if you look at the calaber and powder capacity (150/160) along with the effortless 3250 on 350gr 361 gr bullet velocity I don't see much difference than any new cartridge being developed today but to run it at say 3500 sure it will be hard on barrels . I'm glad you responded and would like to hear more of you thoughts . And maybe a definition of barrel life on any of the above cartridges .would help with a quess at what will really will happen this is a new cartridge. Designed with a proven formula and based on existing cartridges but in a new size leangh and caliber thanks again let's keep the discussion going

Participate or watch but it's infinitely more fun to participate! It's a hoot to shoot!

You can size up the match by reading about it (rules/scoring) then prepare yourself to actually go and shoot. No one will think any less of you no matter where you place. Everyone I've ever met at matches has been kind and helpful. Shooting a match to learn is a guarantee of a great time!:)
I live in the north west Oregon I wondering if any one knows of events out this way.? There are a few 1000 yard ranges around maybe that's the place to start good luck with your shooting

That's a statement that's way to broad with out some comparison .is this just an opinion or conjecture or do you have experience with any of the cartridges similar to this .please fill us in on you experience and qualifications to make that statement. improved cheytac holds similar powder amounts how many of those are out there ? 416 Barrett, 30 + gr powder same case but properly sized smaller .I'm not sure what that even means are you saying that compared to a 30-06 it will be harder on barrels or you saying compare to any of the new nozzlers or PPC ,WSM how about the 33XC ( tubs ) if you look at the calaber and powder capacity (150/160) along with the effortless 3250 on 350gr 361 gr bullet velocity I don't see much difference than any new cartridge being developed today but to run it at say 3500 sure it will be hard on barrels . I'm glad you responded and would like to hear more of you thoughts . And maybe a definition of barrel life on any of the above cartridges .would help with a quess at what will really will happen this is a new cartridge. Designed with a proven formula and based on existing cartridges but in a new size leangh and caliber thanks again let's keep the discussion going
First off theres nothing wrong with wildcatting and pushing the limits I'm glad you're having fun with it.

I am only passing on my experience not assumptions or hearsay, they may be comparatively close in reason to make the statement I did.

Ive been working around the 375s since 2016 we started out with a case fire-formed was a 585 African - case head size in comparison would be equal steps in diameter as a 338LM to a 375 Cheytac to the 585 African case in which was necked down to a 375 - this was called a 375VM2 the 375VM2 had a few problems with the case wall being to straight but also the brass was to thick in the case head sidewall area and would not bounce back causing secondary extraction issues on fire-formed Bertram brass - new brass worked great.

so the 375VM2 project costed a bunch of money on a rifle that was supposed to be a butt kicker but failed.

So while the 375VM2 was being converted back down to a Cheytac bolt face we built multiple 375 Snipetacs that are doing well to this day within our group.

After the 375VM2 project got scraped back in 2017 we had a shortened up 50 cal necked down to a 375 built. Comparable to a 416 Barrett within 25 grains +
Excellent speeds from the 361s - 3250 - 3450 fps very easy. It was a laser and a tack driver. On the first barrel it made it through load development and testing on the 361s and 400s even the 400s were crazy fast and accurate while testing we were using H50BMG powder and the throat was eroding fairly fast. a second barrel had to go on the rifle in order to attend a ELR match in 2018 and we switched powders to a less abrasive powder in order to save the throat. This barrel made 10 rounds for breakin, another 10 in Colorado and 32 rounds in New Mexico - 52 rounds total with 30 of them used at a event shooting fairly fast under the timer-clock and 138 thou of throat erosion.

I know that Sullivan had a similar experience with his 375/50 wildcat as well as Garrett on his 375/50 setup.

If a feller wanted to shoot off a bench or prone and can pace himself and not heat things up you will have a tack driving lighting bolt - they are fun for sure but I know of a bunch of us that have to shoot multiple rounds while a timer is ticking away that the 375/50s just were tough on throats.
so 52 rounds = 138 thou of throat erosion the challenge is staying in a accuracy node and thats why a bunch of us went a different route.
I told folks its like taking a cutting torch and heating up the lead and throat of the barrel and hitting it with a sand blaster at the same time because you have all the heat coming out of the big case and into a small hole with powder flowing through as well as its burning.

