How do you judge wind

The yearly average wind in Eufaula, Alabama, barbour county.
Screenshot 2023-12-15 174034.png

Yearly average wind speed where I am, in northwestern South Dakota:
Screenshot 2023-12-15 174106.png

If you want to learn how to shoot in the wind, you go to where the wind is... and the wind isn't in Alabama.

This isn't meant to take away from what barbour creek is doing. I have no experience with any of their training program... never been there. It's just a big of perspective for those looking on. Wind reading skill requires local knowledge, at its apex. Reading wind in alabama, is not the same as reading wind in the great plains, but someone that learns to read wind in the great plains can read wind anywhere on the planet.

Reading wind in a 20mph condition, is not the same as reading it in a 30mph ripping condition that shows you a valley of 15mph and a peak of 38mph. Even a ripping wind at 20mph with a 12mph peak to valley delta will humble the saltiest shooter from the southeastern USA. (calm place) They just aren't used to the wide open spaces and lack of trees. (or any meaningful structure)

Here, it breaks 30mph so frequently, we don't even say it's windy unless it's pushing 35mph+. It breaks 50mph nearly every month at most stations here locally, and 60mph is not entirely uncommon. We have storms that produce straight line winds in excess of 70mph that last for hours on end. The peak straight line sustained wind force sets records for the nation during big storms.

There is NO reading mirage out here in the wide open spaces with a spotting scope (any spotting scope) on an overcast day, in any real wind. (5-10mph is not a real wind) It's absolutely not happening. Even beneath 10mph on a true overcast day, there simply isn't enough humidity or thermal variation in the monotone cold central/western north to even dream of being able to see it. Often times, the humidity so low, and the ground moisture so low, that even with direct sunlight it can be difficult to see the mirage up here due to the lack of any meaningful structure (trees,etc) to contrast the monotone brown everything stretching on without end.

Overcast? Forget about it. No way are you reading mirage under any circumstance with any optic... and I have every expensive toy imaginable for doing so. A fleet of swaro bino's and spotters, $25k vectronix LRF's, 35x Tangent Thetas, etc. On those days, none of the optics will pick up mirage under any circumstances.

Again, to be very clear and emphasize this... I'm not taking anything away from barbour creek. I bet every single shooter would learn something if they went and took a course there. (and folks should go get training somewhere) They are obviously doing a lot of good for the discipline and should be encouraged to continue to do so. This is not to be combative, but just a quick reality check.

Yet that doesn't change the fact that a very windy day in alabama doesn't even start to twitch the needle here in northwest South Dakota. If you're going to shoot in alabama, go to alabama to learn to read wind. If you're going to go to the big expanses of the west to shoot, you better go there to learn to read wind.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I believe James from Barbour Creek has conducted training classes in New Mexico, Wyoming and other western states. Oh, and let's not forget his many years as a military sniper. I bet there was some wind somewhere he's been.

Last edited:
I believe James has conducted training classes in New Mexico, Wyoming and other western states. Oh, and let's not forget his many years as a military sniper. I bet there was some wind somewhere he's been.
Despite making a concession TWICE… that this was not meant to and doesn't take away from him… you still post this. 🙄

Visiting the wind, isn't the same as shooting in the wind every day.

It will never be.

Despite making a concession TWICE… that this was not meant to and doesn't take away from him… you still post this. 🙄

It will never be.
Thanks
Yes I lived in Wyoming for 2 years teaching schools at gunwerks I know western winds

But anyway yes big difference from 8 and 20 mph winds. Have shot in all of it over the last 36 years.

I teach 3 techniques, one will work for you depends on conditions. Some wind you just have to get closer or move to head or tail.

It will never be.
I UNDERSTOOD your intent, which is why you went into great lengths to include graphs and etc.

Yep we live in a society that it's important for us to keep up with the Joneses so we have to work more instead of doing without. For those that can go without usually learn to function and live with less. And unfortunately most of us don't learn that lesson until much later in life.
A bit of a diversion but I say everyday that the time is coming when a man that can use his hands, his senses, and apply some common sense will be a valued and scarce commodity.

