ELR What would you teach?

Another valuable tool is dry firing from prone.
Saves money and builds those neural pathways for muscle memory.
Practice, practice and do it some more.

I have never practiced dry firing, what would be my gain in % if I did this versus not? I'm not sure if I want my firing pin slamming to home with noting in the chamber. But seriously what does a person gain with that if they are pretty good at shooting?

Iamosoh

I have never practiced dry firing, what would be my gain in % if I did this versus not? I'm not sure if I want my firing pin slamming to home with noting in the chamber. But seriously what does a person gain with that if they are pretty good at shooting?

Iamosoh
This is a common practice for most serious shooters...

Believe me the best of the best dry fire a lot.
Jacob Bynum of Rifle's Only started recommending it in his The Fundamentals videos...

So yes, getting into position and practicing dry firing will absolutely make a good shooter even better.

Vamike9
I won't disagree with you at all, Jacob has done a great job with his training of shooters at Rifles Only for a long time. I hang with a tuff crowd and I just don't see much of it - dry firing, but maybe thats the level of experience within the group I don't know.

As a training discipline in a class or on the line dry firing buffers or helps a new or seasoned shooter manage the anxiety, nerves or folks that have a fear - flinching when stepping up to the line. It is a calming effect when the guys got the adrenaline shakes to build reassurance before going on the clock.

Cheers
Iamosoh

How to paint the target....whether it be a rock..steel plate..or piece of dirt...i think I can do a good paint job.....😎

Maybe a brief coverage of fundamentals but probably not needed. If a person is stepping up to ELR they should already have these down. If not they need long range 101 not ELR.
Spotter shooter communications are huge. Shooter must trust and listen to spotter. If he is ignoring the spotter input he is now spotting for him self cause if spotter says 5 moa right and shooter decides he's wrong and goes 3 moa right then spotter next call will be wrong or based off poor info

Patience is truly the best practice, in many cases.

If you don't take the time to get a good natural point of aim, steady your shot, control your breathing and pull straight back without jerking, you'll never hit anything precisely.

A good attitude is also required when teaching or learning most anything.

The fundamentals are key as so many of us have stated before.
A thorough understanding of your gear and skill level is another thing to factor in.

Practice your wind calling, that's what makes the real difference.

You can know ballistics like the back of your hand, shoot tiny 1/4 moa groups at 100yds, but if you have bad wind calls then your buddies sks will make better hits at distance if he factors wind and you don't...

Learn mirage, learn the wave patterns, use what you can to help you make that shot.

Up here in the hills we often have winds blowing different directions along the bullets flight path.

Learn to be confident in your skills as well. If you don't believe in the shot then as I've seen many times, you'll miss for whatever reason...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.