So here again 1000s of dollars spent, that gets painful but thats pushing the limits and wildcatting for the best mouse trap. The saying is barrels are like tires on a Nitros dragster.

The cure to this was opening all the brass up to a 416 and chambering a barrel in the 416 - now we have enough area for flow and the throat is eroding like a normal barrel should, actually very good.

Maybe yours won't see this I sure hope you succeed, I hope this explains my reply.

Jeff Heeg
osoh

Last edited:
Jeff it sounds like you have been having fun experimenting with wildcats as well !! Thanks for sharing your experience. Did I understand that you shorten a 50 BMG and necked down to 375 , 25+ grains more or so powder than a Barrett 416 . And that was a barrel burner ? Until you necked it up to 416 ? I'll bet that was a great cartridge as a 416 ! The snipetack is that an improved cheytac straightener case walls and a 35drergee shoulder and some more case capacity. are you running about 140/150 grains powder.?on a 375 caliber bullet? How is barrels life on that set up . ? I have heard that H50 powder is both hot and hard on barrels . In trying to get to and understand the different ideas on barrels burners would you say it's the large amount of powder and the smaller caliber bullets that cause the problem? Or it's case design as in long thin or short and fat that creates the problem ? And if you had two different cartridge one long and smaller diameter say cheytac 150 gr powder ,and one short and large diameter say a 2" BMG 150 gr powder burning same amount of powder and same caliber same primer same 95 precent fill rate . Do you think the there would be a different results in barrel life ? I know guys are divided on cartridge shapes and size . This cartridge I've Developed is 1" shorter than a 50 bmg 240gr and 1/2" shorter than 416 Barrett 185gr my 2" 375 uses aprox 155 gr powder 215 fed primer and is new brass made by RCC brass. So kind of like the snipetack or improved cheytac as far as powder capacity go's . You can see at mission shooting supplies some pic . And jeff thank you for the informed and concise response and information Mike

Jeff it sounds like you have been having fun experimenting with wildcats as well !! Thanks for sharing your experience. Did I understand that you shorten a 50 BMG and necked down to 375 , 25+ grains more or so powder than a Barrett 416 . And that was a barrel burner ? Until you necked it up to 416 ? I'll bet that was a great cartridge as a 416 ! The snipetack is that an improved cheytac straightener case walls and a 35drergee shoulder and some more case capacity. are you running about 140/150 grains powder.?on a 375 caliber bullet? How is barrels life on that set up . ? I have heard that H50 powder is both hot and hard on barrels . In trying to get to and understand the different ideas on barrels burners would you say it's the large amount of powder and the smaller caliber bullets that cause the problem? Or it's case design as in long thin or short and fat that creates the problem ? And if you had two different cartridge one long and smaller diameter say cheytac 150 gr powder ,and one short and large diameter say a 2" BMG 150 gr powder burning same amount of powder and same caliber same primer same 95 precent fill rate . Do you think the there would be a different results in barrel life ? I know guys are divided on cartridge shapes and size . This cartridge I've Developed is 1" shorter than a 50 bmg 240gr and 1/2" shorter than 416 Barrett 185gr my 2" 375 uses aprox 155 gr powder 215 fed primer and is new brass made by RCC brass. So kind of like the snipetack or improved cheytac as far as powder capacity go's . You can see at mission shooting supplies some pic . And jeff thank you for the informed and concise response and information Mike
Mike
I'm working at a trade show this week for work, I will reply wih info when I get back home this weekend.

Jeff

Now that's good old common sense at its best!
Yes I would agree! Do you compete or have shot at a match before ? Let me know what you thoughts are . I'm a little intimidated by all the great gear and shooters out there ! but this is the year , I have a great gun and would like to see how it stacks up ! weather is looking like we may survive another winter time to get out and do some shooting Mike