I'm pretty new at shooting distances over 500. But I have had access to shoot out to 1200 for the last couple of years. I've studied the topic for the last 25 years but lack the hands on. I've enjoyed reading all of your posts. I cannot shoot prone anymore due to an accident years ago. Or sit flat on the ground for that matter.
It's a whole lot easier for me to get on target with my 65-06 than my 308 but I learn a lot more when using the 308. I shoot in a field that has some eddys, corners, hedgerows plus we get afternoon lake and sea breezes. The terrain is flat however and we are only 30 feet above sea level.
I use a wind meter occasionally, mirage, flagging tape at times, trees, grass and I reckon you'd call it pure S.W.A.G. on occasion. I got decent at reading wind speed when we were helicopter spraying years ago. It's all fun for me and I learn something every time I go out. Which makes it a perfect hobby for me. It pays off in my hunting as well.

Last edited:
I UNDERSTOOD your intent, which is why you went into great lengths to include graphs and etc.
Despite me saying what my intent was, you inferred your own anyway?

Ask him where he'd rather put on a wind class; Alabama, or eastern wyoming?

To teach wind, You need wind. To learn wind, you really need it.

When I take someone out and we can shoot every direction for 2 miles, whichever direction we want, and run every single angle to the wind, every terrain effect, ... you just don't get to do that very many places with any reasonable amount of wind east of the mississippi. Too much population, not enough space, and certainly not enough wind. The likelihood of the wind blowing whenever someone shows up in the plains is very good.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

When I take someone out and we can shoot every direction for 2 miles, whichever direction we want, and run every single angle to the wind, every terrain effect, ... you just don't get to do that very many places with any reasonable amount of wind east of the mississippi. Too much population, not enough space, and certainly not enough wind.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I hope you have a great day.

When I take someone out and we can shoot every direction for 2 miles, whichever direction we want, and run every single angle to the wind, every terrain effect, ... you just don't get to do that very many places with any reasonable amount of wind east of the mississippi. Too much population, not enough space, and certainly not enough wind. The likelihood of the wind blowing whenever someone shows up in the plains is very good.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

For someone to have a business that teaches people a skill. Then to be in an area that has a higher population vs an area with a smaller population, higher population will have a better success rate. Kinda tough to teach reading the wind online.

For someone to have a business that teaches people a skill. Then to be in an area that has a higher population vs an area with a smaller population, higher population will have a better success rate. Kinda tough to teach reading the wind online.
Oh, and here I thought we were talking about wind reading... not business.

Well from a business perspective, I want my students that show up to learn to shoot in the wind, to be able to have wind to shoot in. lol

Someone taking a wind class at barbour creek is far better off than someone not taking a wind class. Yet someone taking a wind class at barbour creek won't be as well off as someone taking a wind class from barbour creek IN WYOMING! Just a guess. 🤣

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Oh, and here I thought we were talking about wind reading... not business.

Well from a business perspective, I want my students that show up to learn to shoot in the wind, to be able to have wind to shoot in. lol

Someone taking a wind class at barbour creek is far better off than someone not taking a wind class. Yet someone taking a wind class at barbour creek won't be as well off as someone taking a wind class from barbour creek IN WYOMING! Just a guess. 🤣

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Teaching how to read wind is part of his business plan. So for James it is one in the same. For that business stand point, would you put a Walmart in Chance,SD where there isn't much population that would use it or would you put it in a more populated area? Why don't you open a long range shooting class and teach out there? It will give you an opportunity to teach people how to shoot in the winds of South Dakota. When I was there a few months ago the breeze was nice, sure beats July through October in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, and Texas where our winds get nasty.

I have... for a long time now.

... and Chance, SD would fit inside the walmart.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Oh sorry I didn't realize you had, just hadn't heard of you teaching. It even looks like on your website that you sell accessories and build what appears to be primarily rimfire rifles. Every experience I've had shooting rimfires and much of any wind if there's a lot of wind drift and it don't typically run a rimfire out to a 1000+ yds. My point about the Walmart being in Chance is exactly what you just said there's not enough population to support it. You put a business in an area where you have the opportunity to do more business. At least if you want a successful business where you deal with people face to face.