338 285 amax. What do you think for elr.

HuntFarther

What do you think the 285 amx would do for elr. Do you think it would open up good for the elr like 1400 and out or what? I am not saying would it be better than the berger otm. But being they are soft do you think they would be the same as the elite hunter, I would thing they would open more consistent. May it be good or bad.
Also would it be a fair test of shooting them into test media, I seen John burns testing the bergers along time ago. He had a box and was shooting them into wet news paper sandwiched with a beef shoulder in there. He shot all the way to like 700 yards testing but ended up having a tough time hitting precise enough. I was wondering if I tested them, and I put them in one of these old 338 wins with a slow load and shoot at a distance where impacts would be about the same as the distance of 1400-1800 yards? I know nothing acts like flesh and blood. But would this tell me anything?

If there anything like the 208g version they should do great. I don't understand why hornady likes to be second behind berger.they should have bumped it to 300g and made something really special.although the 285bthp worked well for me accuracy wise and I'm sure the tooling must be the same? Only reason I can think they didn't make it a little heavier. A 300 amax you would think would be above that .8 bc . Would make for one bad amax. I'm thinking they'll work great at longer range maybe a tad soft for close shoulder shots on big animals. The 208 version never let me down. Problem for me is the big berger shoots so good in my gun I have no advantage shooting the amax.
I was hoping like the 30 cal offerings the price would be cheaper, in 33 cal they're about the same as anything else. I'm eagerly waiting for the 300g nosler custom comp at 47 per 100. That will be a good enough price break for me to save the bergers for serious stuff and practice with them if they shoot well but at that price I'm sure they'll be hard to find. Let us know how to the big amax works out.

They work great on deer! We have shot 2 deer out of a 280ai with them and they perform great. Not so great on elk. A body of mine shot a spike elk at 70 yards with the 280ai, high shoulder shot and the bullet blew up on impact. No penetration at all. This year a friend shot a six point bull with a 300wsm at 350 yards in the shoulder same thing. Another spike was shot this year with the same 300wsm by another friend at 25 yards, the bull dropped and on there way up to him the bull jumped up and took off in thick brush and they spent a couple hours looking before they ran into him and put another one in him. Three different bulls and they all blew up. Not sure if this helps at all, just are experiences with them. haven't done anything with a 338 or pushed them past a 1000 shooting the 280ai or the 300wsm.

I understand the high shoulder shot at long range---the need to incapacitate the animal in its tracks when you probably won't get a chance for a follow up. But why take the shoulder shot at all at close range on a deer or elk? It destroys way too much meat and too often results in bullet failure. Aiming for a "soft spot" in the ribs, right behind the shoulder, takes out both lungs and deer/elk seldom go more than 50 yards, leaving plenty of blood trail, and wasting virtually no meat. Just curious why anyone would take a close range shoulder shot on non-dangerous game if a double lung rib shot is available? I've asked my shoulder-shooting friends that question, and never got a convincing answer.

I'd like to hear more about the 280 AI load that your friend was using...what was the bullet weight, MV, and powder charge? How far does he shoot it accurately?

I have learned to either stick it in front of the shoulder bust the neck or behind the shoulder to keep away from potential bullet failure. I was just wondering if that 285 grain bullet would really put a hurting on animals and work reliably out far. I had a berger that everyone said tumbled and I was thinking so for awhile but that bullet didn't. You look at the hole through the shoulder area and it is .338 diameter not 1.5".

I think for the distances you are talking here one should look long and hard at true bullet BC's of each. Wind drift would be the most important thing I would be dealing with in an effort to place the bullet as well I I could and as easily as possible with the least amount of error.

Jeff

I understand the high shoulder shot at long range---the need to incapacitate the animal in its tracks when you probably won't get a chance for a follow up. But why take the shoulder shot at all at close range on a deer or elk? It destroys way too much meat and too often results in bullet failure. Aiming for a "soft spot" in the ribs, right behind the shoulder, takes out both lungs and deer/elk seldom go more than 50 yards, leaving plenty of blood trail, and wasting virtually no meat. Just curious why anyone would take a close range shoulder shot on non-dangerous game if a double lung rib shot is available? I've asked my shoulder-shooting friends that question, and never got a convincing answer.

I'd like to hear more about the 280 AI load that your friend was using...what was the bullet weight, MV, and powder charge? How far does he shoot it accurately?

I have always just liked dropping them in there tracks if possible, deer or elk. Elk on the other hand have a will to live and can take some punishment, as most us know. I personally don't like to put any more rounds than necessary to get them down. So shoulder is just personal preference. The 280ai shoots a 162 amax, mv is 2785, 26'', 9 twist, 59.5 h4831sc

Sorry the 280ai is mine and we have shot it to about 1000, and it shoots pretty good.
Haven't put it on paper. Like to shoot rocks

If you have ever hunted public land and had a trophy animal stolen, you would understand.

I only hunt public land, and have never had a double lunged animal go more than 50 yards...including a 330 B&C bull Elk. The thought of an animal being stolen if it went 50 yards never crossed my mind. I'd find another place to hunt if that were an issue.

I only hunt public land, and have never had a double lunged animal go more than 50 yards...including a 330 B&C bull Elk. The thought of an animal being stolen if it went 50 yards never crossed my mind. I'd find another place to hunt if that were an issue.

Congratulations, I'm glad you live in a utopia where everybody does the right thing and animals are DRT with every gunshot. Unfortunately most of us live outside that realm and there are a-holes everywhere now a days, you are bound to bump into one some day...and crap just happens.
The animal I speak of was a large whitetail I double lunged with a 140 grain Ballistic Tip from a 7mm Rem Mag. Made a good broadside 75 yard shot behind the shoulder while he was after a hot doe (instantly seen the red rose of death). He ran about 200 yards and died next to a road. Did the ole "wait 20 minutes to make sure he was dead" bit and he was picked up buy a passer by. I know this because a blood trail a blind man could follow ended at a huge pool next to the road. The friend I went hunting with had helped the guy load it into a truck. He didn't know it was mine.
I have also lost one that ran a short distance and jumped into a very large creek. It had flooded over and the water was quite speedy. I hit him broadside through the lungs with my 7 mag as well. Same thing, give it a wait and go see. Blood trail ended at the water's edge. I looked up and down both sides all day then again the next.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
I shoot to smash both shoulders and inflict as much damage as possible. I don't care if I loose some meat, the rest will taste better than none at all!

I really think that this 285 amax has something to offer. And if you only plan on hunting to 1000 yards I would think it would be really good. I would think good or bad it would expand all the time more consistently.
Broz does bring up a point but on the wind. There is a difference between the berger and the amax in the wind. But there is a difference in the toughness of the bullets and being easier to open down range. It is another situation noting is perfect. I cannot and will not say the bergers won't work. Was just hoping for something a little softer to open extreme range. I was talking with big and green yesterday and maybe the best thing for me to do is just finish putting everything together for the 338 snipetac. The answer might just be push the berger harder.

Elkcraz1....I was a little surprised that your 280 AI MV wasn't considerably higher considering the powder charge and 26" barrel. I would have expected around 2900 at least.

I got the gun from my shooting partner,and when he put it together that's where the load needed to be to match the reticle. Has a Nightforce velocity 600 on it. I'm sure we could pump them out faster, but no need.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.